Vuzix Wrap VR1200

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Vuzix Wrap VR1200

Post by ancjob »

Fredz wrote:
cybereality wrote: You can't use VGA in this case for sure, but since the HMD from Sony doesn't seem to have VGA inputs I don't see a problem there.

will the sony HMD work with HDMI 1.3 as well ?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

For now I've not seen a confirmation that this HMD is HDMI 1.4 compliant, so all of this is only speculation for the moment. But that would be the more logical choice and in this case it should be possible to drive this HMD in 3D with any GPU that supports at least HDMI 1.3.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Sony HMD is almost surely HDMI 1.4a compliant, it would be a joke if it wasn't. But, of course, you can watch 2D content over HDMI 1.3 if needed.

But to get back on topic: Its September 1st and Vuzix hasn't updated their site. WTF?!?!?!?!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:The Sony HMD is almost surely HDMI 1.4a compliant, it would be a joke if it wasn't. But, of course, you can watch 2D content over HDMI 1.3 if needed.

But to get back on topic: Its September 1st and Vuzix hasn't updated their site. WTF?!?!?!?!
i was craving for a headset with HDMI 1.3/1.4a input and finally it's really happening...
as long as it's HDMI input - i am good :D

relax cyber ! you 'd have a lot of choice for an HMD as 2012 will the year of HMDs...
1)vuzix 1200vr
2)cimemizer OLED
3)Sony HMD

maybe even emagin introducing something better as well..... :D
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

The box has arrived,... am a little disappointed the courier let a co-worker recieve it.

This was a virtual impulse buy, so when i post some kind of review, please excuse my newbness
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

etaxdoa wrote:The box has arrived,... am a little disappointed the courier let a co-worker recieve it.

This was a virtual impulse buy, so when i post some kind of review, please excuse my newbness
Great....
Will be great to hear anything about the Wrap1200.
Do you have a VGA adapter to see how it works with a computer ?
We are all newb's when it comes to the Wrap1200..no one has got their hands on it but you...and that co-worker...LOL
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Congratulations; I'm glad they are starting to arrive!

I'm rapidly losing patience with Vuzix; this is no way for an international company to behave. I hope the 1200 turns out to be worth the wait!

UPDATE: I've just had an email from Vuzix (after I posted a grumpy message on their forum) telling me that they expect to start shipping "early next week". When they said the 1200 was getting released in August, I guess they meant August 37th...
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

So far, so ok!

Got home, eventually got round top openeing the box... contents all there which was a good start.

attached the control box and the cables and was briefly impressed by the On Screen Display options, clearly legible and quite a few options.
Have been holding back on watching Resident Evil Afterlife for a while now so as to watch it first time on the 1200... after my media player initally started playing up, finally got it working and whilst the picture looked good to start, yes it is definitely watchable for movies, and the sound is good through the earphones, I noticed the subtitles that were enabled a little hard to read.

Played around with the setup options on my media player and found the text in certain areas, mainly the upper right center of the left eyepiece to be a little hard to focus. Playing around with the optic adjustments, ie sliding the individual eyepieces left or right (Inter Pupil Distance? IPD) seemed to assist and make the text a little clearer, but not as clear as in other sections of the screen. by sliding the left eyepiece as far to the right as possible seemed to improve the text, whilst also washing out he depth of the color. Adjusting the tilt of the lenses upwards also improved the clarity of the text, though in this position the glasses tend to slide off the nose. The adjustable nosepiece that sits on the brdige of the hose is next to useless, and like the focal adjustment is a little stiff to adjust and requires two hands, otherwise it suddenly tends to pop out of the eyewear. Adjusting the focus with one hand I'd find myself sliding the adjustment tabs on top of the eyepiece with my forefinger whilst my thumb had a grip on the IPD adjustment underneath the eyepeices, hence both would tend to adjust, as the top adjuster requires too muchforce to adjust smoothly resulting in the thumb applying pressure and the IPD changing. I have astigmatism and found rotating the eyewear about my nose and also about the vertical axis also assisted in getting a clear image, though am not willing to staple the unit to my head to keep it in such a position, so whilst I though maybe my screens may have been at fault accept it is probably my eyes.... and it is next to impossible to wear glasses underneath the 1200. The best position seems to be with the lcd underneath the level of the eyes slightly and tilted which cause a little eyestrain, or with the entire optical unit poped out of the eyearwar and held firm against the brow... which is what i think i'll end up doing with cloth in a kind of blindfold fashion

