Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Jalaman
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Oculus Rift Dev Kit Arrival Thread

Post by Jalaman »

This is great news. I'm US and in the 46400 range, about 2 hours away from the center. I am still on 'processing' but when has that ever stopped a Rift from arriving? If I were insane I would hope for a package on my doorstep today! But I think next week is a biiiiit more likely ;)
zebrastealer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zebrastealer »

Happy as I am to see some movement in Rift units...I'm also not quite so enthused that these units are shipping to people who ordered much later than many of us. WTF! Hopefully, this means our units on that shipment in Customs are also getting shipped and just haven't been updated. Where is the official Oculus announcement on this? Did the units get processed and are on their way to the fulfillment center?
Damn! I just realized I am one of the first Users on MTBS3d. Joined April 2007 - the month after MTBS3d first opened its doors.

Occulus Rift dev kit, waiting for the release version or a good screen hack....
3 x 24 inch monitors running nVidia surround 3d
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

zebrastealer wrote:Happy as I am to see some movement in Rift units...I'm also not quite so enthused that these units are shipping to people who ordered much later than many of us. WTF! Hopefully, this means our units on that shipment in Customs are also getting shipped and just haven't been updated. Where is the official Oculus announcement on this? Did the units get processed and are on their way to the fulfillment center?
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BloodShed »

zebrastealer wrote:Where is the official Oculus announcement on this?
History has already proven that their level of communication is terrible.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

For the record: Someone claiming to be me said that I already received the Rift: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... ould_be_a/.

That is *not* true. My order is still Processing:

Order ID: 0439XX
Purchase Date: Jan 15, 2013 06:05 AM PST
Order Status: PROCESSING:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

BloodShed wrote:
zebrastealer wrote:Where is the official Oculus announcement on this?
History has already proven that their level of communication is terrible.
23 Hours ago the official announcement was this:
Oculus VR ‏@oculus 23h
@TheVividLight No breakthroughs to report at this time. Our logistics team is working on it, and we'll keep everyone posted.

23 Hours ago according to UPS my order was being shipped.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Well, that sucks... Orders going out in the late 40k range? I'm 20030, and still waiting... (signed up for UPS Choice, still nothing). I'm pissed enough about customs holding them for so long, but Oculus shipping ones that are several thousand behind the front of the line is ridiculous...
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

ElectroPulse wrote:Well, that sucks... Orders going out in the late 40k range? I'm 20030, and still waiting... (signed up for UPS Choice, still nothing). I'm pissed enough about customs holding them for so long, but Oculus shipping ones that are several thousand behind the front of the line is ridiculous...
UPS My Choice has yet to fire for my order. I have a strong hunch that all of them in the US before mine, even yours, probably shipped today.
oculusfan

Post by oculusfan »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:
ElectroPulse wrote:Well, that sucks... Orders going out in the late 40k range? I'm 20030, and still waiting... (signed up for UPS Choice, still nothing). I'm pissed enough about customs holding them for so long, but Oculus shipping ones that are several thousand behind the front of the line is ridiculous...
UPS My Choice has yet to fire for my order. I have a strong hunch that all of them in the US before mine, even yours, probably shipped today.
UPS MyChoice isn't supposed to fire until the day before delivery (unless you pay for a premium account). Just an FYI in case some didn't know.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

oculusfan wrote:
Ericshelpdesk wrote:
UPS MyChoice isn't supposed to fire until the day before delivery (unless you pay for a premium account). Just an FYI in case some didn't know.
Ah, nice! Really hoping mine's shipped now, then... That'd be a huge batch (7k+) if they actually shipped from 20k-48k.
gravity360
Cross Eyed!

Post by gravity360 »

Ah, nice! Really hoping mine's shipped now, then... That'd be a huge batch (7k+) if they actually shipped from 20k-48k.

Yeah that would be like 3 or 4 batches.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

gravity360 wrote:

Yeah that would be like 3 or 4 batches.
Actually it's not as big as you'd think.
I did the math on it at one point earlier in the thread when they flipped to processing.

Assuming that the order tracker catches ~11% of the orders, if everyone in the US between 20K and 48K (anything ordered before 3/30 post kickstarter) flipped on 5/30, I only come up with ~2750 units needed to fill the batch.

