Survey Says: We All Hate 3DTV!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Survey Says: We All Hate 3DTV!

Post by Silversurfer »

After polling the U.S. a few months ago, Nielsen conducted a worldwide poll to gauge interest in 3DTV displays. SPOILER ALERT: less than 10 percent of those asked said they'll buy a 3D television in the next year.

Another 15 percent polled said they might buy a 3DTV, but that's not so promising when over 60 percent said they they definitely won't buy a 3DTV. And when only narrowed down to North America, just 3 percent of North Americans say they plan to buy a 3D set in the next year. As far as 3D in the home goes, GigaOm is all doom and gloom, declaring 3DTV to be dead on arrival, and it's tough to disagree. I sure as hell don't want to deal with the glasses, especially when more than one person is in the room. Someday, when glasses-less displays arrive, maybe we can try this grand 3D experiment again, yeah? [Nielsen via GigaOm]

http://gizmodo.com/5715891/survey-says- ... Gizmodo%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Survey Says: We All Hate 3DTV!

Post by android78 »

I wonder if the same survey also asked how many people were planning to buy a new TV next year.
For example, if only 10% of consumers surveyed said they would buy a new TV next year, and 3% of people said that they would opt for 3D, that means that 30% of sales would be 3D.
Whoever conducted the survey sure has $#!T for brains!
In the current economic climate, I wouldn't be surprised if less then 10% of consumers were planning on buying a new TV next year.

P.S. did we all read the comment by jnemesh? lol
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Add to that a relatively recent introduction of hdtv's and then it's quite obvious that many people are reluctant to upgrade once again....
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

** throws 3d display out of window**
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

yuriythebest wrote:** throws 3d display out of window**
:lol: - Is that because you hate 3D so much, or have you just upgraded to a new 3D display for the 10th time this year though?
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Let' s just sum it up
too small & too pricey & ghosts too.

oh & its dark

-maybe the consumer is right. :lol:

Are DLP RPTV's considered 3DTV at all in US? Or just some legacy leftover ?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't know, I think you can spin it either way. For example, look at the original graph:

Lets just work with the global average here as not to complicate matters. So we have 33% that said they flat-out won't buy into 3D. OK. And another 19% that probably won't. So that is 52% that are not particularly interested in 3D. But if we look at the other side, we have 4% of people that already own 3D TVs, 9% that are definitely purchasing, and 15% that will probably buy one. That's 28% interested in 3D. 21% of people were undecided. I don't think those are horrible numbers if you think about it. That means over 1 out of 4 people will likely buy a 3D TV in 2011. If we extrapolate this survey to the world population that would include 1,929,060,000 (almost 2 billion) people that are somewhat interested in buying a 3D display in 2011. That is a whole lot of people. Hardly the "death knell" for 3D these blogs make it out to be.

I am not under any delusions. 3D is still very much a niche market. It is gaining a lot of popularity and press, but its still niche. I don't expect it to go mainstream over-night. These things take time. I think having 28% of the people surveyed interested in 3D is huge progress. A couple of years ago I would be surprised if even 10% of people KNEW 3D EXISTED!!! Forget about being ready to drop $2,000 dollars on a 3D display. We are making major progress here. Not sure what all these so-called "tech-blogs" have against the technology. Unless there is some secret organization pulling all the strings, hell-bent on seeing 3D fail. I think they are called the illumina-2D...
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zerofool »

cybereality wrote:That's 28% interested in 3D. 21% of people were undecided. I don't think those are horrible numbers if you think about it. That means over 1 out of 4 people will likely buy a 3D TV in 2011. If we extrapolate this survey to the world population that would include 1,929,060,000 (almost 2 billion) people that are somewhat interested in buying a 3D display in 2011. That is a whole lot of people.
I admire your optimism, but let's get realistic here. Unfortunately we don't live in an utopic world where 100% of the population on earth is civilized, educated, live in normal environment and conditions. Very far from it. Just think about the poverty in Africa, all the brainwashed taliban folks and the rest of the uneducated eastern world (no offence to anyone), think about all these images in your head of Chinese people raising rice, the African buses and trains, crowded with people (even on their rooftops) and so on.
Now take a look here, here or here and consider just 10% (pretty optimistic btw) of China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and so on as.. capable buyers (the rest of them have more important things to spare they money for than TVs, like food and other things important for basic survival :)) and now do the math again ;). That's the sad truth. The majority of people on earth are not (lucky) like us, they probably don't even know what satellite television, or High Definition or computer is.. or they have only heard of it ;). So I suppose just 1/4-1/3 of the number you suggested (about 500-650 mill) sounds realistic at best.
nV 3DTV Play, Geo-11, Tridef on 2014 55" Samsung H7000 (aka H7150) @ 1080p60 Checkerboard-3D | Valve Index | RTX 2080Ti, i7-6700K, 32GB 3200CL14, 1+2TB SSDs | Win10 v2004 | DAN A4-SFX | G27
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ok, you got me. I did do the math, but figured I might as well go for some pro-3D sensationalism. The fact of the matter is that 28% of respondents indicated that they had a strong interest in buying a 3DTV in 2011. To put this number into perspective, in 2007 the US HDTV adoption rate had just reached 25% ( http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2008/0 ... lidays.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I don't think anyone would have argued 3 years ago that since "only" 25% of people owned an HDTV that the format was destined to fail. It would have been ridiculous. So if those 28% of people in this Nielsen survey actually do buy a 3DTV in 2011 (or already own one), then that would be more people than had HDTV in 2007. What does that say?
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Ok, you got me. I did do the math, but figured I might as well go for some pro-3D sensationalism.
Good to counter the sensational headline of the article. I still go with my original statement. and are more then 24% of people worldwide looking at buying a tv next year?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Die ! 3D please die ! these stupid blogs must say.

I wonder what would happen if you were to compare the adoption of 3D with the adoption of home-cinema surround sound systems... you know the thing where you have to put speakers behind the couch and have wires everywhere.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

BlackShark wrote:Die ! 3D please die ! these stupid blogs must say.

I wonder what would happen if you were to compare the adoption of 3D with the adoption of home-cinema surround sound systems... you know the thing where you have to put speakers behind the couch and have wires everywhere.
Surround sound does not have the "nerdstamp" all over. Even though it's ridiculous getting 5+1 "shoebox speakers" when a two speaker config sounds soo much better for the same money. But then i'm almost deaf and not really authorized to make such judgements...
I wonder why 3d still has such a negative nerdstamp... :?
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Likay wrote:Surround sound does not have the "nerdstamp" all over. Even though it's ridiculous getting 5+1 "shoebox speakers" when a two speaker config sounds soo much better for the same money.
I love my surround setup. I think it depends on how much you are willing to spend though. The cheap setups where each tiny speaker plugs directly into a DVD or Blu-ray player sound no better (and often worse) then the speakers in TVs. If you have a dedicated amp and proper speakers, then you can get really good sound... the only problem is that you're paying 5-10 times as much.
Likay wrote:I wonder why 3d still has such a negative nerdstamp... :?
Probably because the initial solutions were plagued with issues, difficult to setup and not very good. This perception I think is slowly changing though. We'll win in the end. ;-)

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”