Demo a rift devkit?

mitorious
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Demo a rift devkit?

Post by mitorious »

Wish I'd ordered one right at the start (Not an option as I just been made redundant) but I love the whole demo'ing kit to other enthusiasts aspect of this!

I remember showing off an expensive variant of the buttkicker tactile transducer setup and it was very cool (and a little weird) to have strangers turning up at your house to have a look!

Think it would be nice if everyone who gets to demo a rift for free from some kind soul chucks them something like £10 towards backing a rift related project (like the gallery) on kickstarter. That way everyone wins!
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Im in the merseyside area and would chuck anyone £50 or so to take a look at one who is close by. I havent managed to beat one out of the wife yet so missed the whole bloody boat on the dev kit 1 but ill preorder the dev kit 2 as soon as it drops and return the favour if needed ofc :)
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Post kickstarter 10/10/2012 so maybe fingers crossed ill have mine by early may
Im in the UK a few miles from the Dartford bridge Kent , have posted on google map.
Welcome to try mine out as long as you bring a few beers round and dont get flerty with the misses.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Windsor, Ontario here. Though I have to get a new graphics card on my comp before it'll be of any use on my home computer. looking into ways of making this more portable. Have it hooked up at work at the moment.
mitorious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitorious »

:shock: LOL, Flirting with the missus!

I'd certainly be up for taking beers to a meet-up. Thinking about it it would be good at any meet up to arrange the best possible combination of kit we could organise to get the greatest effect; Rift (obviously), Hydra, games, top quality headset etc.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

A Rift Lan party night , now that would be good
half a dozen or even a dozen rifters getting lagged up kicking each others asses and experimenting sharing tips on what we've learnt
and how to get the best out of it.
kanzie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kanzie »

Happy to hear people are getting their dev-kits, this truly is groundbreaking into new territory. My friend (kalabalik) in Sweden ordered his dev-kit a while back and we have spent many o' nights dreaming about swooshing through Mirrors Edge wearing Rift on our heads. His kit is still far from arriving however I am in San Diego for work this week and we thought of the brilliant idea of checking this forum if anyone lives in the vicinity who has received their Rift and would like to demo it?

Ill bring the beer if you help me experience the real thing and make my friend eternally envious! :-)
beavermatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beavermatic »

Cincinnati, OH reporting in.... Give me a shout if you live around Cinci to give the rift a throw.

I'm gonna have to get ahold of Oculus support in the next couple days as the rift is starting to show random purple line on the right side of the screen from time to time, but still functions, and the purple lines issue is at random.
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

Well I'm in the UK at stoke-on-trent and kickstarted it on aug 5th.My order has just changed to processing so hopefully I will see mine soon.Will post my location on the map when I get it and let you know on this thread if anyone nearby wants to try it.
mitorious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitorious »

Well, looks like WormSlayer has picked his up and is graciously demo'ing at the Watershed in Bristol. If you're about on here mate I'm definitely going to swing by (I work for the council so I'm only a short walk away), I see you have a hydra already, do you have a wired 360 controller? I could bring along if that suits some demo's more?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

My Rift will (hopefully) be being demo'd at the 'Rezzed' Indie Developer Event 22nd/23rd Jume at the NEC, Birmingham, UK by White Paper Games who will be showing their game Ether-One for the first time in public.

They've added Rift support and are aiming to have Razer Hydra integration sorted by then as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1365610340
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

YAY.Rift arrived today.6 days after my order went from READY to PROCESSING.Not bad.As I said I'm in the Stoke-on-Trent area so fire me a PM if you want to come round and give this sucker a try.
Off to put me on the rift demo map now.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Here is my personal demo list I made yesterday.

Best Oculus Rift Demos
X-Box or mouse and keyboard
1. Unity Tuscany Demo v.21 - best starter demo - great demo
2. Rift Coaster - not so great graphics - great demo
3. ProjectJ_Rift - Jetpack Demo - big sense of scale - great demo
4. Museum of the Microstar - has high pc requirements - great demo
5. RiftAmp - has high pc requirements - great demo
6. S-F_Pack - Space ship environment
7. Proton Pulse - no motion sickness - VR pong
8. Spacewalk - Hard controls
9. GirlMirrorLook
10. Bunny Stories - weird crayon cartoon style
11. Team Fortress 2 - can see character body
12. UDK demos - require console commands - stereo on and hmdwarp
13. Hot Air Balloon - moves kind of fast
14. Planet1 beta demo - hard controls good environment
15. Unity Island Demo - good environment but has graphics and scale issues
With Hydra
1. Unity Sixense Tuscany - great demo
2. BuckExperimental_05.04.13 - Has learning curve - great demo
3. Flying Sandbox -Hard to learn at first
With Joystick
1. Heli-Heli latest version - great demo
2. First Law space sim
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by dbuckvs »