Here's the backup math.
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... g_equates/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

This is just a mad house...people pranking people getting rifts that put in an order two weeks ago...
if we all lived in the same town...there would have been one hell of a riot..
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

squibbfire wrote:This is just a mad house...people pranking people getting rifts that put in an order two weeks ago...
Calm yourself with this thought:

In the future, we will be in VR. Trolls such as these CAN be the subject of VR pitchfork riots. :woot
BDVS4Ever
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BDVS4Ever »

squibbfire wrote:This is just a mad house...people pranking people getting rifts that put in an order two weeks ago...
Might as well riot just so we have something to do while we wait. Should I bring my pitch fork or torch?
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz, AMD 6870 @ 1.1ghz, and all cooled by fans XD lots and lots of fans...
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

BDVS4Ever wrote:
Might as well riot just so we have something to do while we wait. Should I bring my pitch fork or torch?
Why choose? Get the benefits of both!
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Order #44832 here and still shows as processing. No email communication here from Oculus from May 30th until today regarding my order. I have not given up hope yet.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

201XX. June has been a month of intense emotions.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

nnamd
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nnamd »

Just trying to help get this Tread to 50 pages.
iarehuuman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iarehuuman »

Well. CyberReality answered our prayers and made a customs update.
TL;DR- 100 units were sent to the most recent purchases. LUCKY DUCKS.
Everyone's been asking for an official shipping update thread, so here it is.

We mentioned last week that we ran into a few, simultaneous snags in different parts of the world that are keeping kits from being imported smoothly. We sorted out the EU issues quickly, but there are still roughly 3,500 units held up at the US port by customs.

We’ve received information from customs about what’s causing the hold-up and we’re working with the right people to resolve it as fast as we can. Customs’ job is to ensure everything coming into the US is safe and within regulations to enter the US market. Their approval process is beyond our control -- All we can do is work with them to make sure they have everything they need as fast as we can.

We don't have a firm date for when the units will be released yet. We have Oculus team members at the port, communicating with customs to try and resolve everything more quickly. We’ll keep everyone posted on updates/changes via @oculus on Twitter and on the Oculus Forums.

Just to throw one more wrench in the works, we made a mistake in fulfillment last week that's caused plenty of expected confusion on the forums. We shipped roughly 100 kits to US customers from extra stock that had already cleared customs from the last batch. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up and and we sent these dev kits to customers at the end of the order list rather than the beginning. This was completely our mistake and we’re really sorry for the mix-up plus the resulting confusion.

We're working around the clock on getting these units out of customs and we’ll keep you updated on progress until kits are being delivered smoothly again. Sorry again, and thanks for your patience.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

As one of the first 100 pre-orderers, I'm upset that I could have been getting my Rift this week instead of who-knows-when, but at least they were upfront about it, and they've given a decently detailed summary of the situation. Also cool that they actually have employees at the site to work on this customs problem.
Last edited by jf031 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

iarehuuman wrote:Well. CyberReality answered our prayers and made a customs update.
TL;DR- 100 units were sent to the most recent purchases. LUCKY DUCKS.
Everyone's been asking for an official shipping update thread, so here it is.

We mentioned last week that we ran into a few, simultaneous snags in different parts of the world that are keeping kits from being imported smoothly. We sorted out the EU issues quickly, but there are still roughly 3,500 units held up at the US port by customs.

We’ve received information from customs about what’s causing the hold-up and we’re working with the right people to resolve it as fast as we can. Customs’ job is to ensure everything coming into the US is safe and within regulations to enter the US market. Their approval process is beyond our control -- All we can do is work with them to make sure they have everything they need as fast as we can.

We don't have a firm date for when the units will be released yet. We have Oculus team members at the port, communicating with customs to try and resolve everything more quickly. We’ll keep everyone posted on updates/changes via @oculus on Twitter and on the Oculus Forums.

Just to throw one more wrench in the works, we made a mistake in fulfillment last week that's caused plenty of expected confusion on the forums. We shipped roughly 100 kits to US customers from extra stock that had already cleared customs from the last batch. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up and and we sent these dev kits to customers at the end of the order list rather than the beginning. This was completely our mistake and we’re really sorry for the mix-up plus the resulting confusion.

