Dell Precision Mobile M6600

Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Dell Precision Mobile M6600

Post by Chiefwinston »

My place of work has bought me a new laptop. It’s a Dell Precision Mobile M6600 with an i7 (quad core), 8gb ram, 750mb hd, and a fancy Nvidia 3000M workstation graphics card. It says on the web site that it supports Nvidia 3D Vision Pro. I don’t have the laptop yet, Dell says it will be delivered on 9/23/11 or sooner. Do any of you have any experience with this card. 3D gaming is not the primary business purpose of this laptop. But I’m going to try and connect to my Panasonic Plasma 3D HDTV. If it will 3D game, yippee.

And from the Nvidia web site:
“Applications supporting quad buffered Open GL stereo or Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D driver”.

I think I’m kinda close to making this work. The Panasonic display might be the weak link that brings down the cards.

Thanks in advance.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Dell Precision Mobile M6600

Post by cybereality »

I'm not sure if that will work. You can't use the standard 3D Vision software, you need the Nvidia 3DTV Play software. And it doesn't look like it works on Quadros. But I guess it can't hurt to try.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yeah I was kinda thinking that too. I could always switch the display to a 3D projector or a 3D Monitor. I'm not real certian just yet what types of limitations I'll run into. If I can 3D game on this, its just an added bonus. The company I work for suggested this one for the engineering software. I couldn't very well say how about that b!tch!n alien ware gaming laptop. I know we all can build rockin desktops for this much money ($2500). When asked I said yeah sure that will work for my work needs. Hard to refuse a gift horse-if you know what I mean.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, that is a great laptop. I am just not sure it is optimized for gaming. But hopefully it will work.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

The laptop has arrived. For some reason it came with a different graphics card than I specified. It has a AMD Firepro M8900. I've read it is compatable with the AMD HD3D tech. The laptop appears to have multiple output options including HDMI and Displayport. So I'm kinda thinking this may be a better option than the Nvidia profesional card- in regards to being able to 3D game with it. I won't have a chance to 3D game on it for a little while. But I'm looking forward to Metro 2033 and Portal 2. If it works.

cheers
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool. I guess just try the DDD drivers. IZ3D should also work, though I had some issues with it on AMD.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Update:

I had time to mess around with this laptop. I do have the DDD software working with the M8900 graphics card. I believe it is supposed to perform like the HD6970 card. I will say the initial set-up process really sucked. The DDD software will crash the laptop hard if the settings aren't just right. But after 3 hours of trying- and reading one of Neils posts. I got it up and running. The set-up was not intuitive at all. I bet alot of people would give up and say it doesn't work. But on too the games........

Peace

Cyber, is it still possible to get the IZ3D software. And is it worth messing with?
Last edited by Chiefwinston on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

IZ3D is no longer selling licenses. RIP.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”