Windows 8 with a 3D interface?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Windows 8 with a 3D interface?

Post by gisabun »

"Microsoft isn't talking, but an Italian tech enthusiasts site claims to have the skinny on more rumored new or upgraded features coming in Windows 8.

On the list is a 3D user interface, codenamed Wind and designed for higher-end systems initially, that will automatically adapt to the user's actions.

The latest revelations came when the site, titled windows8Italia, posted information that it described as "leaks" regarding Microsoft's next version of Windows Wednesday."

Source and more of the article: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev ... 4-bits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Re: Windows 8 with a 3D interface?

Post by cybereality »

3D interface for Windows 8? Are they really going to do it? I hope so.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

If There's just a tiny bit of truth in the rumor, then nothing would be better! The step of making directx even more s-3d friendly shouldn't be too far away as well!
Nice find even if only a rumor.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

I have to admit a combination of intrigue and concern about this.
The only way I see a 3D interface working effectively is with an appropriate controller. I was quite excited about the Kinect as a possible controller, however after buying and using it on the xbox for many hours, I don't see this as effective at the current resolution and accuracy.
From the reports I've read, the PS3 move is much more accurate, so maybe that is a step in the right direction, although I would rather just a kinect that worked better.
For now, I'll remain cautiously optimistic that a controller free solution that works better can be integrated with a 3D OS... At least they are looking into it.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Most likely MS is just doing some R&D and this won't actually make it into a shipping version of Windows. However is MS is indeed looking into this stuff it may bode well into general stereo 3d support on their platform, like if they added quad-buffer to DirectX or something along those lines.
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

Hmm...reminds me of the GUI (graphical user interface) in Jurrasic Park. Anybody remember that? The question is, how can one adapt 3D into an interface that is 2D AND make it more efficient?

I keep thinking of the concept and my first impulse is resort to the Ironman (movies) depiction of interacting with an operating system.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”