Vk3DVision - A Vulkan 3D Vision Driver (With Single-Frame Stereo and RTX Support)

Marin3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Vk3DVision - A Vulkan 3D Vision Driver (With Single-Frame Stereo and RTX Support)

Post by Marin3D »

@Helifax, the game crashed when recreating the 3D shaders on a fresh start with an emptied cache and 511. I retried twice, but I did not debug enough to be 100% sure the driver was the issue, however reinstalling 472.12 fixed it.

I hope you are not right and and Nvidia keeps the directx9 path for 3D vision alive. Especially with your single frame stereo stuff its a blast to play. that higher framerate and nice fidelity settings are awesome. I will try the 511.23 again with as much stuff turned of that might be another origin of the crashes in 511.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Vk3DVision - A Vulkan 3D Vision Driver (With Single-Frame Stereo and RTX Support)

Post by helifax »

Marin3D wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:03 am @Helifax, the game crashed when recreating the 3D shaders on a fresh start with an emptied cache and 511. I retried twice, but I did not debug enough to be 100% sure the driver was the issue, however reinstalling 472.12 fixed it.

I hope you are not right and and Nvidia keeps the directx9 path for 3D vision alive. Especially with your single frame stereo stuff its a blast to play. that higher framerate and nice fidelity settings are awesome. I will try the 511.23 again with as much stuff turned of that might be another origin of the crashes in 511.
I pushed the full shader cache for Detroit yesterday. It's on the website :) (http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVision/ ... n_Cache.7z)
I noticed some cache corruption can sometimes occur when creating the shader cache so that is why.
You should just start the game normally, let it generate all the shaders.
Then start Vk3DVision and use the cache I provided and it will work. :D

Speaking of 511.23, I had some very strange issues with the driver yesterday... Any Vulkan game would simply not start with Vk3DVision. Not even the splashscreen was shown.
After using DDU and then installing 511.23 back though, everything seemed to be OK though.

I tried upgrading to 511.23 from 452.06 and from 497.x (can't remember the exact driver) and it didn't work. Only DDU fixed it.
There is something strange going on with the latest driver, but once it's working, it is working.

Hope this helps others :)
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

mikulik86 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 am Hi, I'm having graphical issues in Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part Two:
DOOMEternal 18 Jan 2022 17_20_46.png

Any ideas?
You still didn't tell me what in-game settings you are using and what driver.......

DLC2 World Spear works perfectly fine...
1.jpg
EDIT: If you are using a resolution lower than 1920x1080 try to move to 1080p and see if the issue is still present.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helifax on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Hey guys!

A few days ago I finally decided to upgrade and got my new rig (i7-12700KF + RTX 3080). And shortly after that, to my HUGE surprise, I have discovered VK3DVision tool by Helifax :woot
Helifax, you continue to blow the 3D out of the water! You are a God Amongst Humans! 🤯🙏🚀

Unfortunately, I couldn't get DOOM Eternal to run on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop this morning. I have closely followed the readme.pdf and also set OpenVR as renderer in .ini file. However, when I start the game from within SteamVR it just shows on my display but not in HMD (I see the default VR environment with mountains and lines instead). I see VK3DVision prompt in the corner, so the tool itself seems to detect and hook successfully. I wonder what could be the problem?

P.S. I couldn't try AirLInk because my Quest 2 is stuck on v35 firmware while PC auto-updated to v37 (gosh darn Meta...) and I couldn't find AirLink option in Settings. 🤷‍♂️

Would be very grateful for the help 😊🙇‍♂️ Thanks!
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:03 am Hey guys!

A few days ago I finally decided to upgrade and got my new rig (i7-12700KF + RTX 3080). And shortly after that, to my HUGE surprise, I have discovered VK3DVision tool by Helifax :woot
Helifax, you continue to blow the 3D out of the water! You are a God Amongst Humans! 🤯🙏🚀

Unfortunately, I couldn't get DOOM Eternal to run on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop this morning. I have closely followed the readme.pdf and also set OpenVR as renderer in .ini file. However, when I start the game from within SteamVR it just shows on my display but not in HMD (I see the default VR environment with mountains and lines instead). I see VK3DVision prompt in the corner, so the tool itself seems to detect and hook successfully. I wonder what could be the problem?