I had forgotten the optical unit pops out of the eyewear, and though for a moment I had broken the headset whilst trying to adjust whilst on my noggin. What is broken is the cable fixed to the headset that runs to the control box. on the left arm of the glasses there is a small bracket that the cable looks to clip into so the cable can be routed closer to the neck and centre of the head, which would be handy when using the 6DOF tracker... unofrtunately the bracket is too small for the cable. The eyewear looks to have been packaged with the cable positioned in this bracket as the cable has split insulation at the point it attached to the bracket, revealing the wire inside. The split is only 3-4mm long, butI imagine this will rapidly grow if it were to be conintually used. Am not even going to try and squeeze it into the bracket as it will surely open the spilt wider.

Watched a bit of the start of Star Wars IV, a mix of dark and bright scenes.... after playing around with the IPD, focal adjustment, OSD options such as brightness, settled on the bright scenes being a little washed out in colour, and the black in the dark scenes not quite being black enough. So far my eyes tend to go in and out of focus also.

I bought the unit as refreshment training using flight simulator, amongst other gaming goodness. I expect that the resolution will not be near great enough to allow easy reading of the simulators instrumentations, and also expect that it will not make for a permanant monitor replacement, I really expect to use it only for gaming and watching movies on long flights.

So for the cons so far;

limited optical adjustments - can adjust to give clear text but colours wash out (only a small range of adjustment before this happens)
eyewear slips off the nose - thinking of grabbing a black piece of cloth and tieing the eyewear underneath in a blindfold fashion
split cable
(- I think I ordered moments after the 1200 went on sale and it has taken till today to arrive, am sure if I were to return the unit under warranty it'll be that long again before I get a replacement)
glasses can be worn underneath the eyewear, but can only see myself using it with contact lenses in
accutilt (?) patent - seems to be nothing more than friction between to bits of plastic to hold the tilt of the lenses

Pro's:

The resoltuion and diagonal, field of view... all those numbers are large enough to be immersive whilst watching movies

Am expecting the 6dof tracker will overwhelm any of the cons once I get round to installing the software and games to use it.
Have to go into work for a bit at some stage tomorrow,.. will hopefully have watched an entire movie and played a bit of 3D in the next 24hours and will post my latest thoughts then
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Thanks so much etaxdoa, good to hear some input on the Wrap1200.
When you have some time, just a couple questions. Do you have it hooked to a PC ? If so, can text be read in windows desktop/internet and how does the scaled resolutions of 1280x768 and 1024x768 look ?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Thanks etaxdoa. It sounds exactly like the worst parts of the VR920 and the Headplay combined :(
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i always had doubts on quality of wrap 1200....since the exp i had had with av920 !
now it 's confirmed - the headset is so so - IPD adj. difficult and limited , same goes for focus as well.....from the review

i guess am ok with headplay - wait for the sony HMD or cinemizer OLED
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@etaxdoa: Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like the model still has some issues, but it seems like a step forward from something like the VR920. I'm still planning on getting one (the VR model) but I can't help but feel a little disappointment by your review. I guess its better to go in with realistic expectations. Also, quick question: Do you notice that the screens get a negative/darkened effect on them. I know you said the colors were bad, but did you notice this negative effect (mostly on dark scenes)? I have that issue with the Wrap 310 and was hoping Vuzix had fixed it somehow.
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