We're working around the clock on getting these units out of customs and we’ll keep you updated on progress until kits are being delivered smoothly again. Sorry again, and thanks for your patience.
And here I thought they could never screw up that badly when they put me at the front of the list.
:cry: :cry:
Sorry to get everyone's hopes up
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Soooo... any chance the people in the customs holdup can get a discount coupon on the 1080p at least...?
There was a silver lining around here somewhere... anyone see it? Oh well.

FML :(
Last edited by Drewbdoo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Glad for an update, but SUPER pissed about the screwup with the orders... I would've gotten mine this week.

I just hope I can get mine before I leave the country at the end of next month... Was hoping for some time to try it out and get the some kinks worked out of the programs I'm going to be playing with for the following ten months, while I still have internet, but that's now looking doubtful.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Those 100 people who ordered their Rifts just recently and recieved them straight away must be over the moon and super duper impressed with Oculus's speediness, little do they know how bloody lucky they are.
AussieMike
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by AussieMike »

like many i'm still waiting for my late 2012 pre-order to change from "ready", while watching the forums as people have been receiving their rifts after a short couple of months wait.

i'm still looking forward to getting it one day in the future, but to be honest it's left a very sour taste in my mouth and there's no excuse that oculus can give right now as to why some people are waiting 6+ months while others just a few weeks or a couple of months.

i remember months back there was a thread about loyalty to oculus once the competitors start arriving, and many of us said that we'd stick with oculus even if there was a similarly priced competitor.
i think by now many of us have dropped any loyalty to oculus after this experience, and won't hesitate to spend our money on competitor products/clones in the future, sorry oculus

* my 2 cents *
rwurdig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rwurdig »

Damnit, i was between the 100 first pre orders :(
tell me about bad luck :(
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I don't think customs process is completely out of anyone's control. They answer to someone. This is 'merica. Our government and state officials answer to us and us alone.:)
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I know many people have been waiting a long while, and I've said this before, but please remember that Oculus is a brand-new startup with a small number of employees and they are obviously doing everything they can to get these orders built and shipped (including many flights to the factory, and having people at customs ports).

To achieve what they have already, from a prototype to setting up a business, to a fully-fledge dev kit is remarkable in such a short space of time.
That includes hundreds of flights / demos / interviews around the US and the World, and very little sleep (by the looks of Palmer at GDC. hehe).

The fact that they at least admitted a mistake is a good thing. These things do happen, especially with the mad rush of getting everything done.
A lesser company would have tried to cover up the fact. This appears to have been a genuine mistake, and good job it was only 100 Rifts and not a batch of 3,500.

Yes, it is very frustrating for the early buyers / kickstarters, but hang in there guys.
(I accepted when I ordered mine late that it will take even longer than our estimates for it to arrive.)

Personally, I'm very happy to be a part of Oculus' beginnings, even if it's just as a customer.

Also please remember that they've recently lost one of their own in tragic circumstances.

Keep positive people! 8-)
It will all work out in the end.

OzOnE.
nnamd
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nnamd »

So is all shippments being held up in the US or will another batch come in this week that will not get held up?
everix92
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by everix92 »

nnamd wrote:So is all shippments being held up in the US or will another batch come in this week that will not get held up?
They already said that all future shipments into the U.S. will also be held up until this one clears customs. I would go find the quote from Cyber, but I don't really have time right now.
C3DPO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by C3DPO »

Is there any proof that these things are sitting in customs? Or is there something else going on here.....like a buyout, or a serious production problem. The only consolation that I have is that they are still taking preorders. Which have an August release date, which they should change to early 2014 at this rate. My original release date was listed as April. It's almost July.
AlienHack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AlienHack »

nnamd wrote:So is all shippments being held up in the US or will another batch come in this week that will not get held up?
ok sorry for my question beeing so mean but if all future batches towards the USA will get stuck , shouldnt oculus post next batches to EU or Asia as there are currently no customs problems?
SO my actual question is: this week will a new batch be sent? and if yes , where to?
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

AlienHack wrote:ok sorry for my question beeing so mean but if all future batches towards the USA will get stuck , shouldnt oculus post next batches to EU or Asia as there are currently no customs problems?
SO my actual question is: this week will a new batch be sent? and if yes , where to?
I would say no. If anything, they should re-route at least part of some of the international shipments back to the US, to try and alleviate some of this delay. That is, if they can even get them into the country somehow. I'd think maybe they could, in smaller batch sizes or via a different shipping port and better paperwork.