P.S. I couldn't try AirLInk because my Quest 2 is stuck on v35 firmware while PC auto-updated to v37 (gosh darn Meta...) and I couldn't find AirLink option in Settings. 🤷‍♂️

Would be very grateful for the help 😊🙇‍♂️ Thanks!
Hi and welcome!

Did you change the ini file and add OpenVR instead for the rendering path? (the name is case sensitive btw ^_^)
If you did and you look on the Monitor what does the Overlay show you as rendering?
render.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Hello, Helifax! Thanks for the prompt response! 🙇‍♂️
Yep, I changed renderer to OpenVR by copying it from the comment:

Code: Select all

Stereo3DViewMode = OpenVR
Just tried to launch it again, and I see that active renderer is Nvidia 3D Vision for some reason 🤯 Checked the .ini again, all good - OpenVR renderer selected. 🤔

Maybe I'm starting the game the wrong way? The steps I do:
1. Open Virtual Desktop on Quest 2 and press "Launch SteamVR" button.
2. Open desktop in SteamVR.
3. Launch VK3DVision from within HMD.
4. Launch Doom Eternal from SteamVR library (button says "Play in theater").

P.S. I have disabled DLSS and RT in Doom Eternal settings.

UPDATE: Just tried to start game from Total Commander instead, it starts in HMD, but the renderer is still Nvidia 3D Vision and there is no 3D at all.

UPDATE #2: Tried to launch game via AirLink - same story. It starts in Big Screen mode with Nvidia 3D Vision renderer. 🤷‍♂️

UPDATE #3: I'm a moron... There is vk3dvision.ini in root folder, and also one in vk3dvision folder. Readme clearly states to modify the ini in vk3dvision folder, while I modified the root one... 🤦‍♂️ Sorry for wasting your time, Helifax 🙏
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

So, I managed to configure and play a bit. Not without some hickups, but in the end everything seems to work quite nice! Thanks again!

Helifax, I have few questions, if you don't mind:
- Does it matter which resolution is selected in game? When I play via AirLink, it allows me to select 4K native. But via Virtual Desktop it only allows to select 1080p 🤔
- When I run forward, objects, such as fire, ammo boxes and other smaller objects looses 3D clarity, but when I stop everything looks perfect again. Is that a limitation of current technology, or something wrong with my settings/setup?
- Is the RTX supported already or should be left OFF?

Thanks! 🙇‍♂️
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 am - Does it matter which resolution is selected in game? When I play via AirLink, it allows me to select 4K native. But via Virtual Desktop it only allows to select 1080p 🤔
I had to change aspect ratio for 1440 to become selectable on regular 3dv, maybe similar in your case?
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 am So, I managed to configure and play a bit. Not without some hickups, but in the end everything seems to work quite nice! Thanks again!

Helifax, I have few questions, if you don't mind:
1. - Does it matter which resolution is selected in game? When I play via AirLink, it allows me to select 4K native. But via Virtual Desktop it only allows to select 1080p 🤔
2.- When I run forward, objects, such as fire, ammo boxes and other smaller objects looses 3D clarity, but when I stop everything looks perfect again. Is that a limitation of current technology, or something wrong with my settings/setup?
3.- Is the RTX supported already or should be left OFF?

Thanks! 🙇‍♂️
There is just one Vk3DVision.ini and that is in the Vk3DVision folder that you copy in the game folder. I am sorry if this is not clear, but it should be once you download the rar file and read the readme :D :oops:

1. The resolution you select is the resolution the game will run at on your screen. The same buffers will then be copied to the VR environment and displayed on the VR screen.
2. That is Temporal Anti-aliasing for you and the thing you are seeing is the Temporal instability. It is present in the 2D version as well if you look closely. Seeing it in 3D and on a bigger screen obviously makes it more visible as you are not a cyclops anymore :lol: The "technology" that I am using - meaning Single Frame Stereo - is the state of the art. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just how the game implements TAA (which can be disabled from the console if you want).
3. RTX support is mostly working, but I would recommend not using it as it tanks performance and it does NOT add anything special in the game unlike in Wolfenstein: Youngblood where it completely changes the game. (Here is still SSR and a bit of raytracing here and there. There all reflections are ray-traced).

