John Carmack confirms 2nd dev kit is in the works

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: John Carmack confirms 2nd dev kit is in the works

Post by colocolo »

a futuristic design would be cool, but it shouldnt be too costy and prolong the production cycle.... :lol:
you could make a hell of a futuristic design....
comfort should be very improtant. i can imagine that the strap could be very annoying over a longer time.
Ideally the whole HMD should have as less contact with your face/head as possible.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Dilip wrote:BTW geekmaster posted (in response to my request to Palmer to keep multicolor indicator led in eye logo) that glowing oculus eye on rift does not bare any importance.
Now you can see the design chosen by Oculus !! Eye sees all,glowing one sees beyond!!
[URL REMOVED]
That website threw my virus scanner into a frenzy.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
DarkAkuma
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DarkAkuma »

TheHolyChicken wrote:That website threw my virus scanner into a frenzy.
Same.

And I thought it was some official Oculus blog I somehow magically never knew of before. I was getting annoyed I never knew of a official design contest! But it's just a blog made by some Rift fans. Kind of vaguely stated in the about page.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

TheHolyChicken wrote:That website threw my virus scanner into a frenzy.
Oh i was taken for a ride, sorry to post infected URL. so it was totally fake? No devkit given as price? No Oculus involved? Nothing?

There was hardly any thing suggesting page to be a fishy. in fact i was little sad that i missed out opportunity to participate. i bump in to this page few days back while searching for consumer model likely designs courtesy Google. beside i found posting of BOLL stating on that page he missed opportunity to participate due his time restrictions.

@cyber
I feel sad you removed entire URL (Though,i know its must in interest of all). how about filtering for virus then allowing those render images at least to be posted on this page for FUN?
it was gem of hard work some one did and like to see rift turn out to be some thing like that in future :P 8-)

I think WQHD (2560X1440) should be targeted at 5.5" for consumer version V1 as it can give right bland of balance to Quality +PPI +Processing sufficiency of moderate gaming rig.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Sorry. If a link looks like it has malware or if it's some sort of scam, I am going to remove it from the forum.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

Dilip wrote: I think WQHD (2560X1440) should be targeted at 5.5" for consumer version V1 as it can give right bland of balance to Quality +PPI +Processing sufficiency of moderate gaming rig.
To run BF3 and Bioshock Infinite on that resolution at high quality @60 fps, you need at least a GTX 780 which is $750 (or twice that depending on the country).
To run Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Metro , Far Cry 3 and some other more demanding games, you need 2x GTX 780 sli.

I seriously doubt most people will have that kind of power in 2014. If they released OR with that resolution then, what would happen is many oblivious consumers will complain that the OR sucks, because their computers with their pricey $250 GPU's would not be giving them the MUCH needed minimum 60 frames per second to provide a pleasant VR experience.

Wanting or not, the vast majority of gamers have cards in the 560, 660 and 760 range (or AMD equivalent). I would give it another 2 or 3 years (2015/2016) before 2560x1440 becomes mainstream enough to justify a consumer version at that resolution. I definitely see V2 coming with that.

Right now, the people at Oculus are way more concerned in reducing latency and motion blur, and improving the tracking in order to give everyone a better experience with little or no sim-sickness.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

oouh, where do you live? in germany a 780 costs around 430€.
here is a nice reference for Battlefield 4 at Ultra details and 1440p.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ba ... ark,8.html
A 290 costs like 330€. Best price/performance ratio for 2560 VR would be probably two 280X(2x240€)
So yeah, you would need a decent rig. for around 800€ in total. Not mainstream. But also not a niche.
for V2 i expect a 4k version. the folks at Oculus seem to very confident about future displays as you noticed in some recent
interviews.
Thats why i am waiting for coming graphic chip gen in Q1 2014. there needs to be a card that could run Star Wars Battlefront
or Crysis 4 at 4k SBS in SLI configuration and without problems. (also dont forget that there will be 15 mantle games)
Buying at first one and two years later the next high end card for SLI config would do the trick here as Oculus V1 will be probably 1080p.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Alejux wrote:
Dilip wrote: I think WQHD (2560X1440) should be targeted at 5.5" for consumer version V1 as it can give right bland of balance to Quality +PPI +Processing sufficiency of moderate gaming rig.
To run BF3 and Bioshock Infinite on that resolution at high quality @60 fps, you need at least a GTX 780 which is $750 (or twice that depending on the country).
To run Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Metro , Far Cry 3 and some other more demanding games, you need 2x GTX 780 sli.
I have gtx660 and core I 5 rig and I can play tombraider2013 in 1920x1080 on my lgd2342p in 3d so basically my rig is
already rendering 1920x1080 twice and I don't find Ny leg how will it different at 2560x1440 in rift basically lower like 1280x1440x2 which won't be less then what my system already does
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