Shame, someone wrecked the map. removed myself from it, I think we've found all uhh 5 of us in philly that are interested so far anyway haha.
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

dbuckvs wrote:Shame, someone wrecked the map. removed myself from it, I think we've found all uhh 5 of us in philly that are interested so far anyway haha.
:( Yep, someone has invested a good amount of their time to intentionally mess up the map, by painstakingly moving every single pin to Germany. *sigh* I don't understand why people are dickheads, I really don't.

I googled around a bit, and there doesn't appear to be any way to roll back.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

It was bound to happen sooner or later, Some people just cant help themselves.
beavermatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beavermatic »

Damn, and I was getting alot of interest and visist from fellow forum members from that map too. Why's someone always got to ruin a great thing?

Had a guy run out at midnight last night just to try it, his order isnt arriving until end of this month more than likely, and he was estatic and excited as anyone would be... I think it helps folks ease their anxiety being able to give it a run for a couple of hours. Makes the wait easier to take knowing what to expect.
clipkilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clipkilla »

Hey all, I'm in London and happy to demo the rift to anyone who wants to check it out.

Hadn't thought about demo parties at all but we'll see how many people are interested ;)
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Hi clipkilla
Where abouts in London are you roughly , Im a few miles from the Dartford bridge.
Mine should be here hopefully in the next 4/6 weeks, Maybe i should sit tight and try my own when it arrives.
After trying one it might make the waiting worse than ever lol.
Ps Who fixed the map ?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Someone fixed the map :D I guess the "core" collaborators - the guys who made the map in the first place - may be able to see version control and roll back. Yay!
unc2k3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by unc2k3 »

beavermatic wrote:Damn, and I was getting alot of interest and visist from fellow forum members from that map too. Why's someone always got to ruin a great thing?

Had a guy run out at midnight last night just to try it, his order isnt arriving until end of this month more than likely, and he was estatic and excited as anyone would be... I think it helps folks ease their anxiety being able to give it a run for a couple of hours. Makes the wait easier to take knowing what to expect.

Yup, I was that guy. Major props to ya Beavermatic for having me over so late. It's all I've been able to think and talk about today. We need more people like you around that are willing to share their experiences with others. I know I'll be hosting as many rift demos as I can whenever mine comes in.

Thanks Again!
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Some idiot broke it again, by drawing a heart and a penis using the location markers...
Why do people do this stupid poop.

Why isn't there a feature to deactivate moving and allow only placing location markers in Google maps?
We should try to copy the data of this map to another mapping service so it is save.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Whoever owns the map can evidently roll back, as the initial sabotage was un-done. The person will get bored if the map can just be fixed effortlessly, as is the case. If the map owner is on these forums, let me know who you are and I can PM you if I notice the map has gone bad (or add me as an admin?).
digitaljohn
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by digitaljohn »

I'm in Maidenhead, Berkshire. Absolutely love seeing peoples reactions.

Willing to demo.
clipkilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clipkilla »

Rickardo69 wrote:Hi clipkilla
Where abouts in London are you roughly , Im a few miles from the Dartford bridge.
Mine should be here hopefully in the next 4/6 weeks, Maybe i should sit tight and try my own when it arrives.
Hey Rickardo,

I'm in central London near Liverpool St, so if you can get a train into Charing X you'd only have a short tube ride and a walk to get to me. Totally happy to demo, though yeah, while it might make the waiting harder it is indescribably worth it though :)
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Whoever owns the map can evidently roll back, as the initial sabotage was un-done. The person will get bored if the map can just be fixed effortlessly, as is the case. If the map owner is on these forums, let me know who you are and I can PM you if I notice the map has gone bad (or add me as an admin?).
I fixed it yesterday. Fortunately I have been adding locations to the placemarks to be able to return them if they ended up misplaced. Took me a couple of hours to move them all (and got into an editing fight with another guy in the middle of it) but eventually was able to fix everything and made a backup. Currency working to fix it again.