Hope this helps and glad you got it working :)

mikulik86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikulik86 »

helifax wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:14 pm Is this... the Steam version?? because I played the whole first level today and saw no issues... in DLC2 of Doom Eternal... (Ancient Gods Part 2).
So there is NOTHING to fix in the 3D fix :lol:

What settings do you use in-game? Perhaps there is something related there?
Also what GPU and what driver?
Strange... If I launch the game without the 3D fix, artefacts are not there. I'm sure there is nothing to fix in the fix :D I just hope you can help mi figure out whatever is wrong with my setup. I'd really like to avoid reinstalling Windows 😅

Yes, I have the Steam version.
Today I completely deleted the game folder, redownloaded whole game, defaulted all the in-game settings and changed back only those mentioned in your setup-readme. Redownloaded and reinstalled the 3D fix. In the ini only turned off SingleFrameStereo. The problem is still there.

GTX 1080, 497.29
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, Helifax! 🙇‍♂️
I beg your pardon if I did sound rude with my "technology limitation" statement 🙏 I really, really didn't mean to. What you have achieved with VK3DVision is quite frankly otherworldly! 🚀🧑‍🚀
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

mikulik86 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:25 pm
helifax wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:14 pm Is this... the Steam version?? because I played the whole first level today and saw no issues... in DLC2 of Doom Eternal... (Ancient Gods Part 2).
So there is NOTHING to fix in the 3D fix :lol:

What settings do you use in-game? Perhaps there is something related there?
Also what GPU and what driver?
Strange... If I launch the game without the 3D fix, artefacts are not there. I'm sure there is nothing to fix in the fix :D I just hope you can help mi figure out whatever is wrong with my setup. I'd really like to avoid reinstalling Windows 😅

Yes, I have the Steam version.
Today I completely deleted the game folder, redownloaded whole game, defaulted all the in-game settings and changed back only those mentioned in your setup-readme. Redownloaded and reinstalled the 3D fix. In the ini only turned off SingleFrameStereo. The problem is still there.

GTX 1080, 497.29
Umm.. why are you turning OFF SingleFrameStereo :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ? That should NOT be touched!!!! Where in the Readme did I even mention things like that???? Don't do that! As that will instantly break thing!
What resolution are you running at? Are you at least running at 1600x900?

Don't reinstall windows or stuff like that as you don't need to. If you want me to help you, first I require a bit more of how you are running the game and what settings.. (like resolution, DLSS OFF, RT OFF, Ultra/High/etc preset etc).
Last edited by helifax on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 pm Thank you very much for the detailed answer, Helifax! 🙇‍♂️
I beg your pardon if I did sound rude with my "technology limitation" statement 🙏 I really, really didn't mean to. What you have achieved with VK3DVision is quite frankly otherworldly! 🚀🧑‍🚀
No issue! ;) I didn't take it as such, quite the contrary as it is a geniune question 8-) I just wanted to just showcase/highlight the importance of it :geek:

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Lysander wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 am I had to change aspect ratio for 1440 to become selectable on regular 3dv, maybe similar in your case?
Thanks! 🤜🤛
I think I know what's the problem, actually. Virtual Desktop has a setting (ON by default) that will change display resolution to suit it better for the streaming. This morning I have found that my display is set to 1080p in Windows (I have a 4K display). Most likely, disabling that option should leave display resolution intact, just like with AirLink 🤓
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

helifax wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm No issue! ;) I didn't take it as such, quite the contrary as it is a geniune question 8-) I just wanted to just showcase/highlight the importance of it :geek:
Thanks again, Helifax! It's a real pleasure to deal with you! 🤜🤛😊
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Helifax, I have one more question 🙏
I have adjusted screen position and separation values via in-game menu. However, every time I restart the game those values are reset to default. Is it possible to make them stay, somehow?
Thanks 🙇‍♂️

P.S. I have disabled TAA, and oh boy! It is SO much better now! 🥳
mikulik86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikulik86 »

helifax wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:49 pm Umm.. why are you turning OFF SingleFrameStereo :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ? That should NOT be touched!!!! Where in the Readme did I even mention things like that???? Don't do that! As that will instantly break thing!

