Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by Pingles »

nnamd wrote: Too many laws, regulations, unions. We would be paying $3000.00 a Rift if they built them here. In short... To much Government.
We need to lighten up those laws and regulations to get jobs back! Just like they're doing in Texas! No more namby-pamby regulations like "You can't have a fertilizer plant next door to a school".
robobond@msn.com
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by robobond@msn.com »

Yeah minimum wage is a downer too.

Edit. back on topic. order 52xxx here. knowing i probably wouldnt have recieved my rift by now the customs issue is bothersome but i can hold out. At least untill the end of july then i expect to be getting a little more antsy.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

One of the lucky hundred arrived today. My son seems to like it but I don't get it until Thursday night when I get home. My wife posted this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... s_keepers/
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

got mine today from the US but it was an ebay order so i guess that doesnt count? :-p
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Evenios wrote:got mine today from the US but it was an ebay order so i guess that doesnt count? :-p
maybe? yes?
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

There's nothing to be done now but wait. Honestly this customs issue could drag on for months still, part of me wants to cancel my Rift order since it is quite likely by the time these shipments clear customs the factory will have produced enough inventory to essentially deliver orders immediately. Plus there is the real concern that the "fabled Dev kit 2" may actually get produced sometime this fall - if this custom hang up lasts for several more months we may only be a couple months out before a 2nd Dev kit version gets released.

One other thought, which is unlikely to get any traction - but if the customs concern is related to possible health impacts, I.e. eye strain/damage being so close to eyes, screen radiation or what not) then perhaps
So oculus could get around this be shipping the units partially unassembled - frame and eye pieces without the screens. Then ship the screens separately for final assembly here. I know, not likely, but it's a thought.
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

zebrastealer wrote:There's nothing to be done now but wait. Honestly this customs issue could drag on for months still, part of me wants to cancel my Rift order since it is quite likely by the time these shipments clear customs the factory will have produced enough inventory to essentially deliver orders immediately. Plus there is the real concern that the "fabled Dev kit 2" may actually get produced sometime this fall - if this custom hang up lasts for several more months we may only be a couple months out before a 2nd Dev kit version gets released.

One other thought, which is unlikely to get any traction - but if the customs concern is related to possible health impacts, I.e. eye strain/damage being so close to eyes, screen radiation or what not) then perhaps
So oculus could get around this be shipping the units partially unassembled - frame and eye pieces without the screens. Then ship the screens separately for final assembly here. I know, not likely, but it's a thought.
hopefully it wont take months. I doubt it's any reason other than a mislabeled pallet or something along those lines.
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

The hints we've gotten seem to indicate it may be more than something so simple as a mislabeled pallet or minor problem with the customs declaration. Hopefully it is a simple issue, but I am not holding my breadth...
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

zebrastealer wrote:There's nothing to be done now but wait. Honestly this customs issue could drag on for months still, part of me wants to cancel my Rift order since it is quite likely by the time these shipments clear customs the factory will have produced enough inventory to essentially deliver orders immediately. Plus there is the real concern that the "fabled Dev kit 2" may actually get produced sometime this fall - if this custom hang up lasts for several more months we may only be a couple months out before a 2nd Dev kit version gets released.

dont forget they are disrupting the industry for a few businesses that would love to see the process hindered.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by t0pquark »

garagebattle wrote: dont forget they are disrupting the industry for a few businesses that would love to see the process hindered.
+1

There are defense contractors selling inferior products to the government, and doing so for $10,000+ a pop. People don't like losing their gravy train, and they CERTAINLY don't like having to explain it to their stockholders.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

If your order is in Processing, is it too late to cancel? I'm leaving the country in about a month, and won't be back for another 10 months... If it's not here by then, I may just try to cancel... Dunno. Would've had it this week if Oculus didn't f*ck up the shipping of those 100 already here :x
GanjaRoach
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GanjaRoach »

We all have been waiting months for the rift to come in, some longer then others and we expect the lack of communication from bigger company's because they know the product will sale either way. From a new company tho this isn't a good sign they could at least update us weekly even if they had no new info at least let us know that. It would take no more then 10 minutes of someones time to post a update on the customs issues. With that said I really respect the oculus team with what they have done in such a short time and its good to see a new company starting up because bigger company's begin to just worry about the bottom dollar and forget about the people.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny, But when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

I mean they already have our $300+. I hate to say it but there is not much of a rush to get the product to us now that every major tech/media outlet and big gaming company are all on board. It'll get out of customs when it gets out of customs, and we're all left out to dry until then.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

TheVividLight wrote:I mean they already have our $300+. I hate to say it but there is not much of a rush to get the product to us now that every major tech/media outlet and big gaming company are all on board. It'll get out of customs when it gets out of customs, and we're all left out to dry until then.
You could not be more wrong.

Many of the big development houses you speak of are in need of hardware. I know for a fact that some very important development folks currently have their Kit stuck in customs.