3dvision

Am writing this in 800x600 with the VGA adapter attached to my PC. The text is just a tad too small to read and work comfortably with at the 1024x768 and 1280x720 resolutions. Again, if I rotate the entire headset about a vertical axis, I can get much clearer text in differing parts of the screen. For instance I could not read the author (left part) of your post unless I rotate the headset. It is as though the LCDs are too wide for the optical lens to get a a clear view of the entire screen. As I write this reply in wordpad, text to the far right and left of screens is hard to read. 800x600 is the go for browsing/simple tasks like emailing etc.
Also, I am writing this now with my eyeglasses underneath. Wearing the eyeglasses underneath seemed find for the ten minutes or so for the movie I was just watching. Resident Evil looks much better viewing through my PC, at 1280x720/1024x768/800x600 then it did on my media player, which is just a cheapo Aldi/Tevion player.

Okta
My biggest disappointment is that the screen appears to big for the lenses to focus the entire screen. It could be just my eyes and I'd like to hear the experience of someone who doesn't require corrective glasses or lenses.

ancjob
Having not experinced the 920, I am also a little disappointed that the adjustments are not smoother than they are. I was definitely expecting it to be easier and the headset more stable whilst making adjustments. Am considering the bands that strap around the back of the head from each arm of glasses to secure the eyewear better, though at the moment am not having any issues with the headset itself moving or falling off. The plugs for the earpieces seem to be sitting on top of my glasses and holding the eyewear in a stable position.
I'll probably buy the sony also.

cybereality
I think you'll enjoy the headset, being that you sound like a true 3d/VR aficionado. I'd be enjoying writing this review more if my touch typing was not requiring me to occasionally look at the keyboard under the glasses. Buy the lightshields, am sure you'll find them a worthwhile investment, I am still to try out a black singlet blindfold.
I am also unable to get w7/catalyst to display the 1200 as a copy/duplicate of the monitor. Can only set either as an extended desktop.. that's an issue with me though not the headset I am sure. I think my review came out more negative than I am feeling about the headset at the moment, I was kind of hoping there to be no issues whatsover. For watching movies, and this basic web/browsing I am happy. I could not work on spreadsheets or do my CAD work with these. Am yet to try flightsimming, or gaming where I am still expecting to be awesomified by the head tracker. Since I am rather impressed by the picture quality for watching movies, am expecting 1280x720, or 1028x760 to be sufficient for gaming. 1280x720 comes up as being the "recommended resolution".

AS of the negative/darken effect you ask of I am not too sure of what you mean... watching Star Wars IV last night, in the first scene where the good guys are being shotdown and chased there is a planet to the far left of screen there was a bit of a blue halo round the moon... again, rotating the headset got rid of this effect. I havenoticed this kind of effect to the far left and right of the left and right eyepieces respectively... adjusting the IPD can also remove this effect, but washes out the colour a bit. I am guessing if I had seen the negtive/darkened effect you ask of I'd immediately know what you are talking about, so am guessing the answer is no, am happy with the picture quality for watching movies, though black can always be blacker in my book. The colours are not bad at all, just that with the limited adjustments, at either end of the travel, mainly for the IPD, the colours tend to fade... in the middle ground of travel the colours are great.

I am happy with the headset, anyone who needn't any great vision correction I think will be happy with the headset. I think I bought too much into how much optical adjustment could be made and spent too much time last night trying to get perfct vision out of my less than perfect eyesight. I don't think my astigmatism was ever going to help in my review.

Any suggestions on either DDD or the iZ for 3d gaming drivers?
Running 4850x2/4850 crossfire on AMD quad AM3 on windows7
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@etaxdoa: Ok thanks. What you say about having to rotate the displays sounds like the same issue I am calling the negative effect. I assumed the IPD adjustments would fix this, but it sounds like its still somewhat of an issue. Also, what is your prescription for glasses? I wear -2.5 and I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same problem. Its strange you have the focus is such a problem because on the Wrap 310 I can see it clearly without glasses and I never adjusted anything. Maybe it is a new design or maybe the 1200 displays are just too big for the optics they use on other models.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:@etaxdoa: Ok thanks. What you say about having to rotate the displays sounds like the same issue I am calling the negative effect. I assumed the IPD adjustments would fix this, but it sounds like its still somewhat of an issue. Also, what is your prescription for glasses? I wear -2.5 and I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same problem. Its strange you have the focus is such a problem because on the Wrap 310 I can see it clearly without glasses and I never adjusted anything. Maybe it is a new design or maybe the 1200 displays are just too big for the optics they use on other models.