Don't reinstall windows or stuff like that as you don't need to. If you want me to help you, first I require a bit more of how you are running the game and what settings.. (like resolution, DLSS OFF, RT OFF, Ultra/High/etc preset etc).
Because of this:
Screenshot2022-01-25225521.jpg
I just automatically assumed that Pascal is not supported 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣

After reinstalling the game (and not touching the ini file) those black artefacts are gone and the graphics looks much nicer. But I can't get rid of the right eye flickering. Tried restarting the game over and over, tried different drivers. Nothing...
Please help.

I'm running @ 1920x1080, DLSS OFF, RT OFF, High details and everything else default.
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

After trying to play Doom Eternal for some time I have faced a very strange performance issue.

To begin with, game video settings are: RTX/DLSS/HDR set to OFF. Graphics Quality set to NIGHTMARE.
If I set the resolution to 1080p, game runs very smoothly. However, If I go higher, e.g. 1440p, I start to see HUGE lags when the camera faces certain angles.
What is even more interesting, is that both in-game FPS counter and VK3DVision say the game runs at 90 FPS at that time. :shock:

I have tried running the game via Virtual Desktop (Streaming Graphics Quality set to MEDIUM) and AirLink, the issue persists in both cases (AirLink lags even more than VD).
I have enabled Performance Metrics in VD, and here I can see that when the lag appears, FPS drops to ~20 and latency goes over 100ms (both in-game and VK3DVision state the game runs at 90 FPS at that time). :?
Any suggestions? I have Asus RT-AX92U WiFi 6 router 1 meter away from Quest 2, connected to PC via gigabit LAN, so the network shouldn't be a problem...

Another issue (thus MUCH smaller) is that Doom Eternal usually won't start in HMD the first time I run it. Only the second (and sometimes third) launch actually starts to display in Quest 2. What could be the problem there?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions from my side... :roll:
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:19 pm After trying to play Doom Eternal for some time I have faced a very strange performance issue.

To begin with, game video settings are: RTX/DLSS/HDR set to OFF. Graphics Quality set to NIGHTMARE.
If I set the resolution to 1080p, game runs very smoothly. However, If I go higher, e.g. 1440p, I start to see HUGE lags when the camera faces certain angles.
What is even more interesting, is that both in-game FPS counter and VK3DVision say the game runs at 90 FPS at that time. :shock:

I have tried running the game via Virtual Desktop (Streaming Graphics Quality set to MEDIUM) and AirLink, the issue persists in both cases (AirLink lags even more than VD).
I have enabled Performance Metrics in VD, and here I can see that when the lag appears, FPS drops to ~20 and latency goes over 100ms (both in-game and VK3DVision state the game runs at 90 FPS at that time). :?
Any suggestions? I have Asus RT-AX92U WiFi 6 router 1 meter away from Quest 2, connected to PC via gigabit LAN, so the network shouldn't be a problem...

Another issue (thus MUCH smaller) is that Doom Eternal usually won't start in HMD the first time I run it. Only the second (and sometimes third) launch actually starts to display in Quest 2. What could be the problem there?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions from my side... :roll:
You don't have the hardware to run that game on Nightmare mode and that resolution.
Either:
- Set the FPS to 60
- Lower the Graphics preset to Ultra or High (don't even know why you would want Nightmare...but oh well.)
- Lower resolution.

The stuttering comes from the VR compositor not having enough GPU compute to composite at the right frame time (since all of it is used by the game).
The only performance issue here is having some unrealistic expectations :)

You do realise that 90 FPS in 3D = 180 FPS in 2D and on top of that you also use SteamVR + Oculus Runtime which puts an extra 14-20% stress on the GPU.... I am not sure what exactly you expect :lol:
Last edited by helifax on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

mikulik86 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:21 pm
helifax wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:49 pm Umm.. why are you turning OFF SingleFrameStereo :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ? That should NOT be touched!!!! Where in the Readme did I even mention things like that???? Don't do that! As that will instantly break thing!

Because of this:

Screenshot2022-01-25225521.jpg

I just automatically assumed that Pascal is not supported 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣

After reinstalling the game (and not touching the ini file) those black artefacts are gone and the graphics looks much nicer. But I can't get rid of the right eye flickering. Tried restarting the game over and over, tried different drivers. Nothing...
Please help.