To the contrary, Oculus IS SWEATING to get those kits out so as to not cause a delay in software development. I absolutely guarantee you that.
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

Tirregius wrote:
TheVividLight wrote:I mean they already have our $300+. I hate to say it but there is not much of a rush to get the product to us now that every major tech/media outlet and big gaming company are all on board. It'll get out of customs when it gets out of customs, and we're all left out to dry until then.
You could not be more wrong.

Many of the big development houses you speak of are in need of hardware. I know for a fact that some very important development folks currently have their Kit stuck in customs.

To the contrary, Oculus IS SWEATING to get those kits out so as to not cause a delay in software development. I absolutely guarantee you that.

You work for them? No you don't. People like you on this forum, the official forum, and reddit reply in such a matter-of-fact way that its almost offensive. You dont know anything more than we do about where our rifts are at or why they are stuck at customs. Please don't portray yourself as part of the company or part of some vr "cause" you can get behind where you play an integral role. Save your bullshit, and keep pressing on Oculus to get our rifts to us.

Sorry to be so blunt with you, but I don't post often because its so off putting to hear reply's like this to people every day from every single channel of communication from Oculus that I usually just go look elsewhere for information. But to be honest, if every single one of you guys who stands up for Oculus and their lack of communication ACTUALLY works for Oculus, then they are hemorrhaging money faster than Michael Jackson at a middle school.
HappyHimitsu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HappyHimitsu »

@TheVividLight I can't help but agree with you.
I get tired of hearing people making such blind assumptions when a quick google search away reveals that when an item is in customs you really have no idea of when it will make it out or not.
Months could be optimistic, and I would really like to know what Oculus is planning to do in the event that our Rifts are stuck indefinitely; as well as how long they are willing to make us wait to find out.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Look, they are super stoked about $16mil US VC. This is a small operation as hardware ventures go. There's no big buyout or massive partnership happening that would preclude their utter dependence upon independent software development/integration. There is only one path to a volume of software for this device currently. That is evangelizing the software community through hardware distribution.

This little dev kit is still their life-blood. If it comes out tomorrow that a major player steps off the sidelines to join and fund Oculus that might change things, but that hasn't happened. Oculus and only Oculus is currently bringing VR hardware to market. It doesnt require employment at Oculus to deduce what is happening here. it's logic and reason.

Funny, my point was to hopefully give some assurance to the ones whose orders have been delayed that Oculus needs that hardware distributed in order to execute their plans, and in doing so somehow pissed people off. Somewhatbaffling to me but sobeit.
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

I have known people that get way too bent out of shape over things that don't matter that much. I've also seen people act really tough on the internet, who never say a word to you in real life.

I'm thankful this is happening. For the first time in a long time, I'm excited about gaming again, and excited about technology again. If they run into some snags along the way, no big deal. We've been waiting 15-20 years for this tech, we can wait a few more months.

Negativity towards those who create kills their drive to keep fighting. It is the most useless transfer of energy on the planet. Imagine this truly is 100% out of their hands, a learning lesson, a mistake. Support them. Negativity hurts productivity.

I'm sure Oculus could do something positive for the community as a way to say 'thanks' for the patience. If not high five anyway. Way she goes.
Bmitch1012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bmitch1012 »

The rifts have been set free from customs!!!! :woot
s0uL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by s0uL »

"Good news: we've (finally) resolved the US customs issue. Now that we've sorted out the mix-up (it was due to missing paperwork on our end), future shipments should be processed smoothly.

The first ~2,500 dev kits have cleared customs and are now on their way to the warehouse for fulfillment. We expect to get all of these processed, labeled, and in the mail early next week (some should make it out Friday). The second batch of 1,000 units is being processed by customs now.

A quick update on Australia and New Zealand Rifters: we have a large batch of units queued up, and the hold-up is that we're setting up a fulfillment center for the region. We'll have more info for you next week.

Sorry again about the delays and thanks for bearing with us!

// cybereality

PS. If you’re in a situation where your address is changing within the next few days, just email support@oculusvr.com with more details and we’d be happy to help coordinate your kit’s delivery. Thanks again!"

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMG
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5zfx5zCUwQ
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

s0uL wrote:"Good news: we've (finally) resolved the US customs issue. Now that we've sorted out the mix-up (it was due to missing paperwork on our end), future shipments should be processed smoothly.

The first ~2,500 dev kits have cleared customs and are now on their way to the warehouse for fulfillment. We expect to get all of these processed, labeled, and in the mail early next week (some should make it out Friday). The second batch of 1,000 units is being processed by customs now.

A quick update on Australia and New Zealand Rifters: we have a large batch of units queued up, and the hold-up is that we're setting up a fulfillment center for the region. We'll have more info for you next week.

// cybereality

PS. If you’re in a situation where your address is changing within the next few days, just email support@oculusvr.com with more details and we’d be happy to help coordinate your kit’s delivery. Thanks again!"

