Vireio Perception 1.0 Released!

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vireio Perception 1.0 Released!

Post by cybereality »

OK, thanks.

I just remembered that 1.0.1 was the version with the debug build. Maybe on the release build there is something different that is causing it to crash (for example an uninitialized variable with junk data).
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

I wonder if the double injection error (or the game rendering as black but the HUD still showing up) could be an uninitialized variable or something similar, too. I never saw that, at least on my machine, with the Debug 1.0.1, but I get it pretty often with the release builds.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I was seeing the black screen with recursive HUD on Dear Esther (on my desktop, laptop is fine). Also on UT3 I get a black screen with only the HUD (on my laptop, not the desktop). The strange part is that I've been developing this for months and I never saw this issue. But I was always building for debug and only switched to release just before the launch of 1.0. So unless something else happened, its probably related to building for release.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Baristan6 wrote:Once 1.0.1 randomly started working in Skyrim it always works. 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 both crash Skyrim as soon an TESV.exe starts. In 1.0.3 Perception.exe no longer crashes while being run without admin, but hijackdll still does not work unless launched as admin.
Is this thread still the best place to post feedback?
I just fixed a bug that made Skyrim crash on startup. I made another pull request.
Or you can pull manually from here: https://github.com/CarlKenner/Perception.git
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome, 2EyeGuy. You're killing it.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

cybereality wrote:Awesome, 2EyeGuy. You're killing it.
Thanks. (I assume killing it is a good thing ;) )

I have a good feeling about this version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Perception_1.0.4.zip

For me Portal 1 (First Slice), Portal 2, Skyrim, and Mirror's Edge just work with this version. And when I say "work", I mean not running anything as administrator, not copying the DLL anywhere, and just launching the games the normal way from the icon on my desktop, not running any special exe file.

I don't have the other games for testing yet (I just got Skyrim and Mirror's Edge this morning).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That version seems to work fine with Left4Dead and Dear Esther, but now on Half-Life 2 it has the recursive HUD/black screen bug. Strange because HL2 always seemed to have good support, and is using the same profile as L4D and Dear Esther. I also have a black screen bug on UT3, but thats always been the case on this laptop.

I guess I will post this new version anyway, since it seems to have fixed more than it broke. But we will have to take a look at whats happening with Half-Life 2 and the recursive HUD bug in general.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

2EyeGuy you are fast. I haven't coded in C for a long time and by the time I start tracing the error you've already fixed it. Works great now in Skyrim. Where was the bug?

Was it the uninitialized var pFile?
Last edited by Baristan6 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nevermind. HL2 has been broken since 1.0 on this machine.

Interestingly enough it worked on the 1.0.1 (debug) build. So the recursive HUD bug is at least partially caused by the release build.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

cyberreality, are you still always running the apps as Administrator?

I've been doing that by default, but I did more experimenting without it since 2EyeGuy said it isn't needed anymore.

With the newest Release binaries he packaged (or a Release build I make with the latest changes):
- When running Perception.exe and left4dead2.exe normally (non admin): Everything just seems to work, as 2EyeGuy said.
- Running Perception.exe as Administrator, left4dead2.exe normally: Works (Stereo/3D, at the main menu + in game)
- Running Perception.exe normally, left4dead2.exe as Administrator: Doesn't work (no injection / stays 2D)
- Running Perception.exe and left4dead2.exe both as Administrator: Injection occurs (stereo / 3D view at the main menu, and loading screen). Screen goes black right as the action starts, and you end up with the HUD bug.

So launching both apps without doing "run as Administrator" fixes the HUD bug for me, even in Release mode.

Edit: When running as non-admin, I can put everything in Program Files (x86)\Vireio\Perception and launch from there, but it also works just launching the EXE from my downloads folder / desktop / whatever.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Baristan6 wrote:2EyeGuy you are fast. I haven't coded in C for a long time and by the time I start tracing the error you've already fixed it. Works great now in Skyrim. Where was the bug?

I don't think it starting out uninitialized was the problem, I just initialised it to be careful. The problem was it failed to open the file, and then it got set to NULL and then trying to write to the file crashed.

And I found that bug because when it crashed, Windows asked me if I wanted to debug, and I thought "I guess I'd better debug it", and the debugger cleverly opened up to my source code and showed me where the error was. :D Thank you Visual Studio.

BTW, I wasn't doing so at the time, but you can actually add the game exe to your Vireio Perception solution, put breakpoints in your proxy code, choose Start without Debugging from the Debug menu, then right-click the game exe in your solution and choose Debug>Start New Instance. That way you can debug it while it's injected into the game.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Baristan6 wrote:2EyeGuy you are fast. I haven't coded in C for a long time and by the time I start tracing the error you've already fixed it. Works great now in Skyrim. Where was the bug?

What Kind of Rift setup do you have?
Does Skyrim look good or great?
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
oculusfan
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by oculusfan »

Tested Portal and Portal 2 on my machine (I don't have a DIY Rift, just plain monitor). GTX 570, AMD Phenom II 3.2 Ghz Quad. Windows 8 64 bit.