I'm running @ 1920x1080, DLSS OFF, RT OFF, High details and everything else default.
Pascal is not supported.
That message is there for a reason btw... The issues you are encountering is because of unsupported hardware.
This is a SFS fix only... disabling that in the ini file will not work as you can see. It requires totally different shaders for that.
I think it's time to upgrade your 6+ years old hardware :P don't you agree? :)

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Good evening, Helifax. Thanks a lot for the answer!
helifax wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 am You do realise that 90 FPS in 3D = 180 FPS in 2D and on top of that you also use SteamVR + Oculus Runtime which puts an extra 14-20% stress on the GPU.... I am not sure what exactly you expect :lol:
Haha. Fair enough! :lol: Actually, what confused me, is that game itself says it is running at 90 FPS :roll:

Speaking about having the power to run the game smoothly - does the Streaming Graphics Quality setting in Virtual Desktop affect the speed in VK3DVision context? Which option would you recommend?

Thanks a lot! :geek:
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 pm Good evening, Helifax. Thanks a lot for the answer!
helifax wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 am You do realise that 90 FPS in 3D = 180 FPS in 2D and on top of that you also use SteamVR + Oculus Runtime which puts an extra 14-20% stress on the GPU.... I am not sure what exactly you expect :lol:
Haha. Fair enough! :lol: Actually, what confused me, is that game itself says it is running at 90 FPS :roll:

Speaking about having the power to run the game smoothly - does the Streaming Graphics Quality setting in Virtual Desktop affect the speed in VK3DVision context? Which option would you recommend?

Thanks a lot! :geek:
The overlay specifies 90 frames correctly :) but as you see in 3D and have 2 eyes that means 90 frames for both eyes = 180 frames in total ;) aka 180 FPS in plain 2D where you only have 1 eye :D
I am not that familiar with Virtual Desktop tbh, so I can't recommend anything there :) I normally use the Link Cable on the Quest 2 or Airlink (but my router is not that great, but it works ^_^).
Ideally you would want to leave some GPU compute for the VR compositor to be able to present the frames when requested ;)
In OpenVR Cinema, Vk3DVision presents the frames async, meaning the game doesn't wait on VR Compositor to present. This is to allow the game to run at 30 FPS for example but to have 90 FPS in SteamVR ;)

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Once again, thanks for the comprehensive answer, Helifax! 🙇‍♂️
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Good day, Helifax!
I have just one issue remaining. It is just an annoyance, but hopefully could be fixed. 🤞

When I launch the Doom Eternal it starts on the main display, VK3DVision correctly reports that OpenVR is used for rendering. However, in Quest 2 I only see SteamVR environment (mountains and lines) with the "Waiting" message at the center which never completes. I need to close and relaunch the game. This morning it took me 4 tries to finally get in. 🤷‍♂️

I play via Virtual Desktop on Quest 2. The launch procedure is:
- Put on Quest 2 and start Virtual Desktop.
- Launch VK3DVision shortcut on the desktop (from within HMD).
- Launch Doom Eternal shortcut on the desktop (from within HMD).
- Kick some monster a$$es if I get in. 😅

I have tried to launch the game from SteamVR library and from the Steam tray icon, but it doesn't do any difference.
Anything I can do to fix this issue? Thanks! 🙇‍♂️

P.S. Playing Doom Eternal in glorious Stereo 3D on Nightmare difficultly and somehow doing better, than I did previously in flat version 🤔 I wonder if that is because of the HUGE screen or what... 😅😈
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 am Good day, Helifax!
I have just one issue remaining. It is just an annoyance, but hopefully could be fixed. 🤞

When I launch the Doom Eternal it starts on the main display, VK3DVision correctly reports that OpenVR is used for rendering. However, in Quest 2 I only see SteamVR environment (mountains and lines) with the "Waiting" message at the center which never completes. I need to close and relaunch the game. This morning it took me 4 tries to finally get in. 🤷‍♂️

I play via Virtual Desktop on Quest 2. The launch procedure is:
- Put on Quest 2 and start Virtual Desktop.
- Launch VK3DVision shortcut on the desktop (from within HMD).
- Launch Doom Eternal shortcut on the desktop (from within HMD).
- Kick some monster a$$es if I get in. 😅

I have tried to launch the game from SteamVR library and from the Steam tray icon, but it doesn't do any difference.
Anything I can do to fix this issue? Thanks! 🙇‍♂️

P.S. Playing Doom Eternal in glorious Stereo 3D on Nightmare difficultly and somehow doing better, than I did previously in flat version 🤔 I wonder if that is because of the HUGE screen or what... 😅😈
Not sure what the problem is there but I suspect Virtual Desktop.
If you use the Link does it do the same? I've never seen this behaviour before.

Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Thanks, Helifax!

I've tried AirLink yesterday, and you are right - the game starts just fine that way.
However, the overall performance (and image quality) is much worse via AirLink 🤔 Therefore, regardless of the minor issues I will stick to VD for the time being 🤓

Have a great day! 😊
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Serzhas wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:07 am Thanks, Helifax!

I've tried AirLink yesterday, and you are right - the game starts just fine that way.
However, the overall performance (and image quality) is much worse via AirLink 🤔 Therefore, regardless of the minor issues I will stick to VD for the time being 🤓

Have a great day! 😊
What about Link Cable? That should be the best of all. You should get better performance, less compression artefacts etc that way.

mikulik86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikulik86 »

helifax wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 am I think it's time to upgrade your 6+ years old hardware :P don't you agree? :)
I'd like nothing more 😁 but currently it's not possible. At least now it is clear to me what was wrong.
Too bad, that there is no compatibility. Would you consider making available last Pascal-compatible version of the fix for those of us who are unfortunate and stuck with 10-series?
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Hi all,

Not sure that you saw it or not yet, but version 4.19.19 has been released as well as all the game fixes updated

What this version does:
- It uses "Profiles" now (kinda like CMU).
- There is a "Profile" folder next to Vk3DVision.exe. In this folder you can copy the game fixes.
- No need to copy folders & files inside the game folder next to the executable.
- I haven't tested it with UWP apps, but maybe it might work??! Not sure.
- I added a Time Debugger and Automatic Sync for Sequential Frames (This is useful in finding the assembly code that calls into time functions and advances the world time. In some games it can be used as it is, in other a FrameSync module is still required :).
- Refactored quite a big chunk of the VR part of Vk3DVision. For VR Theatre Mode this will not make a difference, but for custom VR mods this was necessary (for my upcoming Wolfenstein II VR mod ^_^).

Like always, it's available here:
http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVision.html
http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVisionGames.html

When upgrading, it's better to delete the Vk3DVision folder inside the game, and simply download the new fix and put it in the "Profile" folder next to where VK3DVision.exe lives :)

Cheers!

john105
Cross Eyed!

Post by john105 »

helifax wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 am Pascal is not supported.
That message is there for a reason btw... The issues you are encountering is because of unsupported hardware.
This is a SFS fix only... disabling that in the ini file will not work as you can see. It requires totally different shaders for that.
Helifax, first thank you for the fantastic job with Vk3DVision! :woot I just wanted to ask you to keep at least your old fixes that still supported Pascal available if possible. I still use the GTX 1080 Ti. I can afford to upgrade to the latest GPU, but I won't do it because I still want to be able to play DX11 games in 3D Vision. Another alternative would be upgrading to the RTX 2080 Ti of course (if it's still possible to find one), but its performance advantage over the GTX 1080 Ti is too small to justify it. An additional reason for not upgrading is I would hate to give more money to NVIDIA after what they did to 3D Vision ;) I hope the reasons why I won't upgrade make sense to you.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

john105 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:33 am
helifax wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 am Pascal is not supported.
Helifax, first thank you for the fantastic job with Vk3DVision! :woot I just wanted to ask you to keep at least your old fixes that still supported Pascal available if possible. I still use the GTX 1080 Ti. I can afford to upgrade to the latest GPU, but I won't do it because I still want to be able to play DX11 games in 3D Vision. Another alternative would be upgrading to the RTX 2080 Ti of course (if it's still possible to find one), but its performance advantage over the GTX 1080 Ti is too small to justify it. An additional reason for not upgrading is I would hate to give more money to NVIDIA after what they did to 3D Vision ;) I hope the reasons why I won't upgrade make sense to you.
I totally understand and I agree!
All the "normal" game fixes that work with older GPUs (like Pascal) are still available: http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVisionGames.html (except Doom Eternal, because they broke the old fix and I had to redo it under the "updated format").