Dilip wrote:
Alejux wrote:
I have gtx660 and core I 5 rig and I can play tombraider2013 in 1920x1080 on my lgd2342p in 3d so basically my rig is
already rendering 1920x1080 twice and I don't find Ny leg how will it different at 2560x1440 in rift basically lower like 1280x1440x2 which won't be less then what my system already does
Are you saying you render Tomb Raider at 120hz (60fps per eye) ?

Reading the "official" benchmarks, I see the GTX 660 with an average framerate of 45, minimum of 32 on Tombraider @2560x1440 high settings, and 21/12 on ultra settings. I fail to see how your machine could handle a steady 60 fps at 2560x1440.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Don't discount newer rendering pipelines and techniques to assist with maintaining high frame rates. One of the things that Carmack has been spearheading is R&D into specialized rendering pathways for the Rift. In the near future you will likely see SDK support and samples which may lower system requirements a bit.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

brantlew wrote:Don't discount newer rendering pipelines and techniques to assist with maintaining high frame rates. One of the things that Carmack has been spearheading is R&D into specialized rendering pathways for the Rift. In the near future you will likely see SDK support and samples which may lower system requirements a bit.
I keep hearing so many promising tiny tidbits of information here and there about what you guys and VALVe are up to. Am starving for info here, I wish you folks wouldn't be so damned tight-lipped!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I was curious about what kind of GPU current gamers (casual or hardcore) actually used, so I've made a little spreadsheet from the information available in the Steam Hardware & Software Survey: October 2013 and Videocard Benchmarks :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

I've got a GTX 460 which is quite old (but was probably the best GPU for $200 in 2010) and I wondered how it fared among Steam players :
- 80% of Steam users have a less powerful (or unidentified) GPU (Passmark < 2500) ;
- 20% of Steam users have a similar or better GPU (Passmark > 2500) ;
- 12% of Steam users have what I consider to be a recent GPU (Passmark > 4000).

I think it would be interesting to see how it did evolve in the past years to get an idea about what GPU power to target for Q3/Q4 2014.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
brantlew wrote:Don't discount newer rendering pipelines and techniques to assist with maintaining high frame rates. One of the things that Carmack has been spearheading is R&D into specialized rendering pathways for the Rift. In the near future you will likely see SDK support and samples which may lower system requirements a bit.
I keep hearing so many promising tiny tidbits of information here and there about what you guys and VALVe are up to. Am starving for info here, I wish you folks wouldn't be so damned tight-lipped!
We wish we could talk about it as well.

PS. It was super fun to info-vomit all over FingerFlinger a few weeks ago when he finally came under NDA. Much draw-dropping ensued.... ;)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Alejux wrote: Are you saying you render Tomb Raider at 120hz (60fps per eye) ?
Nope, i m not saying Tomb Raider at 120hz (60fps per eye)

you can refrer my post i said on my "lgd2342p" in 3d,
its a passive 3d monitor it doesn't support 120Hz to begin with. but then it won't require those bulky and cranky flickery Nvidia galsses too.

My TR2013 Settings are

Vsyc=On
Refresh Rate=60Hz
Resolution=1920X1080
Texure=Ultra
PostProcessing=On
HighPrecision=On
Tessleation=On
Anistropic =8X
Antialising = Off
Shadows = Normal
Shadow resoltion = low
Level of Detail=ultra
Hair Quality = Normal (Tress Fx not supported in geomatry 3D mode in my DDD Drivers as of Now)
Reflections = Normal
Depth of Field = Off (Sensless in 3D i don't like, my pref kept off)
SSAO = Off (It helps)

These are custom settings and 1920X1080 Resolution at 60Hz i am getting 50/55 FPs in "3D" with TriDef3D 5.8 which are Good and OK for me. even if i get texure only from ultra to one step down high frame rate goes to 65FPs.

