Wish me luck!

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Wish me luck!

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

Due to a system bugger-up, I have to reinstall my operating system. Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking, or the glow around my retail copy of Vista Home Premium sitting on my shelf, but I'm taking the plunge, Baby!

Wish me luck! :P

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool, good luck man! Vista isn't really all that bad, however there are some bugs that still need ironing out.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Wish me luck!

Post by LukePC1 »

Neil wrote: Wish me luck! :P
Ok I wish me luck...
I want you to make this/those next review(s)... There is something cooking, but we need to know, what and how it will compare to other stuff.

You are going to become a PC builder in a while :D
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

The pain! The pain!

I'm bringing my computer up to speed, and this install has taken longer than expected. However, it's working! :P

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hours later, I'm finally installing my first game.

Shame about Creative XFI users. I have a 6.1 speaker surround sound system, and their Vista drivers only support 5.1 and 7.1. Also, you need to use their "Alchemy Project" to get EAX support in games to get around Microsoft's architecture change. :(

Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ok, so far I'm not a happy camper. The performance loss is really significant. Any tweaking recommendations?

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Neil wrote:Ok, so far I'm not a happy camper. The performance loss is really significant. Any tweaking recommendations?
When loading Vista fresh it needs to do all this pre-caching/indexing in order to work properly (especially while you are setting it up, installing a lot of stuff, etc.). It has to do with how Vista manages memory. You can google "superfetch" for more info. After you get it all set up it will get faster. I think it takes a few weeks to stabilize.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

c:\format c: :P
Neil

Post by Neil »

Maybe it's not so bad. I discovered that my RAM timings were off and I wasn't in dual channel mode - but this doesn't make THAT big a difference in real world performance tests.

However, I got to thinking, I should get a third hard drive and have a special XP setup for testing on the same machine. Man...I'm not looking forward to my next hydro bill.

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Or you could have made more partitions on your current drive. I separated a 750 GB HDD in three partitions and I installed three OS : XP, Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit. I choose which of the three to load at boot, usually Vista 64. The other two are for fallback purposes when something does not work in Vista 64 bit (like the stereo driver of the VR920).
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Neil wrote:Any tweaking recommendations?
Go here and download this guide. It has a pretty comprehensive list of tweaks:
http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
daws
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by daws »

Well, it's about some month that I'm using Vista, on my laptop. Well after initial disappointment on low 3dmark score, I'm going to change my mind. Basically for my experience, game performance are very linked to video driver. Vista in particular is growing performance on every driver release, I'm speaking about nvidia. Also after many test by myself I found that real game performance dosen't match so close what 3dmark says. I've done many test using fraps to check in game fps, and found many times very close score, if not equal, compared to XP SP3 32 bit with the same driver version. In some case I've also found better performace in Vista than XP, like in SuperBike 2001 ! (a very old game) probaly due to a better memory management.
Vista still has some minor bugs, but after some time you'll fell it more "solid" and "reliable", expecially after tons of programs install, things that can make XP really slow.

Anyway you need a decent hardware. Expecially 2 GB of ram are ok, more are very better!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

daws wrote:Vista still has some minor bugs, but after some time you'll fell it more "solid" and "reliable", expecially after tons of programs install, things that can make XP really slow.
The one thing I like about Vista is that CTRL-ALT-DEL works pretty much every time unlike XP where sometime it just wouldn't give you control back. Also, Vista seems to get faster with time, whereas XP just gets continuously slower.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I just wanted to add that gaming performance in Vista and XP is definitely comparable. I have XP and Vista installed on separate hard drives, and the performance margins between the two operating systems is very negligible.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”