I mentioned this before, but the new SFS (Single-Frame-Stereo) method uses specific architecture features that are not available on older architectures (before Turing) and hence why it does not work! It's not that I don't want it to work, it's simply because the Nvidia driver doesn't supports them ^_^.
At some point, when ID stops updating the renderer in Doom Eternal, I do plan to revisit it and make a non-SFS (using Sequential Frame Rendering + FrameSync) for Doom Eternal as well :) (But that is basically a new fix... which I have to do ^_^).

Hope you understand :)

Cheers,
Helifax

john105
Cross Eyed!

Post by john105 »

helifax wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:31 pm I totally understand and I agree!
All the "normal" game fixes that work with older GPUs (like Pascal) are still available: http://3dsurroundgaming.com/Vk3DVisionGames.html (except Doom Eternal, because they broke the old fix and I had to redo it under the "updated format").

I mentioned this before, but the new SFS (Single-Frame-Stereo) method uses specific architecture features that are not available on older architectures (before Turing) and hence why it does not work! It's not that I don't want it to work, it's simply because the Nvidia driver doesn't supports them ^_^.
At some point, when ID stops updating the renderer in Doom Eternal, I do plan to revisit it and make a non-SFS (using Sequential Frame Rendering + FrameSync) for Doom Eternal as well :) (But that is basically a new fix... which I have to do ^_^).

Hope you understand :)

Cheers,
Helifax
Thanks, Helifax! Yes, I understand that what you did with Vk3DVision wasn't ever done before by anyone and a lot is based on the latest technologies and driver features, so some things are just not very backward compatible.

I wouldn't even dare to ask you to do separate fixes for pre-Turing GPUs because you already did too much for us as it is now. I would be happy with just keeping whatever is Pascal compatible now available for download in the future. For example, even if an old fix is only compatible with an old version of a game, it might still be useful because either Steam might allow to roll back to a specific patch version or it can be done manually by messing with game files a bit in some cases :) But if you're willing to make new Pascal compatible fixes in some cases, that would be even more awesome! :woot
mikulik86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikulik86 »

helifax wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:31 pm At some point, when ID stops updating the renderer in Doom Eternal, I do plan to revisit it and make a non-SFS (using Sequential Frame Rendering + FrameSync) for Doom Eternal as well :) (But that is basically a new fix... which I have to do ^_^).
I would have also settled for any Pascal-compatible fix, but this is totally awesome :woot ! Thank you so much!! You are really a hero ;)

For now I'm gonna just borrow a GPU to finish the game :D
Baker1212
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Baker1212 »

Do the vulkan 3d fixes work properly if installed with 3d fix manager? I do see the option there for the Wolfenstein games.
mikulik86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mikulik86 »

So I got me a RTX 3070, reinstalled everything, followed instructions to the letter and still have the right-eye stuttering 😤

Now I'm totally desperate. What could be wrong? Helifax, please HELP! :cry: :cry:

EDIT: Alt+Enter works for me too!! :D :D Thx Lysander!
With the latest Fix DOOM E. looks absolutely awesome :woot :woot :woot Congrats Helifax, great job!
Last edited by mikulik86 on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Helifax, there's an issue in the level Cultist Base - there are black blocks (like large pixels, I guess that's called clipping?) in multiple places around the screen. This is on 5.11.65, with the default .ini (so no convergence/separation changes). This is right at the beginning of the level when you get into the open area with a jump pad in the middle.

Unfortunately, I cannot show a screenshot because for some reason I currently can't take screenshots in D:E.

On another note, driver 5.11.65 seems to give A LOT more performance in this game than 452.06. On 5.11 I am able to run at constant 60 on Ultra Nightmare, whereas on 452 I had to lower a few settings to LOW because it was going down to even high 40s.

Also, my issue from a few pages back where the stereo wasn't rendering and the right eye was dimmed is resolved but in a strange way - I have to hit Alt+Enter a few times when the game starts until it finally switches into proper stereo. Sometimes during this process the game freezes, so I have to redo it. Don't know why this happens, I've DDU'd to a clean state, got the new vk3dv, left everything at default. Anyway, not a big deal since I have a workaround, but just capturing it here.

thx
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
zendiego
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zendiego »

john105 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:36 pm ...
it might still be useful because either Steam might allow to roll back to a specific patch version
Steam does allow rollbacks through the steam API and there is an open source utility called Depot Downloader to do the job. I play with an older version of D.E. and vulkan driver since at some point I could not resolve the issues with the newer vulkan driver but it runs great so just happy to play in stereo!