Even if they don't, US batches should NOT go to other countries. All that will do is INCREASE the delay even further for these people. As long as those batches remain on-hold to US customers, when they finally DO clear customs, the batch will be huge, and a ton of US orders will get shipped and completed relatively fast, to make up for the lost time.

My reasoning, the people stuck in this current customs delay have been waiting AT LEAST 6 months for their Rifts. While in some international countries, people who just ordered a month or 2 ago are already getting theirs. This is far more unfair. People who ordered a month ago should not be getting Rifts, while people who've been waiting half a year are stuck in a delay. Unless of course re-routing those international kits is simply impossible, in that case nothing can be done. :/

There does come a point, when a delay THIS LONG occurs, when enough is enough. When the wait-time disparity between countries is this bad, shipping batches by international grouping no longer makes sense. At some point you have to deal with the orders held in limbo, ABOVE all else, or risk alienating a large group of customers.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

I vote we ship them to Tijuana and then just truck them over the border. I'd even bring my Sombrero!
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Seriously now.....

The Customs Issues I can only buy for so long. Sorry, I know its a new company and all, but its gone on long enough. My sympathy is fading and fast. If this is indeed a Customs Issue, which I do believe it actually is, then I believe it is time to either divulge the issue of the shipments to us, in depth, or find a different way to bring these units into the United States.

The US Customs Department is not in charge of limiting the technological capabilities of our country. Since this looks to be the case and there are 3500 units tied up in customs for US and Canadian customers I believe we have a right to push this with our direct representatives. Either through Customs directly or through our State / Local representatives. In doing so all we would need are the details of the issues so we can work on our end to resolve. If you had each of the 3500 owners to be calling into their representatives I am sure this would get resolved pretty damn fast. Oculus has no idea the power the community could have behind them, no joke.

Obviously having staff standing outside of the Customs compound over the past month has done nothing but waste more money, time, and has proved inefficient. I'd REALLY like to see what Oculus has planned since a month of no progress has come to past.

Next Rant: Why the hell are we not making these in the United States?
nnamd
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nnamd »

stevetb wrote:Seriously now.....

The Customs Issues I can only buy for so long. Sorry, I know its a new company and all, but its gone on long enough. My sympathy is fading and fast. If this is indeed a Customs Issue, which I do believe it actually is, then I believe it is time to either divulge the issue of the shipments to us, in depth, or find a different way to bring these units into the United States.

The US Customs Department is not in charge of limiting the technological capabilities of our country. Since this looks to be the case and there are 3500 units tied up in customs for US and Canadian customers I believe we have a right to push this with our direct representatives. Either through Customs directly or through our State / Local representatives. In doing so all we would need are the details of the issues so we can work on our end to resolve. If you had each of the 3500 owners to be calling into their representatives I am sure this would get resolved pretty damn fast. Oculus has no idea the power the community could have behind them, no joke.

Obviously having staff standing outside of the Customs compound over the past month has done nothing but waste more money, time, and has proved inefficient. I'd REALLY like to see what Oculus has planned since a month of no progress has come to past.

Too many laws, regulations, unions. We would be paying $3000.00 a Rift if they built them here. In short... To much Government.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

nnamd wrote:
stevetb wrote:Seriously now.....

Too many laws, regulations, unions. We would be paying $3000.00 a Rift if they built them here. In short... To much Government.
Untrue, have you seen the job numbers recently? Do you really think our entire society should have "Service" jobs. Not everyone is going to be a Software Developer, Doctor, Professor, Lawyer, Singer, Rapper, Artist, or State Worker. We do need real jobs, and we have plenty of people and skillsets to do these here in the United States. We can be and are competitive in manufacturing in the United States.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

knock knock
Whos there?
Delivery guy
Delivery guy who?
Psych! :twisted:
:cry:
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Oculus VR”