[REQ] stereo recording- dual webcams

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

[REQ] stereo recording- dual webcams

Post by yuriythebest »

did anyone use 2 webcams for stereo video capture? if so how is the syncing? and how is the overall experience? what is the best program? I'm planning to use "stereoscopic player". Also any good webcams out there for win xp 64 bit?
Last edited by yuriythebest on Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

never tried! actually i never installed 2 webcams on a single pc.. :D

by the waycould you please add the [REQ] tag to your topic title`? thnx
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

sure, I added REQ but I'm not reqesting anyone to make em, just asking if it's feasible?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Tesseract
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [REQ] stereo recording- dual webcams

Post by Tesseract »

Yeah, I have done it many times with various models. it does work and will take nice looking stereo pictures and looks decent if recording in a low resolution, like 320x, etc,. unfortunately, if a higher resolution is used, it causes annoying lags and starts to look like a "compressed jpeg" the issue has something to do with way USB sends the data (protocol compress the date or something like that) It degrades the video quality, something that 'firewire' somehow doesn't do, which is why it is used in a lot of various video stuff. the best I ever got it to look was when I was using two Logitek's, don't remember the exact models (Pro 9000 I think maybe?) they were very good quality though, CCD 1.3 mp, 30fps x 640x480 (extra options to add even higher res~ using s/w interpolation, which I never did.) Even when using two separate USB channels though, there was always a subtle 'lag' that made it seem more like about 27fps or less, and movement just looked bad overall. which always seemed to be a issue with all the webcams I tried. My Samsung S730 digital camera videos look MUCH better and it has the exact same video specs (except that it shoots 7.3 mp still images).

I gave up on trying webcam's myself, but hey there are always newer and "better" models coming out so maybe they will work better down the road.

I

Return to “Do it Yourself!”