well - same issue as with headplay
screens are too big and lens assemble unable to bring the entire screen to the eye-pieces [small exit pupil] which only fov 30-31 'd have resolved - what i do with headplay as it has reflection as well so i reduce screen size of the video [aspect ratio] to abt fov 30-32 [you can always adjust window size of video running on win media player] - that's the solution for headplay takes care of reflection problem!

had the headplay been designed with fov 30-31 without changing anything - it'd have been the BEST HMD to date !

still wrap1200 offers hope but i still reckon that display will be inferior to headplay only sony can beat that screen quality with HD oleds hence only challenge to headplay for now! - pinning my hopes on Sony....
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

Cyber, not sure on prescriptions, last contacts I bought are -1.25 and -0.75 My left eye is slightly better and it is the left eye-piece that seems to be affected most. No doubt the effect will be annoying in some movies but it only seems to occur towards the far edge of the screen. When I first tried on the 1200 yesterday I did so without my glasses, to be honest it was not that different to what I see with glasses on.

Flightsim looked reasonable enough, yet when its profile was enabled in the VR Manager, so as to enable the tracker and stereofunkaphy, the game wouldn't start due to not recognising DirectX, asking then to reinstall either direct x or flightsim. Installing DX made no difference, disenabling the profile in VR Manager would enable flight sim to run again, but without the fun bits.

I might hold off on buying Sony and wait for Vuzix to install OLEDs into their screens, I like to reward the innovator and back the underdog. Hopefully they manage to improve the optic adjustments a little more by then also. If only the slides weren't so stiff.... something I am sure Sony have more resources and expertise to get correct first time.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Just try to pick up "use DirectX 9" option from FSX menu itself.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Hi etaxdoa -
1)is it accepted as "generic plug'n'play" primary/secondary monitor by your desktop/laptop the moment you plug in the headset using the VGA adapter and usb cable ?

if NOT - did you install VR manager software so that desktop/laptop accepts it as monitor [primary/secondary]

2)what's the native resolution reported by your desktop/laptop for wrap1200 used this way if reported as "generic plug'n'play"?

3)is the SBS 3D absolutely flicker free (no ghosting) ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

etaxdoa wrote:3dvision

Am writing this in 800x600 with the VGA adapter attached to my PC. The text is just a tad too small to read and work comfortably with at the 1024x768 and 1280x720 resolution.
Hi etaxdoa,
Thanks for the reply.

So from what you are seeing do you think the text is just too small at 1280*720 and 1024*768 or is it also too fuzzy/blurry ?

If it's just too small, I think that is an improvement from the Wrap 920, which people thought was Small and fuzzy/blurry at 1024*768.

So just too small would be a step-up and some people may be able to use it for short term windows work. If It's not fuzzy/blurry it is going to be an improvement when used with games and movies.
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

Johnny-Mnemonic
Am trying to get FS 2004 to run first... when the appropriate Vuzix files are copied to the FS2004 folders, FS2004 will not run with the following message "Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microsoft DirectX installed on your computer is incompatible. Please re-install DirectX9 by running Flight SImulator setup or downloading the current version from microsoft.com/DirectX"
The VR manager and Wrap user guide all make reference to the VR920, and there is no "Add" button, which the User Guide refers to. Have pretty much tried everything I can think of, am guessing it has to do with D3D9 file that is copied to the Flight Sim installation folder. Will try FSX later today

ancjob
It is accepted as "generic plug'n'play" primary/secondary monitor by your desktop/laptop the moment you plug in the headset using the VGA adapter and usb cable ?
Setting the 1200 to be either main or secondary does not make a difference either
The native resolution appears to be 1280x720... catalyst identifies the display as Wrap1200, with maximum resolution 1920x1080
Tere is no flickering .... SBS?

