spdif surround sound

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

spdif surround sound

Post by wuhlei »

hey I just got this surround sound head set with a 5.1 digital decoder laser/coax sounds great with dvd players, xbox and ps3 but I dont know how get my pc to play surround sound any ideas?
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I second that. Have the same problem. Here are some symtoms:
I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe and is using the inbuilt soundcard.
If i switch to Dolby digital 5.1 in the HD-audio manager i get sound via the spdif output (using the RCA). At the same time the sound from the analogue outputs disappears but thats normal and also explained.
However: I'm not getting any surround sound when playing games or watching movies. I do get surround when i try the built in test in the hd-manager (buzzing bee and loopmusic).

cheers
Last edited by Likay on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

I think that the SPDIF on PC's is used to output a Dolby stream, like 5.1

In order for that to work you need to be running a card that can generate a dolby stream (this is a different thing than passing on the dolby stream from a DVD movie for instance).

I think you might be able to make use of ac3filter (ac3 is code for dolby digital) http://ac3filter.net/ this will multiplex a source into surround sound. I don't think it will help you game in surround over spdif though (it has been some time since I had a DD5.1 decoder, so I don't remember the specifics).

I think it is a pretty dumb setup myself, but there should be an option somewhere in your soundcard panel to output standard sound over the Spdif (I am most familiar with Realtek codecs, as they seem to be on just about every system I build, I always use the latest drivers from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/)
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

You can get soundcards that makes realtime Dolby Digital sound from stereo sound so that You can plug a cable from the soundcard to Your surround amplifier. Thats how it works isn't it (not sure)?
However for gaming I think the X-Fi is best if Your use headphones as it has good sound positioning in games and EAX 5.0. There are some new cards that might be better.
Sound cards from Auzentech can this realtime stereo to Dolby Digital conversion. Good sound too and Dolby Digital beats everything :D
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Freke1 wrote:You can get soundcards that makes realtime Dolby Digital sound from stereo sound so that You can plug a cable from the soundcard to Your surround amplifier. Thats how it works isn't it (not sure)?
However for gaming I think the X-Fi is best if Your use headphones as it has good sound positioning in games and EAX 5.0. There are some new cards that might be better.
Sound cards from Auzentech can this realtime stereo to Dolby Digital conversion. Good sound too and Dolby Digital beats everything :D
Well, if you want to get technical those cards are using software to push the sound out over the SPDIF, as we learned from this creative driver debacle (some guy fixed the Vista drivers, but also was able to open up all features on all older cards, because it was all software based and the new cards were the same.)

So basically it is a function of the drivers for the card, and if you want that support be prepared to pay for it.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0

Return to “General Discussion”