Intel versus NVIDIA chipsets mobo choice?

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Intel versus NVIDIA chipsets mobo choice?

Post by Silversurfer »

After my disasters with 3 SLi NVIDIA chipset motherboards (1 x 680i & 2 x 790i) over the last three months I have been reading reviews on the Intel x48 chipset mobo’s and just need to clarify whether there would be any issues with stereo 3-D on an Intel chipset mobo? Any comments welcome.

Cheers, Silversurfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

It depends!

Here are things to consider:

1. What S-3D solution do you want to use?

According to my sources at NVIDIA, in the case of the interlaced monitor solution, there is no benefit to SLI because the resolution (half of 1680 X 1050) is too low for SLI to pump things up. This is why going into stereo mode doesn't significantly reduce framerates - half the performance for each eye.

If NVIDIA was supporting something that had full resolution to each eye, and I expect they will one day, then SLI would have more importance. Mind you, if you have two underpowered GPUs in SLI, maybe this would make more sense - but if you are upgrading your motherboard, I suspect the GPU isn't far behind.

2. Flexibility

If you want something that can handle an NVIDIA single card solution with a multi-card option further down the road, make sure the motherboard supports AMD's CrossFire and be open to buying AMD GPU's further down the road - at least until NVIDIA officially supports full resolution options.

That's my take, but see what others think.

Regards,
Neil
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

Neil wrote:It depends!

Here are things to consider:

1. What S-3D solution do you want to use?

According to my sources at NVIDIA, in the case of the interlaced monitor solution, there is no benefit to SLI because the resolution (half of 1680 X 1050) is too low for SLI to pump things up. This is why going into stereo mode doesn't significantly reduce framerates - half the performance for each eye.

If NVIDIA was supporting something that had full resolution to each eye, and I expect they will one day, then SLI would have more importance. Mind you, if you have two underpowered GPUs in SLI, maybe this would make more sense - but if you are upgrading your motherboard, I suspect the GPU isn't far behind.

2. Flexibility

If you want something that can handle an NVIDIA single card solution with a multi-card option further down the road, make sure the motherboard supports AMD's CrossFire and be open to buying AMD GPU's further down the road - at least until NVIDIA officially supports full resolution options.

That's my take, but see what others think.

Regards,
Neil
When I bought the nightmare As** 790i chipset motherboards three months ago I also bought a 9800 GX2 to replace my 8800 GTX (which I still need to sell if anyone’s interested), so the 9800 GX2 has been sat there doing nothing because I haven’t heard from the mobo manufacturer on the BIOS incompatibility with the 9800 GX2.

I have never bought into the SLi GPUs tech even though I have owned two SLi mobo’s for their other features. My older 7950 GX2 previously served me well without the hassles of SLi compatibility in games.

I believe that the x48 its crossfire compatible so that makes sense for future proofness on the AMD/ATI side if I ever feel the need to go SLi.
So as long as the 1=shutter glasses + CRT, 2= iZ3-D and 3=Zalman LCD monitors hardware & drivers don’t need an NVIDIA specific motherboard chipset (6xxi, 7xxi etc), but can use the new Intel x48 chipset then I guess I am good-to-go to buy into the new Intel chipset.

Cheers, Silversurfer
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It looks like ATI is taking this next-generation. Just from what I've heard, they might actually have a competitive card this time (for a lot less $$$ than nvidia). I'm going to stick it out with Nvidia for a little bit longer just to see if they redeem themselves. I've been an Nvidia fanboy for a while now, don't want to pull out just as its getting hot. We'll see what happens. But its nice that we are no longer stuck with nvidia. Now we have a choice. Also, Intel and ATI are teaming up to do something with Havok. So you are also kind of choosing between PhysX and Havok. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia comes out with a CPU at this point. They really should.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”