Thing i wanted to express is my system already generating 2 Individual frame of 1920X1080 (ie Left and Right eye) while as i suggested for rift 2560X1440 SBS mode it require to generate 2 individual frames of 1280X1440 (lesser pixels) so it will be easier on GPU then what my rig handles at present
Alejux wrote: Reading the "official" benchmarks, I see the GTX 660 with an average frame rate of 45, minimum of 32 on Tombraider @2560x1440 high settings. and 21/12 on ultra settings.
You are looking at picture from wrong end it won't be single 2560X1440 frame in your rift but two 1280X1440 frames in SBS mode. effective resolution is "1280X1440+Depth" only.
Alejux wrote: I fail to see how your machine could handle a steady 60 fps at 2560x1440.
No its not doing it and it really won't require to do that too. 60fps and 60Hz, 120Hz and 60Hz each eye with 'field-sequential/page flip' drivers all are different things.You have jumbled many facts & linking wrong way to come to a conclusion.

Let me give you a nice example

A .Do you know hardware of PS3?
B. Do you know Sony HMD HMZ-T1?

PS3 has ages old RSX GPU which is literally a 7900GT at 550MHz with 8 ROPs disabled and makes use of 256 MB GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz with an effective transmission rate of 1.4 GHz still can play games like GOD of WAR 3 and KILLZONE2012 and CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2 in 2560X720 on HMZ-T1 which has twin displays of 1280X720 without any hitch

Now you want to tell me that my GTX660 clocked 1046 MHz with card studded 2GB GDDR5 Ram having bandwidhth of 142Gb/s and Cpu like Core-i-5 2400 @3.1Gz with system ram of corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Hhz(working at 1333 due to processor handling limit) can not do 2560X1440 on rift screen which is "1280X1440 in SBS" come on pal.

Its how you tune your game remove all those bullshit SSAO, High Resolution shadows and Advance Shadows poop and your 3D requirement will be half. What do you think how game like "Call of Duty Black Ops2" can play in 3D on PS3 in 2560X720 (1280X720X2 on Hmz-T1). just tweak your game don't throw out dollars unless yours are EASY EARNED or GOT FORM DADDY.

Its all how developer wants to build their games and putting unnecessary LoD and push you to emptying your pockets by investing in things like GTX690.

One nice example is DREGON AGE ORIGINS i could play that game in 1280X720 in STEREO 3D with my on bord CORE-I-5 2400 on die GPU at 30 FPS in normal display quality with tridef 3D drivers on my LG 3D monitor at 60Hz. i know it wasn't magnificent or 1920X1080 but still i was playing it in 3d with on board GPU (Intel HD 2000 at 850Mhz base 1.1Ghz Dynamic freq) without investing a penny in graphics card.

I Still fully back my opinion Consumer V1 should be least 2560X1440.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

people tend to compare benchmarks only at ULTRA. i have only a hd 6850 2GB and a phenom II x4 635.
Yesterday i tried Crysis 3 with SBS 1080p, V-sync on, high res textures and got at low details (which still looks surprisingly good)
60 FPS. Turning AA off makes a huge difference, though i wonder how it would look in VR. :?
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

Rendering the image(s) is only part of what a game is doing every frame. If a game renders at 60 fps on machine A and at 120 fps on machine B, then machine B is possibly (depending on the software) updating various logic and computational models, e.g. producing physics calculations, reading player input, determining player positiion, advancing animation, updating artificial intelligence algorithms, re-rendering sub-shaders, etc. twice as much as machine A.

If machine A is rendering 3D 60 fps and machine B is rendering 2D 120 fps- machine A is not doubling up on any of the game logic calculations, but machine B is doubling up on at least some of them, depending on how the game code is written.

Rendering 3D at 60fps is not equivalent to rendering 2D at 120fps. QED.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

xhonzi wrote:
Rendering 3D at 60fps is not equivalent to rendering 2D at 120fps. QED.
I never said it was 120fps. But for a 120hz 3D display, it would mean optimum display locked 60fps for each eye. Same frame (geometry, light maps, etc...), but from a different viewport.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

brantlew wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:
We wish we could talk about it as well.