No trouble opening the app (didn't have to run as administrator).

Both games I tested had the distortion and split view working well in Oculus Rift mode at 1280x800. Frame rate was a non-issue. I didn't test any other modes.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

squibbfire wrote:

What Kind of Rift setup do you have?
You were probably asking Baristan6, but if you were asking me, I don't have a Rift. When I test it, I just test it in other modes to see if the 3D is working, and test that in Oculus Rift mode the warping and split screen look right. Or if I adjust the convergence enough, I can use parallel free-viewing on a small part in the middle in side-by-side mode.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

squibbfire wrote: What Kind of Rift setup do you have?
I have an imaginary rift. I shrink down the window to 7in, use a divider and sit real close to the screen without my glasses. It works for me because of my poor eye sight, but still only have a 45 deg FOV. I also stream to a nexus 7 using trackIR(mouse emulation only atm), but even sitting 3 feet from my router the lag is too much.
In short don't have one. Plan on making a Fresnel lens for my nexus 7, getting a beter router, and proper head tracking to work with trackIR and cybereality's driver in my spare time.

Hopefully someone with a DIY Rift will give us a review soon.
simonski
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by simonski »

Any way of getting this to work with an enb mod, using the proxylib command? I've had a go, but without any luck,

Great bit of software btw.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Time to test the Vireio driver with Crysis 3 it seems :
http://www.crysis.com/us/crysis-3/beta
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Fredz wrote:Time to test the Vireio driver with Crysis 3 it seems :
http://www.crysis.com/us/crysis-3/beta
No, it looks like DirectX 11 only. Sorry.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Baristan6 wrote:
squibbfire wrote: What Kind of Rift setup do you have?
I have an imaginary rift. I shrink down the window to 7in, use a divider and sit real close to the screen without my glasses. It works for me because of my poor eye sight, but still only have a 45 deg FOV. I also stream to a nexus 7 using trackIR(mouse emulation only atm), but even sitting 3 feet from my router the lag is too much.
In short don't have one. Plan on making a Fresnel lens for my nexus 7, getting a beter router, and proper head tracking to work with trackIR and cybereality's driver in my spare time.

Hopefully someone with a DIY Rift will give us a review soon.
Hey mate

Have built a rift using my nexus 7. Two cheap magnifying glasses. And a home made box.

Splashtop to stream and Freepie for mouse tracking.

At the moment have run into an ENB and Verio driver conflict which washes out the screen with Skyrim (ENB also makes use of the dx9 dll) so intend to a clean reinstall of Skyrim over the next couple of days.

Will post the Freepie script in the Freepie section and build details later.

Looks very promising though as a cheap non DIY panel fix.

KUDOS to the Freepie team and the Verio team

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

I had a quick question cyber, or for anyone who may know. So I tested Skyrim with perception and even on low I'm getting a min of around 55 fps. I wanted to try and use one of the d3d9.dll performance boosters that are floating around for Skyrim, but when I try and launch with the file in the game folder it deactivates perception. Is there any workaround to this so I can use both, or will one invariably cancel out the other?

Edit: Oh and while I'm thinking about it, would it also be possible to use Razer's game booster program with perception? It helps performance by disabling background processes when a game is launched and then restores them upon exit. I'd love to be able to use this in conjunction with perception. Thanks!
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Mentioned on PC Gamer:
pcgamer.com wrote:This video was made using my modified HMZ-T1 but others have played it on DIY rifts with the Vireio stereo/warp drivers.
Talking about HL2 on the Rift. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/04/half- ... t-support/
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

Diorama wrote:Mentioned on PC Gamer:
pcgamer.com wrote:This video was made using my modified HMZ-T1 but others have played it on DIY rifts with the Vireio stereo/warp drivers.
Talking about HL2 on the Rift. http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/04/half- ... t-support/
that vid got over 200k vieuws 0.0 sweet
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Would the Vireio driver work in Cross Eye mode. you know.
For someone with no DIY Rift, no 3D screen, but who wants to check it out? :?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Diorama wrote:Would the Vireio driver work in Cross Eye mode. you know.
For someone with no DIY Rift, no 3D screen, but who wants to check it out? :?
Yes, in theory (but I've only tried parallel). You need to use side by side mode, then F6 to swap eyes, then use F4 and F5 to adjust the convergence and F2 and F3 to adjust the separation. If you have a big screen then you won't be able to see the whole image in 3D, just the middle part. It might work better if you can run the game in windowed mode, but I haven't tried.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@ Diorama: You can run the drivers in anaglyph mode and use cheap glasses on a 2d monitor. I didn't make a freeview mode, but I guess it could be added.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Well cyber I got the driver to do the split screen with HL2! Awesome Job! I'll have to try it with Skyrim soon!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Frizbehitman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frizbehitman »

Hello. All is good. Cyber you are the man!

