Smaller Kickstarter projects to fun Oculus Rift support?

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Smaller Kickstarter projects to fun Oculus Rift support?

Post by Lilwolf »

For companies on the fence about supporting Oculus Rift, do you think people would join a kickstarter to fund a specific game, if the driver would be released free after?

Seems like it might be a good way for a company to get the funding to support a product without the worry about if it would pay back.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Smaller Kickstarter projects to fun Oculus Rift support?

Post by zino »

Lilwolf wrote:For companies on the fence about supporting Oculus Rift, do you think people would join a kickstarter to fund a specific game, if the driver would be released free after?

Seems like it might be a good way for a company to get the funding to support a product without the worry about if it would pay back.
Since you ask a general question I'll give a general answer: No.
Marcel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcel »

There are 7000 people who pledged for a dev kit, that severely limits the number of people who would be willing to pledge (unless you have a brilliant idea that every last one of those 7000 people would support).

Besides, supporting the Rift in a game is a tiny amount of work comparing to creating the complete game.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

I think your right about the small amount of work for some games. So the cost should be down.

I thought of it more to find the interest itself. So if a company has a pre-existing, already being sold game. Reopening the code is only worth it if they think they can sell more copies.

Then if there are a few successful kickstarters (even for small dollar amounts, maybe even for just a copy of the game, like 10 bucks for preexisting customers, 60 for non and you get the game). Then the promise if add it to the next patch.

again, small kickstarter for maybe a few thousand to give a company enough to guarantee to pay most of a the employee for a week+ to add the support. They know how many are out there, and know the buzz. So if they get 100 people to support 10 bucks each, they know that out of 6000 total units sold... that would be big.
Marcel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcel »

Ah, in that way. I thought you meant developing a game completely from scratch and using the Rift as selling point.

For self distributed PC games it might work. Which games were you thinking about?

Return to “Oculus VR”