PS. It was super fun to info-vomit all over FingerFlinger a few weeks ago when he finally came under NDA. Much draw-dropping ensued.... ;)
That was SO fun! It's definitely weird being on the other side of the speculation now.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Could I please sign some NDAs as well? I'm totally serious. I'm security cleared and trusted with Ministry of Defense secret data, am totally trustworthy. I'll even mail you guys donuts as thanks - how's THAT for a good deal.

...worth a try, right? :roll:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Haha, had the same thought myself : )
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Could I please sign some NDAs as well? I'm totally serious. I'm security cleared and trusted with Ministry of Defense secret data, am totally trustworthy. I'll even mail you guys donuts as thanks - how's THAT for a good deal.

...worth a try, right?
Could I please sign some NDAs as well? I'm totally serious. I'm security cleared and trusted with Ministry of Defense secret data, am totally trustworthy. I'll even mail you guys donuts as thanks - how's THAT for a good deal.

...worth a try, right? :roll:
+1,Mee too wish to sign NDAs.
Thats grand offer if its anywhere existing or still in effect.Atleast half of MTBS members would join it with immideate effect if offered is beyond doubt. :)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I don't trust you guys to keep secrets...

Besides, it's a lot more fun speculating!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I can certainly confirm that knowing nothing and wildly speculating is a lot more fun than knowing everything and not being able to speak a word.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

True! a "Speculation" wisely thought out and studied with all available options and blended with precise search and calculating probability may land anywhere near to what’s going to "Come out" and yes its lots of fun.. ;)
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

cybereality wrote:I can certainly confirm that knowing nothing and wildly speculating is a lot more fun than knowing everything and not being able to speak a word.
lol very good
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

I guess I'd have to stop correcting people on reddit if I was under NDA - right now I can correct stupid theories and shoot down terrible articles, helping prevent the spread of crappy information, while being pretty certain I know what's up behind the closed doors. And seeing how as I'm THIS guy:
http://xkcd.com/386/

that might be hard to deal with :lol:
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

TheHolyChicken wrote:I guess I'd have to stop correcting people on reddit if I was under NDA - right now I can correct stupid theories and shoot down terrible articles, helping prevent the spread of crappy information, while being pretty certain I know what's up behind the closed doors. And seeing how as I'm THIS guy:
http://xkcd.com/386/

that might be hard to deal with :lol:
Makes no difference. There's a member or two around here that constantly tells Palmer that he's wrong.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Qualcomm's Snapdragon 805 D3D-11 Class SoC is out

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7537/qual ... phics-more

Mobile market is riding uptide sure there will be Meaty Mighty System On Chip in market by the time RiFt consumer will be out.it expands opportunities for self sufficent rift be it V1 or V2.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33106 ... -lte-modem
expected to be sold in Q1 and features Kepler architecture.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

I think the biggest problem for the Oculus team is when to settle for a screen, since almost every month there are better screens announced.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

skyrimer wrote:I think the biggest problem for the Oculus team is when to settle for a screen, since almost every month there are better screens announced.
I would really hope that Oculus's reputation would be helping them with that issue, by now..
I mean, with how many DKs are out there, something like 50,000 or nearing 90k by other estimates, it's getting harder and harder to believe these Screen Companies don't see the potential for cornering a new gaming/device market..
It shows how much demand there is for the Rift/VR, when JUST the prototype/developer-kit is selling in numbers like that. When the consumer version rolls around, think of how many more people will be likely to get it. Whatever screen company partners with Oculus first, wont simply be making a profit from how many Rifts sell, they'll also have their foot in the door, with future such devices. And all they have to do, is make Oculus a screen that meets their performance stats, in large enough numbers. :/ Heck, whatever company we're talking about is probably already making a suitable screen for some tablet or something.. They just gotta promise to make extra for Oculus.. lol

I just hope Oculus is still planning on 2014, and has made a deal with some screen company by now, or soon.. I wanna start being teased and hyped for the consumer launch, like how the beginning of this year was with the Dev Kit. I really wanna see how the consumer model will look, and start hearing about real features. heh
Mawnee
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mawnee »

colocolo wrote:people tend to compare benchmarks only at ULTRA.
^This! Dont gimp the hardware for everyone else just because the midrange people will have to turn down some settings. I detest that game developers do this as well.