By the way the newer driver works for all my other games!

Regards
Serzhas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Serzhas »

Good evening, Helifax. It's me, again 😅🙏

Recently I did extensive Doom: Eternal performance testing on both Virtual Desktop and AirLink, and found that the stutters, which I mentioned before, present in both cases.
To recap: I see jitter/stutter when I strafe left/right or if I follow the fast moving objects with my eyes, e.g. huge fan on the floor in Doom Base. Even though FPS is reported to be a stready 90 (by Doom itself, by VK3DVision and by VD Performance Overlay).
I have greatly tamed my expectations and reduced graphics quality to much humbler settings (see images below). Anyway, I have tried setting graphics quality to LOW, but it doesn't do any difference.
My router most likely could be excluded from the equation, since reducing bitrate to 10 (in VD) and lowering render resolution to an absolute minimum (in SteamVR) doesn't do any difference to stuttering.
You have mentioned that you are using AirLink yourself, and it works great for you. Maybe you will have something to suggest to me. My PC should be able to handle Doom: Eternal with the settings I'm using just fine (i7-12700KF + RTX 3080) 🤷‍♂️
Doom Eternal Settings 1.jpg
Doom Eternal Settings 2.jpg
Doom Eternal Settings 3.jpg

Also, yesterday I have found a place (the end of Cultist Base, just before the Tank Boss) where my PC was put on its knees for no apparent reason. 😄 Whenever I turn to face that pyramid to the right, FPS drops heavily. Also, there were graphical artifacts at the center of the screen (a blob with highly aliased edges), but it is not visible on the screenshot, for some reason. This issue isn't a deal breaker - asking out of plain curiosity 🤓
Doom Eternal FPS.jpg
Thanks and sorry for taking your time, again 🙌🤓

UPDATE: I have reached Super Gore Nest level, and in it, the performance issues are all around. :o I have even lowered Light and Particles quality to LOW. This improved things a bit, but still when I face certain scenery at certain angles FPS drops to 30-ish.
Super Gore Nest.jpg
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:52 pm Helifax, there's an issue in the level Cultist Base - there are black blocks (like large pixels, I guess that's called clipping?) in multiple places around the screen. This is on 5.11.65, with the default .ini (so no convergence/separation changes). This is right at the beginning of the level when you get into the open area with a jump pad in the middle.

Unfortunately, I cannot show a screenshot because for some reason I currently can't take screenshots in D:E.

On another note, driver 5.11.65 seems to give A LOT more performance in this game than 452.06. On 5.11 I am able to run at constant 60 on Ultra Nightmare, whereas on 452 I had to lower a few settings to LOW because it was going down to even high 40s.

Also, my issue from a few pages back where the stereo wasn't rendering and the right eye was dimmed is resolved but in a strange way - I have to hit Alt+Enter a few times when the game starts until it finally switches into proper stereo. Sometimes during this process the game freezes, so I have to redo it. Don't know why this happens, I've DDU'd to a clean state, got the new vk3dv, left everything at default. Anyway, not a big deal since I have a workaround, but just capturing it here.

thx
- What is driver 5.11.65 exactly? The latest version of Vk3DVision is 4.19.19 :D
- Strange about the right eye issue - it seems something prevents the game to actually enter in the correct size (3DVision requires DX9 Exclusive Fullscreen for it to work). Glad that Alt+Enter works for you though :) I never encountered this issue and I don't know how I can replicate it or why it happens.
- I am looking at the "Cultist Base level" but I didn't see any issues. What resolution are you running at? I know this issue appears on resolutions lower than 1600x900 (for some reason and I didn't get around to fix that).

helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

@Serzhas - What resolution are you using for the Quest 2 actual headset? Do you SuperSample in the Oculus app?
The problems you are seeing is due to the h264 video encoder and headset decoder keeping up with the frames.

If you are supersampling in Oculus App revert to whatever is 1x. SteamVR should be fine at 150%.
You can also try to lower the FPS target from Vk3DVision.ini (see FPSLimit). Try using 60 FPS limit instead of 90 FPS limit. (the HMD will still render at 90Hz)
I am not sure what to say here... I am running the game on RTX 2080 just fine.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”