I have a backup map here: http://goo.gl/maps/X7IgP

I've requested MTBS3D user Fredz (who is the owner) to grant me access to lock if necessary
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
dbuckvs wrote:Shame, someone wrecked the map. removed myself from it, I think we've found all uhh 5 of us in philly that are interested so far anyway haha.
:( Yep, someone has invested a good amount of their time to intentionally screw up the map, by painstakingly moving every single pin to Germany. *sigh* I don't understand why people are dickheads, I really don't.

I googled around a bit, and there doesn't appear to be any way to roll back.
Wow - you mean there is no page admin or something? That sucks, what kind of idiot would o such a useless thing.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

mahler wrote:I fixed it yesterday. Fortunately I have been adding locations to the placemarks to be able to return them if they ended up misplaced. Took me a couple of hours to move them all (and got into an editing fight with another guy in the middle of it) but eventually was able to fix everything and made a backup. Currency working to fix it again.

I have a backup map here: http://goo.gl/maps/X7IgP

I've requested MTBS3D user Fredz (who is the owner) to grant me access to lock if necessary
Awesome :) - thank you
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Fixed.

Took less than an hour this time.
If Fredz gives me admin access, next time will be less than 5 minutes.
beavermatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beavermatic »

unc2k3 wrote:
beavermatic wrote:Damn, and I was getting alot of interest and visist from fellow forum members from that map too. Why's someone always got to ruin a great thing?

Yup, I was that guy. Major props to ya Beavermatic for having me over so late. It's all I've been able to think and talk about today. We need more people like you around that are willing to share their experiences with others. I know I'll be hosting as many rift demos as I can whenever mine comes in.

Thanks Again!

I'm glad it did not disappoint :)

Sorry about the bad right eyes screen thing though. Still got my fingers crossed someone will help me with that defective rift, but I have my doubts.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

clipkilla wrote:
Rickardo69 wrote:Hi clipkilla
Hey Rickardo,

I'm in central London near Liverpool St, so if you can get a train into Charing X you'd only have a short tube ride and a walk to get to me. Totally happy to demo, though yeah, while it might make the waiting harder it is indescribably worth it though :)
Im actually working at Warren street clipkilla which isnt too far from you. I dont know what you have planned for next friday evening the 17th , but if your not busy maybe i can take you up on that offer mate , even a quick demo would be better than none at all.
If this is good let me know and ill pm you during the week .
Cheers buddy much appreciated.
Ps thanks for fixing the map mahler much appreciated mate , unfortunatley the prick that wants too fool with it as made me have to update my location twice already today .
clipkilla
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by clipkilla »

Friday should be ok at this point but if you could get out any other night this week it might be good to have a back-up date just in case :)

Feel free to PM me or email me at dean@preliminal.com and we can sort out details. That goes for anyone else in the London area that might be interested as well.

Demoed to two friends this morning and it's awesome to watch :)
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Cheers Dean
Hopefully friday will be good for you ,as mentioned in email every other day this week is a no no for me .
Getting a little excited , the wait may be over very soon for me to try the rift.
Did you video the demo this morning ?
Pierel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pierel »

I feel like there could be a Oculus category in the craigslist casual encounters section for anyone thaat wants to "meet up" to demo the rift.

That being said; I would I am willing to travel, I am near Providence RI, and I always play safe.
Bleppe
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bleppe »

Is there anyone around the Gothenburg area in Sweden willing to demo the Rift? :)
I'd be forever grateful :D
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

Woo-hoo! The purposes of this thread have been met- I have had my Rift demo! Admins, you can now lock the thread.

Thanks, xef6!
garagebattle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by garagebattle »

When mine comes in I can host demos for Tampa.

Good gear to, GTX 770 GPU, have a racing cockpit with wheel, see what else I can get setup.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

My Rift will be being Demo'd at Rezzed at the NEC in Birmingham, UK this weekend.

I'll be with the White Paper Games guys in the 'Leftfield Collection' showing the first playable demo of their game 'Ether-One' which received the Steam 'Greenlight' last week.

They've been working really hard on the Rift integration and it's looking good, be sure to come a check it out.

Ether One
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

To reiterate my previous offer that anyone near Brighton, UK is welcome to come for a try once I received my Rift - I have now received my Rift. PM me if interested.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Your a good man V8Griff letting them use your rift, ill pop down to NEC on sunday I hope ill see you and the rift there :)

Return to “Oculus VR”