3dvison
The text is blurry.... if it were possible to upscale everything as you can do to the desktop with icons then it would possibly be fine, hence why the 800x600 resolution I have found best. Though at the moment, using wordpad with the resolution at 1280x720, the text is legilble and not too small. PDF's that i tried to read yesterday the text was blurry, today the userguide for the wrap tracker is legible...quite readable, though I am notice there seems to be a narro horizontal band across teh centre of the screen were the image blurs. I think it all depends on what the text is sized to in the original document,

In flight sim, when I could get it to work before installing the VR manager... the little red message that comes at to say Press 'P' to pause etc was quite readable.... much like the old SVGA monitors of old
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

Flight Sim X on WIndows 7 also does not run once VR manager is installed and the extensions for the game enabled.

This time on enabling the extensions i get the following when opening FLight Sim

"Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation"

Off to try FlightSimX on XP... :(
:(
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

Delving into the Vuzix VR Manager installation folder, the Test Tracker application also will not run as I am missing d3dx9_39.dll likewise the Test Sound application does not run
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

On the Vuzix official forum, they said something recently about the current VR Manager not recognising the Wrap 1200; apparently they haven't released the update yet!!

Do you think that might be the problem?

Here's the thread in question:

http://forums.vr920.com/Topic5833-2-1.aspx
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

ShawmK wrote:On the Vuzix official forum, they said something recently about the current VR Manager not recognising the Wrap 1200; apparently they haven't released the update yet!!

Do you think that might be the problem?

Here's the thread in question:

http://forums.vr920.com/Topic5833-2-1.aspx
Yea I saw that also. It says to use the Star1200 VR manger.

etaxdoa, is 1024*768 any better than 1280*720 or just the same ?

It dose still sound like the Wrap1200 is doing a better job with scalling than the Wrap 920 did.
Seems like with the Wrap 1200 you can at least use those higher resolution sometimes.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

etaxdoa wrote: It is accepted as "generic plug'n'play" primary/secondary monitor by your desktop/laptop the moment you plug in the headset using the VGA adapter and usb cable ?
Setting the 1200 to be either main or secondary does not make a difference either
The native resolution appears to be 1280x720... catalyst identifies the display as Wrap1200, with maximum resolution 1920x1080
Tere is no flickering .... SBS?
thanks for the info
i really need this for movies specially !
i have nettop [asrock ion 3d - blu-ray] i want this as primary monitor to connect to - currently using headplay [emagin is even NOT plug'n'play]

just want simple plug'n'play with VGA adapter+usb cable + lightshield without heavy control box and power adapter [headplay sucks - too many cables,adapter etc]

now etaxdoa plz clarify

1)1280x720 resolution :
a) are the colors really 'vibrant' [rich] enough for movies ?
b) most important - are the images really very 'sharp' with great details - ?

2) Do the adjustment options [brightness, contrast, hue and color saturation] really help in making the image real 'vibrant' with rich colors for movies specially ?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

etaxdoa,
I just had a thought.
Can windows and games be set to run at the Wrap1200 native resolution of 852 x 480 ?
That resolution should be clear and sharp. Can you give that a try and see if it works ?
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

3dvison wrote:etaxdoa,
I just had a thought.
Can windows and games be set to run at the Wrap1200 native resolution of 852 x 480 ?
That resolution should be clear and sharp. Can you give that a try and see if it works ?
At that resolution the ok and cancel buttons on many dialogs will be cut off :(
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

ShawmK 3dvison
3dvision

VRManager not recognising the 1200 I am guessing is the issue, in the Extension Info the blurb makes reference to the VR920, not 1200. Will try the Star1200 VR Manager, thanks

in Word Pad text at 640x480 is clearer than 720x480, which is clearer than 800x600. I'd probably work in 800x600 or 720x480... am currently running in XP, I think windows 7 had other resolution around the 852xXXX mark, though I am not sure if that particular resolution worked yesterday. Depending on what was previously displayed on the 1200, when changing resolutions the change is not always effective... ie, changing resolution than with VLC player on the 1200, I'd get a blue screen until VLC player was dragged over to the monitor, whilst there were no such problem when Wordpad was on the 1200. I think windows 7 was clearer in general.

ancjob

The whole job is lightweight, and not being wireless there are cables, but nothing unmanageable.

