YouTube *DROPS* support for full-res YT3D content

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

YouTube *DROPS* support for full-res YT3D content

Post by cybereality »

Seems like YouTube has decided to change the YT3D tags and options. They have now standardized on side-by-side LR frame-compatible (squished) format. This would be the same as broadcast, and thus stick with a standard format. It will also mean most modern 3D HDTVs will be able to play embedded YouTube videos. However, this means that all of the videos that were uploaded at full resolution are no longer supported and look messed up. This is because they straight-up DROPPED support for ALL the old YT3D tags (although the videos will still display as 3D, but they might not look right). You can see the new tags and the new rules here:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... wer=157640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is most problematic for full-res SBS 720P or 1080P content. For example, look at one of my recent videos which was uploaded as 2560 x 720:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuoGMBv7pl0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not looking so good. Fortunately most of my old videos were in the frame-compatible format, so they still look alright. But this a huge blunder on their part. There are a lot of YT3D videos from the past 2 years, who knows what different options or aspect-ratios people were using. And this basically KILLS all that content (including some of my own). I could, of course, re-upload the videos but that sucks. What about all the thousands of views I have, and the comments. I'm just going to lose that. Some people's videos have tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands views. Are they just expected to throw that away? I don't understand why they couldn't have left in some legacy support (like if the video was uploaded before the cut-off date it would still work). Why do this to people? Should we petition or something? How do we fix this?
ComPH
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: YouTube *DROPS* support for full-res YT3D content

Post by ComPH »

I don't think that those new tags work well. At least not for me. I always need to use the yt3d:enable=true. The yt3d:enable-LR doesn't work without it. I found out that on my files, setting the yt3d:aspect=32:18 foxes things, but I normally do not use 720p, I use 1080p. Ihope htis helps.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I really think youtube had nothing to do with 720p to start with.

Ever compared a 16.000 kbps container with that sh*t ? I did, the Duke Nukem Forever launch trailer. YT was just way messed up, it actually hurt the aliasing a lot.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

And you expect a streaming site that has to deliver it's picture in real time to match a 3x higher bitrate downloaded file ? Seriously... we don't all have fibre connections, Youtube can't provide 10Mbps streaming or too many people would not understand why they have to wait so long to watch their videos.

Anyways, all my videos seem to be working again with the old tags.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The new tag is:
yt3d:enable=LR

And it does work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQC0pjZONs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@tritosine: What are you talking about? People have uploaded 4K 3D videos on YouTube and it works fine (you just need to let it buffer, obviously).
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Duh, still this "An error occurred, please try again later" when putting the mouse over the 3D button, I guess the problem must be with Google Chrome or my version of the Flash plugin then. I'm at version 10.2.154.12 here, what are yours ?
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

yes, I can play a Youtube 3D video (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpU0MQldTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in 3D with Nvidia's 3D glasses (they turn on). Much like 3DVision Live (http://www.3dvisionlive.com/3d_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There is an option for checkerboard on Youtube which my TV uses. What a progress! Congrats Youtube!
(Google Earth also is in 3D)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

luckily the old uploaded videos seem to work fine now- used to be they were squished. good that they fixed that.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
DavidCano.es
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidCano.es »

Sorry, but now ALL yt3d videos shows as anaglyph :woot :cry: :cry:
This is a mess, nvidia 3d vision is not working anymore to see YouTube. Nor even from external 3d pages using youtube embedded.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, it's completely broken now but I'm not going to hold my breath for them to fix it at this point.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

What happens when you download a movie? Is it a 3d-format or formatted to anaglyph there as well?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, you can use a "YouTube Downloader" and get the file in the original format (usually SBS).
DavidCano.es
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidCano.es »

If you use a 3D device (like a 3D smartphone, or PowerDVD 14. And 3D Smart TVs I hope) you can see with real 3D, not anaglyph. I think gOogle wants to make it simple:
3D device: native 3D video
computer: anaglyph video.

I think the best solution here is to make a petition to NVIDIA to make a 3D Youtube Player (like nvidia 3d vision video player and nvidia 3d vision photo viewer). Someone with better english than me take the lead?
DavidCano.es
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidCano.es »

I found a dumb method for uploading 3D videos: upload as 2D side by side. So 3D Smart TVs are capable to play it in 3d (not anaglyph)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

DavidCano.es wrote:I found a dumb method for uploading 3D videos: upload as 2D side by side. So 3D Smart TVs are capable to play it in 3d (not anaglyph)
True, that would work.
PPorquer3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PPorquer3D »

I know is an old thread, but i find that 3d content could be "revived" on youtube a bit.

I don't have the resources to experiment, but i think the other option 3d youtube content creators have is the vr mode - but how would you force youtube to display old 3d videos in vr mode?

(note) i have an app on a cell phone that can take 3d videos & play them back in vr mode - it is a technique some people use to watch bluray rips using their google cardboards & high resolution cell phones...
so youtube could do the same in theory IF you can force the player or find a way to convert your 3d uploads to vr mode -

as a 3d up-loader this means at least you get a 3d audience with google cardboard/vr cell phone users

as an expectator, yes , download the videos and view them...
additionally, there is an old go-pro software that allows you to play back sbs/ over under 3d vr videos that you download from youtube on your pc - you use the mouse to turn your head
3DJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJ »

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”