One question for anyone who can answer:

After i got skyrim to work (by copying the dll files into the install dir), when i remove them again, to play as normal coz im waiting for the rift to turn up, skyrim will not load. It says something like 'can not load as libfreespace.dll is missing'. Please tell me i did not just copy over an important file without backing it up? Im not sure i can handle installing all the mods again.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: DONT WORRY. SORTED IT. I opened Perception selected Disabled from the drop down. Phew!
Frizbehitman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frizbehitman »

However, Any help getting Dirt 2 to work would be appreciated? I've tried starting both programs as administrator and installed the dll files into the install dir. nothing works. clues?
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Hi

I have an XP based machine with a AMD HD6XXX card and the latest drivers.

Without the driver working Skyrim runs fab.

With the vireio driver 1.04 I get a whiteout screen with the game running.

Any pointers?

Cheers
UB

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I don't have access to my main machine right now so its hard to test.

I would try the 1.0.1 version as it seemed to work better on some games.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Will do Cyber and will report back.

Anything you want tested on an AMD based XP machine?

Or even the same machine with Windows 7?

Also have a laptop - windows 8 with nvidia mobility dedicated graphics.

Currently have Dead Island, Dishonoured, Skyrim knocking about with access o about 20 other games...fallout3, bioshock etc

Have a home made rift using freepie, nexus 7 and splashtop

Let me know mate.

Thanks for all the hard work it is well appriciated.

UB
UB

Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

... After lots of bashing my head against the wall I finally have FreePIE working with Vireio. I created a new tracker for Vireio that starts a server on a socket, and a plugin for FreePie that connects to the socket. Have been testing with a TrackIR and Skyrim. Roll works good in Oculus and side-by-side modes, but is distorted in anaglyph mode. Will post my code next week after fixing a few connection errors. One uppercase char instead of a lowercase one took 2 hours to debug. At least I've graduated from hunting for missing semicolons.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

This is going to get very difficult to find answers if everyone posts in one thread. Might I suggest we start game specific threads instead?
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Baristan6 wrote:... After lots of bashing my head against the wall I finally have FreePIE working with Vireio. I created a new tracker for Vireio that starts a server on a socket, and a plugin for FreePie that connects to the socket. Have been testing with a TrackIR and Skyrim. Roll works good in Oculus and side-by-side modes, but is distorted in anaglyph mode. Will post my code next week after fixing a few connection errors. One uppercase char instead of a lowercase one took 2 hours to debug. At least I've graduated from hunting for missing semicolons.
Cool, I'd like to see that code. I have a Razer Hydra coming tomorrow so I was going to try something similar (integrating Vireio + FreePIE).
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Delryn wrote:This is going to get very difficult to find answers if everyone posts in one thread. Might I suggest we start game specific threads instead?
This is an excellent Idea...I was wondering how we could organize this thread better to make things more productive. But alas until more people get their dev kits there wont be a lot of posts.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

cybereality wrote:Well I don't have access to my main machine right now so its hard to test.

Hi cuyber thanks for the pointer to 1.01

AMD HD6XXX XP fresj skyrim install which works without driver activated.

1.01 Crash to desktop as soon as game loads
1.02 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.03 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.04 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.

Will move the dx9 dll to the skyrim folder and see what happens

UB
UB

s0uL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by s0uL »

Hey guys, quick question regarding Vireio + HL2:

I've been able to get Skyrim, HL2, and Dear Esther working with Vireio 1.0. Now I don't have a rift or a DIY version or anything like that yet, I've just been super excited and wanted to make sure I could run these games with Vireio for when I get my devkit.

So in the README for HL2 it says to set fov to 110, but HL2 seems to cap it at 90. Dear Esther let me change it no problem with the developer console enabled, but Half Life 2 won't budge. Is there a patch or mod or something that lets you uncap the fov?

Anyways, thanks a ton Cyber, I seriously CANNOT wait to try these out with a rift come April!

EDIT: Nevermind guys I learned that you simply can't change the fov in HL2 until you get your Hazard Suit at the lab. Really weird but I got it working.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Unclebob wrote:
cybereality wrote:Well I don't have access to my main machine right now so its hard to test.

Hi cuyber thanks for the pointer to 1.01

AMD HD6XXX XP fresj skyrim install which works without driver activated.

1.01 Crash to desktop as soon as game loads
1.02 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.03 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.
1.04 Game starts Beths logo on green background. No random statue as game loads. Game loads but screen whited out.

Will move the dx9 dll to the skyrim folder and see what happens

UB
Ok moved files to the skyrim exe folder and still the same result.

Green background on the Beth logo. Grey and white blocks before the menu. Then a whited out screen when the game loads.

Set up is XP SP3 HD6800 Catalyst 13.1 Latest patched edition of Skyrim.

Suggestions??

UB
UB

Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Ok sorted it had a rogue ENB activator program in the background. Once activated all worked OK.

Thanks to alls that helped.

UB
UB

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ok, great. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”