Low cost 3D viewer ?

3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Low cost 3D viewer ?

Post by 3dvison »

I may be getting a Sony Bloggie 3D or a Fuji W3 and was wondering if anyone has used one of the lower cost Vuzix headsets (Wrap310,Wrap 920) to view pictures and video from one of these cameras ? Any good ?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Low cost 3D viewer ?

Post by Fredz »

If you're after a really low cost 3D viewer I guess you already know that both these cameras integrate an autostereoscopic 3D screen ? 3D photo frames are another cheap option with the Aiptek at $120 on Amazon, but I don't know if they're good enough. Not so impressive by looking at the reviews, but most of these people don't seem to know about the limitations of autostereoscopic screens.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I've viewed images on the Vuzix headsets. While the 3D looks decent, the low resolution loses a lot of the detail of the images. For video its less of an issue, but the quality is still lower than what you would get with a 3D monitor (since most of them are 1080P these days). The only use of an HMD, in my opinion, is for VR-style applications where you are using head-tracking and other immersive peripherals. Otherwise there are some portable uses, the Wrap 310 is nice for watching videos on an iPod and things like that. But if you want to view photos at the best quality, then really a good 3D monitor is the sound choice.

Like Fredz mentioned, there are also 3D photo frames, like this ViewSonic one:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-3DPF8-R ... B004ALIYRG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No idea if they are any good, but the cost is low. Also, I don't know if you have a Nintendo 3DS, put its possible to put images on an SD card and view them on that. It looks good, even though the screen is small. Though I guess you could do that already with the Fujifilm camera so thats not too much help.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Yea, I know about the screens on the cameras. I was just looking for a non-autostereoscopic option.
Would the Wrap 920 be realy bad for this use (TOO low rez.) ?
I like the idea of a screen for each eye with an HMD and not using shutter glasses like a 3D 120hz LCD monitor would use.

So I guess I realy want to know if the Wrap 920 would be OK. The Fuji has a nice screen but I can only look at a small autostereoscopic screen for so long...
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks Cyber,

Would you, take this monitor (LINK BELOW) over the Wrap920 or the photo frame you linked to,if you were going for a $300 or lower price range ?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-D2342P-PN-23-I ... 090&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, I have not used that LG monitor. And I know some people had complaints. But for $300 you probably aren't gonna do much better.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey Thanks again cybereality for your help/time.

That LG does seem like a nice choice for the price.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey cybereality,

How much of a jump in image quality do you think the Wrap 1200 would be over the Wrap 920 for viewing pix's and videos from a 3D camera ?

I know these HMD's would not be the best option for this use, but if I could get a Wrap1200 do you think it would be a big step up from the Wrap 920 in image quality for this type of viewing ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I just got a W3 the other day and, to be honest, the images look the best on the camera LCD display. I tried them even with the 3D Vision glasses, and it wasn't as good. I believe this is because the glasses make things dark or something, I don't know. The 3D effect was just not as impressive, maybe I'm just spoiled by the Nintendo 3DS and now the W3.

In terms of HMDs, the Wrap 1200 does not really have much better quality than the 920. What you are getting is basically a widescreen format, with around the same quality. There are pros and cons, like I mentioned the 1200 has better ergonomics, but maybe worse optics. In terms of price-performance, the Wrap 920 is a much better deal. While the 1200 may be better, I don't think I would say it was twice as good (especially when comparing the price).
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Holy cow cybereality, you got a Fuji W3, that is great. Is there anything 3D you don't have...LOL
So the W3 screen is even better than the 1200, did not think that would be the case.

I should have a W3 soon , do you think the W3 screen would work with a big magnifying glass or fresnel lens to make it bigger ? Or will the type of screen on the W3 , not work if magnified ?

Cyber, could you tell me the size of the W3 screen in Hight & Width ?