At 1280x720, the colours are rich enough for movies for my liking, though could be alittle brighter, the dark/black could be blacker, the contrast a little more contrasting. There are three presets for combinations of brightness contrast, colour hue etc that seem to suit what I have watched so far. I'll be mainly using these on flights and they'll keep me entertained.

I would not describe the images as 'very sharp'. Having not seen an OLED, I imagine they'd give a much sharper picture with better contrast and brighter colors, so if you really are hanging out for the SD/HD experience i'd probably wait for the Cinemizer

Am hoping the 1200 Star VR Manager solves my issue for gaming.... purchased this for movies on flights, and gaming.... am happy with the movie picture and sound, portability, not so much the stability on the head... so am hoping and expecting it will be great for gaming once it is up and running. I think initially I was expecting atleast SD picture quality.. the image is atleast on par with the resolutions and images from CRT displays in my opinion. I am now starting to doubt whether I'll buy Sony if the headset weight proves to be too much, and would probably wait for Vuzix to roll out glasses with OLEDs before my next purchase, since Vuzix seems to have been the main player in driving this tech to market, am wondering how long before the Zeiss glasses are inthe market?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

etaxdoa: You may want to try the IZ3D or DDD drivers for playing games in 3D until Vuzix releases the new VRManager.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Last one etaxdoa, you have been so kind.
Is 1024*768 also just too small & fuzzy for windows or webpage reading even for a short amount of time ?
I was hoping that a resolution above 800*600 would be usable in windows with the Wrap 1200.

Thanks for your time and replys etaxdoa.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

etaxdoa wrote:
The whole job is lightweight, and not being wireless there are cables, but nothing unmanageable.

At 1280x720, the colours are rich enough for movies for my liking, though could be alittle brighter, the dark/black could be blacker, the contrast a little more contrasting. There are three presets for combinations of brightness contrast, colour hue etc that seem to suit what I have watched so far. I'll be mainly using these on flights and they'll keep me entertained.

I would not describe the images as 'very sharp'. Having not seen an OLED, I imagine they'd give a much sharper picture with better contrast and brighter colors, so if you really are hanging out for the SD/HD experience i'd probably wait for the Cinemizer
well thanks for the info once again
you mentioned the image is on par with CRT - is it the CRT computer monitor or CRT Tv that you are comparing with ?

if it's CRT monitor then i guess the glasses 'd be of very high quality

and if it's CRT Tv [tube tv]- then probably so so

you also mentioned that the images are not very sharp......anyways it's better to have realistic expectations .....kinda dissapointed in vuzix

with info given i think i am better off with headplay if controlbox and portability is not an issue as i can tell you the image quality of the headplay is the same as that of 1280x800 laptop screen [screen a bit reflective]
i will wait for review of Sony HMD let's see if that's better than headplay or not at lest the fov is high enough !
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

Ancjob

Hopefully someone else receives one shortly and gives you their opinion. I have a HTC Desire, I would not put the picture quality in the same league as that, if that is any further guide. Image more like a CRT monitor.

3dvision

Iwas able to write some of these replies using the 1200 at 1280x720 in Windows 7, and under XP at 800x600 for web browsing I think it is really going to depend on the webpage itself. I was able to navigate these forums but can't recal the resolution at the time. I think webpages that Android / iPhones navigate on would easily be useable, and at 1280x720 most normal websites also depending on the text, think font styles tend to disappear.

Cyber

I downloaded the Star1200 download package, which contains the latest VR Manager 3.1.1 the download page on the Vuzix website seems to have 3.1 still linked. 3.1.1 actually follows the user guides and has all the features referred to in the off's downloaded with 3.1, whereas as VR 3.1 misses out on the Gyro setup.

