New to 3d - Alienware? Acer? Samsung?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: New to 3d - Alienware? Acer? Samsung?

Post by yig »

Ok this is AMAZING. I AM STUNNED.

I watched the Zalman movie, with the german parade and train, and fireworks, it was freaking amazing. Like I was standing there. Perfectly clear 3d, just like I wantwed from the Avatar experience. This is what I was asking about.

But then, I tried out Warcraft again with the new settings. I AM AMAZED. My JAW is dropped. THis is like seing video games all over again for the first time.

Everything is so solid, it looks like it is actually real. Like clay or paper models. Like l am in a dream or imagination land. THIS IS AMAZING.

I have no idea what I have done with the settings, so I am terrified of editing things and losing this perfect 3d, yeah the half resolution looked like crap, but when the 3d kicks in it almost filled in the missing pixels and makes it seem high res again. I DONT GET IT BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yig »

That turkey fish, in the video, was so real I almost messed my pants!
I love this technology, can only dream of it in high res now.

The magic spot is a bit annoying as my neck starts to feel stiff over a few minutes, but I am fast learning to cope.

THe only thing I am bothered my, is I seem to quickly get used to my 3d settings, and the depth doesn't seem as, in depth. So I have to increase settings, hard to keep bearings, i am writing down all my settings though and experimenting, cannot wait to develop my 3d muscles more.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah that fish in the Zalman demo video is something else. The first time I saw that when I got my Zalman I was blown away. It looked like a hologram coming out of the screen! Have fun man!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I'm glad to hear you are having fun. :) Yes, solid 3D is the best description of what Zalman is able to do. I'm myself in love with it, really.

You need vista or win7 to use the nvidia stereo driver. I'm switching to win7 and everything is going sweet.

It takes time to learn to set the right stereo separation and convergence for you in each game. Keep in mind that if a particular game is not as spectacular in 3D as others is not a problem with that game, but with the separation/convergence settings of its profile.

And be careful with reversed L/R. Your firsts comments about the iz3d tests sounded like that.

Another great demo is Geoforms. It's an nvidia demo/screensaver.
And the 3dmark05 or 3dmark06 demos, amazing.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yig »

Lately I have been trying to push the limits of my eyes, I will set the separation and convergence to as far as possible before the image is just unable to be focused on, then tick it back to just where I can force it to focus and be stable. After a while, I get used to it and am able to set it farther.

The only thing I hate is how fast I get used to the 3d, I have to check if the 3d is on or not and toggle it.

I need to reset the keys, as I am a left hander and use the numpad for all my WoW hotkeys, it's getting to be silly the way I am switching through toggled stances and menus while setting the 3d.

Today I think I will load up Avatar or Crysis and see how more photorealistic games look in 3d, can't wait!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Avatar looks really great, well worth getting that game. Crysis is very difficult to get working properly. I had the best luck using the DDD TriDef Ignition driver in "Virtual 3D" mode with Crysis. This is at least a playable experience with everything maxed out.
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yig »

I didn't have much luck finding anything DDD, beyond 200-300$ software packages. Where are the 3d drivers, is there a free to download version?

Earlier tonight, I was messing with my 3d settings and found out I had set some things way too far and had been playing with these weird settings for a long time, I set them back after finding the presets the iz3d driver hotkeys provided. Within a few minutes tweaking, I suddenly had what seemed like the most perfect, clear, easy on the eyes realistic depth in WoW I had ever seen. For about 2 hours it seemed too good to be true.

I forgot to write down my settings though and I restarted the program on accident, losing everything.

Now I am lost in arbitrary settings again, the presets seem to be different everytime I reload the game, and even switching left and right eyes now I can't seem to find that magic setting any more.

Hopefully I will find a setting again that seems so perfect.

Do you all constantly readjust your settings, or do you tend to find a setting you eventually stick with?
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yig »

Is there a way to save your current setting in the iz3d setting?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Iz3D automatically saves your settings but it is on a per game basis. You have to find the right settings for each game on its own.

You can download a free trial of the DDD drivers from this page (14 day trial):
http://www.tridef.com/download/TriDef-3 ... 4.0.2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DDD drivers are inferior to the IZ3D ones, however they do work well on certain titles like Crysis, Need For Speed and Bioshock among others.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

The separation must be almost the same than your interpupil distance. Almost, because it's somewhat uncomfortable if you match it, for some reason. And extremely uncomfortable if it's bigger, as you can imagine, because the eyes are forced to diverge.

In general, if you find a good value for separation, you can use it across all games and focus on finding a convergence value for each game. It's a lot easier that trying to find the correct separation/convergence combination at the same time.

Keep in mind that objects "at infinite" can be used as a clue to find a separation that is similar to your interpupil distance.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
yig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yig »

I think I have found some settings now that I like. I am hitting levels here i didn't think were possible, it's just jaw dropping.
I would have paid ten times or more for this effect.

Is the separation what makes, for instance, my WoW character's shoulder pads and armor look defined and bumpy, solid? It seems all the little raised portions of my armor seem more solid when I get the separation near the point I cannot focus.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

High separation is one way to get a greater 3D effect, but convergence is important too. What creates the 3D effect is when each eye sees something different. So by adding separation your create a different vantage point for each eye to see. That is how stereo 3D works. It you put it too high you will not be able to focus so be careful jacking up the settings. I find it more comfortable to play with moderate settings when everything is in clear focus, rather then really high settings where I must chose to focus on one aspect of the game (like just the background or just the character). Everyone is different I suppose.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”