Think this is what Palmer used in his MERG2.2 ugrade...http://www.all-spec.com/products/a-2024 ... edium=feed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Wonder if that could work with the W3 screen...?
Last edited by 3dvison on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

If you have an iPhone, you could just get that VR iPhone viewer for $20 (think thats the price).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

There are several options for the iPhone :
- 3DeeSlide lenticular lens ($29.99) ;
- GRilli3d parallax barrier ($14.99) ;
- Hasbro My3D stereoscope ($20) ;
- 3Dfier viewer stereoscope with 3x zoom fresnel lenses ($5-$10, not available yet) ;
- TOYin3D stereoscope (18€).

I own the 3DeeSlide, it's nice but not as good as the Nintendo 3DS I've tested recently. I don't know for the other accessories though.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I just tried a fresnel lens on the W3 screen and it doesn't work. Figured it would mess with the parallax.

The screen size is around 3.5 inches, about the same size as the 3DS screen. Probably about the same quality too.

Also, I just tried some pictures on my Zalman passive monitor and they looked pretty good. I think this is one case where the FPR passive displays beat out active. Though I have not seen the 3D Vision 2 yet, the original one is pretty dark and can muddy the experience somewhat. So I would say your best bet is to get a passive 3D monitor if you want to view 3D photos.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hi cybereality,

I got the W3 and it is a very nice screen, it makes me that much more shure I want somthing bigger to view the pictures and video with.

Does the LG-D2342P use the same type of screem tech. as your Zalman ? Think 300.00 will be my price limit so it would be nice if the LG-D2342P would work and look close to a Zalman.

Did your Zalman atleast give a better viewing experience over the W3 just do to the fact it was bigger than the W3 screen ?

Also saw this posted before but no answer, have you noticed a clicking sound with the W3, I think it is a focus noise or somthing ? Does yours have this noise ? Is it normal ?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Best thing is going to the stores and see for yourself. Until just now i personally had a total aversion towards new 3d-tv's because of their image quality. However i could watch an LG 47lv550w in live action and by the look of it the image (2d as well as 3d) it's good enough for me. It uses circular passive glasses and in my opinion the famous "interleaved pattern recognition) is a passe statement. I could see something happening at 1 meter but farther than that the 3d-image looked similar to 2d. A relative of mine bought one immediately and we made some tests with it. The biggest caveats are in my opinion not the quality of the experience, rather the actual support for 3d-media on the tv.
First: It's not listed as compatible units on the nvidia 3dtv-play site and i doubt it could be used as a standard 120Hz device.
Secondly: The tv accepts usbdevices but only if formatted with fat32... It means that only files up to ~4GB can be played without splitting them up. A hardwareupdate to the latest (5... something) did not fix this. :(
There's also a network connection but i couldn't make it work with stored media on the computer. The internet connection to the tv went ok though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@3dvison: The LG-D2342P uses similar tech as the Zalman. Based on reviews I think the Zalman might a little better but who knows. I think a lot of people writing the reviews never saw a 3D screen before, so maybe that had too high expectations (you see the same with reviews of other 3D tech). For the price, the LG is probably good. Certainly if you only have that much to spend I don't know of anything better.

In terms of the clicking sound on the W3: I have not used mine enough to know about that. If the camera works, though, I probably wouldn't worry too much.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

According to the reviews on DigitalVersus the LG D2342 seems to be better than the Zalman ZM-M220W (4 stars vs 3 stars), but I didn't find reviews for other Zalman models.

LG Flatron D2342 : http://us.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor ... /test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zalman ZM-M220W : http://us.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor ... /test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks for all the great replys everyone. Big help.

Hey Cyber, I got the W3 online, so I am with you on the, (If it works don't mess with it). I just hate going through the mail for returns and exchanges.

That said, there was only one other thing I noticed while giving it the once over for defects. There is no dead pixels on the LCD and it looks fine in picture mode. But when I switch to video mode I suddenly get about three small white spots on different parts of the screen that look like stuck white pixels, but like I said, it only happens in video mode not in picture mode. Seems like it is the camera sensor producing it, but only in video mode ?
Ever seen somthing like this on a camera before ? I Just don't know if I should switch the camera for another one. Everything else seems fine.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”