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMG
Out of my current mood (and cynicism) regarding the whole thing, I was about to scream at you if you were lying, but OMG, YES; it's TRUE! I literally became short of breathing.

Tip to anyone who is posting very hard-to-believe news in the future: link to your source! I was pretty much panicking from thinking that this might be fake.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

s0uL wrote:"Good news: we've (finally) resolved the US customs issue. Now that we've sorted out the mix-up (it was due to missing paperwork on our end), future shipments should be processed smoothly.

// cybereality

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMG
Like I said.... :-) setting up a new fulfillment center....like I said, central to their success.

Go little engine!
HappyHimitsu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HappyHimitsu »

Well I'm sure eating my words this time! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!
So freaking stoked meow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woot :woot :woot
s0uL
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by s0uL »

jf031 wrote:

// cybereality

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOMG
Out of my current mood (and cynicism) regarding the whole thing, I was about to scream at you if you were lying, but OMG, YES; it's TRUE! I literally became short of breathing.

Tip to anyone who is posting very hard-to-believe news in the future: link to your source! I was pretty much panicking from thinking that this might be fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... GwjfUFyY6M
GanjaRoach
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GanjaRoach »

So it's been a month now right? They should have at least 2 batches ready for shipment shouldn't they? Not complaining just wondering if this hold up might turn out to be a good thing by getting every one there rifts all at once.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny, But when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

WHAT WHAT!!! Read the news last night! So pumped right now, and this may sound crazy - but I think I had the best sleep that I've had in a long time after reading that reddit post last night!

GET PUMPED PEOPLE!!
8bit
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 8bit »

I guess I don't have to put this sign up around my neighborhood anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Has anyone gotten any shipping updates?
Bmitch1012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bmitch1012 »

Vamplifire wrote:Has anyone gotten any shipping updates?
My ups mail innovations now returns 6 orders. So I'm either getting 6 rifts delivered or Mail innovations has nothing to do with the rift shipping as I have suspected since I first started checking it.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Bmitch1012 wrote:
My ups mail innovations now returns 6 orders. So I'm either getting 6 rifts delivered or Mail innovations has nothing to do with the rift shipping as I have suspected since I first started checking it.
UPS mail innovations is about as reliable as lifeguard who can't swim.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Bmitch1012 wrote:
its the tracking equivalent of mad-libs.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Yea, mine is showing 6 as well (do we preceed our order number with a "0" like on Oculus's Order Status page, or not?). If I don't put the "0", it only has one package... Hopefully my Rift is among them! :woot
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

WOOOOOOOOO! Shipping notification arrived this morning at 1:18am!!! Order #20030. It's finally happening! :woot

I'm on the east coast, and according to the tracking number it will arrive on Wednesday :woot
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

East coaster here, 045xx, still no shipping notification :(
AlienHack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlienHack »

GanjaRoach wrote:So it's been a month now right? They should have at least 2 batches ready for shipment shouldn't they? Not complaining just wondering if this hold up might turn out to be a good thing by getting every one there rifts all at once.

EXACTLY what i was thinking.

I mean the customs issue is like 2 weeks old (maybe even 3) AND in the meantime i dont see anyone receiving rifts all these weeks!!! so shouldnt other bartches have been released??

what about europeans!! the last ones receiving were like 2-3 weeks ago!! :?
Bmitch1012
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bmitch1012 »

Of course the customs issue had to be cleared up the week of the 4th.. I'm sure that will postpone the arrival of my "early next week" delivery to the following week. Still extremely excited.. 44xxx patiently waiting in NYC.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

GanjaRoach wrote:So it's been a month now right? They should have at least 2 batches ready for shipment shouldn't they? Not complaining just wondering if this hold up might turn out to be a good thing by getting every one there rifts all at once.
Wait... So how the heck is it a "good thing" for those that ordered in September to have to wait a month longer, just to get them at the same time as those that ordered months later? It'd be much better for people to get them as soon as possible, rather than making people who have already been waiting for 9 months wait another month for "equality's sake" (if I'm correctly getting that idea from your post).
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Basically dev kits are great if you get them on time, If you don't you end up with an obsolete trinket that you literally have to replace in a week and get maybe 1/2 or less, the normal time with it.

Look at the Ouya dev kit, some people got them like a month before launch and can't even make the project til months after release AND you payed extra for an obsolete variant (glad I didn't order that SDK).

Let's hope dk2 doesn't come til at least 2 months after fulfilling 99% of back orders, otherwise it literally was a waste of money for the unlucky people, especially now Rift is getting funding regardless.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

So yeah, I guess a good chunk of us who've been held up in customs for a month can look forward to getting our shipping emails sometime tomorrow.
No doubt in my mind they'll be able to ship maybe a couple hundred US orders tomorrow, and that should include mine. :D

I've been goin crazy all weekend, waiting for this next week, even ordered a really nice graphics card in anticipation, which should arrive around the same time.. heh

Return to “Oculus VR”