Anyhow, 3.1.1 allowed me to enjoy flight sim in 3d briefly tonight. Much of a wasted weekend still.
Would the dDD or iz3d drivers enable interaction with the aircraft controls n switches in flight sim?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@etaxdoa: The Wrap 1200 does not come with the headtracker, unless you bought it separately. Also, the IZ3D/DDD drivers will only add 3D to games. You should be able to interact with the game exactly as you would in 2D.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

etaxdoa wrote:Ancjob

Hopefully someone else receives one shortly and gives you their opinion. I have a HTC Desire, I would not put the picture quality in the same league as that, if that is any further guide. Image more like a CRT monitor.
i have samsung syncmaster CRT PC monitor and the image is great!

well if the quality is that CRT computer monitor - then the image 'd be vibrant and rich in color with good contrast as well - what do u feel - etaxdoa ?
etaxdoa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by etaxdoa »

ancjob,... given that i have only ever had low end monitors... i wouldn't get your hopes up. I do have an 80cm widescreen CRT TV that was a top end of the line model... the pcture on the 1200 is not that vibrant or clear. Would put it on par with that of lcd monitors shortly after they first started coming out.

cyber... I couldn't wait for the VR to be released and sourced the VGA adaptor and tracker elsewhere. I think I stumbled across the 1200 going on sale on the vuzix website moments after it went live... and was disappointed it took 4 or 5 days to process my payment. For credit card fraud purposes i had to send extra ID to Vuzix, am hoping they haven't stolen my identity. The tracker might have slight issues with yaw (most likely to do with intial gyro setup) I could turn the view just by putting pressure on the side of the glasses yet couldn't turn the view by turning my head, and instead of looking straight ahead out of the cockpit the view was out the left wing. I reset the gyro and it was much better, though not quite perfect, I have a few gadgets i might move further away from the desk. The normal 3d cockpit view i could manipulate controls, the stereoscopic view, enabled by default, the conrols were all static. The normal cockpit view was good, has met my expectations, and has me salivating over true HD images in a lightweight headset, but until then will be more than happy with the 1200VR
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

etaxdoa wrote:ancjob,... given that i have only ever had low end monitors... i wouldn't get your hopes up. I do have an 80cm widescreen CRT TV that was a top end of the line model... the pcture on the 1200 is not that vibrant or clear. Would put it on par with that of lcd monitors shortly after they first started coming out.
well wrap1200vr seems to be the least of the options for me ,cinemizer better and sony the best!
seems all i can do is to wait :D
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Still no word from Vuzix about when they might start shipping our orders... :(

It has now been 25 days since I ordered mine - I hope this doesn't count as part of their 30 day guarantee...
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I would check with your credit card company to see what their chargeback policy is, a lot of them cap it at 60 days. If your limit gets close, I would (As painful as it is) consider looking into a refund. It would suck for Vuzix to have your money with no way to get it back, in the meanwhile waiting months and months for the product to ship.

I pre-ordered an OpenPandora game console a long time ago, and I ended up waiting more than two years past the initial shipping estimate for it to finally arrive, and even when I did get mine, it had a lot of problems. I guess that experience made me a bit cynical on pre-orders. :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@ShawmK: Damn dude! That's almost a month. Hopefully Vuzix will get their stuff together soon enough.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

PalmerTech, I actually paid Vuzix with PayPal, so if worst comes to worst, I will just claim for a refund. I have several emails from Vuzix telling me they expect to start shipping "any day now" but that day never seems to come. What pisses me off is that the Wrap 1200 was listed as "in-stock" when I ordered it - it wasn't supposed to be a pre-order at all.

Cybereality, I agree with you - Vuzix really do not have it together at the moment. I have always had good experience with them in the past, but recently it has been a disaster. They still haven't updated their website, and they are not keeping people up to date.

Of course in the 25 days since I placed this order, Sony have announced their new headset. If I don't get word from Vuzix in the next day or so, I'm probably going to tell them to stick the Wrap 1200 where the sun don't shine...

What a way to run a railroad... :roll:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”