As an enthusiast I always have a powerful computer and look forward to games and hardware to push it. I'm used to playing games maxxed across triple monitors (5760x1080), so the low resolution and screen door effect of my Oculus bothers me more than most. I love it and appreciate what it can become in the future, but hope that its the NEAR future. A 1080 rift will only be slightly less dissappointing than the 720. It still wont be enough to produce the realistic, immersive VR experience we are all looking forward to.

The other side of this is I dont want to have to buy a new HMD every 9 months while they slowly release slightly higher res versions and catch up to technology. We do that with enough PC parts as it is. Expensive monitors are usually a longer term investment. The upgrade needs to be a significant one that will be satisfying for a couple of years. Producing a 1440 or 4k retail version right from the get go makes more sense. So what if we have to turn off some AA or lower texture resolutions until GPUs catch up. Its better than having to buy a New GPU AND new HMD every year. Not to mention it saves the OR team having to retool the production line every year. Go big right from the beginning, then simply bring the price down as production costs fall. Those with weak computers can just buy the leftover lower res Dev kits at a discount.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Mawnee wrote: A 1080 rift will only be slightly less disappointing than the 720. It still wont be enough to produce the realistic, immersive VR experience we are all looking forward to.
Is exactly what i believe too. Ideally it should be at least 2560X1440 so that more pixel packed per inch could get rich picture without taxing much on processing power still look good enough to feel as real upgrade from DK along with low latency in less motion blur.

Another way is release 1080P but reduce magnification power so that summation end at more pixel per inch that 2560X1440 would show at current magnification (i know, most people won't like that!)
Mawnee wrote: The other side of this is I don’t want to have to buy a new HMD every 9 months while they slowly release slightly higher res versions and catch up to technology. We do that with enough PC parts as it is.
Thats exactly word to word same what i posted long ago. we like rift which remain in "Trend" atleast for 1.5~2 Year that can get feeling of good investment for not so brief period.

Mawnee wrote: Expensive monitors are usually a longer term investment. The upgrade needs to be a significant one that will be satisfying for a couple of years. Producing a 1440 or 4k retail version right from the get go makes more sense.
I won't say 4K as its little more taxing yes. but i too do believe in 2560X1440

Mawnee wrote: So what if we have to turn off some AA or lower texture resolutions until GPUs catch up. Its better than having to buy a New GPU AND new HMD every year. Not to mention it saves the OR team having to retool the production line every year. Go big right from the beginning, then simply bring the price down as production costs fall.

That’s right path to begin..
Mawnee wrote: Those with weak computers can just buy the leftover lower res Dev kits at a discount.
I don't think there will be any considerable number of remaining DK till they release consumer version.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

cybereality wrote:I can certainly confirm that knowing nothing and wildly speculating is a lot more fun than knowing everything and not being able to speak a word.
Hence the essence of reality, as humans know it. Stopping at 'cogito ergo sum', is a bit foolish, as there is many more a 'door of perception' beyond that.

Science and academia has stopped at the first doorway to opening and tried to create a false reality before the theme park, never bothering to go in and investigate. Yet, that false front seems to be enough of a fabrication to amuse most of the world's inhabitants. The ultimate grouping of unaware self imposed willfully ignorant snake oil salesmen, catering to the blind desires of self and others. Sadly they cast that label at others who try to alert them to their self deception. Which is not unusual, as the criminal tends to think and see all others as criminals, limited by their own projections. Science and academia can be no less, just more grand of a grouping, with the walls of the cave a bit more intricate and further away in the mists.

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.- Aldous Huxley

Which takes you to Plato's allegory of the cave.

Thus, when you slap the prisoners about (in the head and face, with words) they become agitated and lift from their chains enough to scold (or ridicule/attack you) for trying to illustrate to them that they are exactly as stated. Chained to a wall, looking at shadows on a cave wall as the representation of reality, limited only by themselves. (eg, just in the one single parameter...a recent study on the data collection of human eyesight shows we really do 'see everything'...but self editorialize)

Which means that people running to VR is like some form of twisting the knife in on themselves, tightening their own chains, or using it as a tool to understand and transgress and transcend (self reflect and consider) their own self imposed limitations. A bigger coin to spend, a larger crowbar, if you will. Depends on the mind and logic of the individual involved. A more intricate prison, or a door? Depends.

A philosophical shake up and shakedown, if you will...to really see, individually... who is who and what is what.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@KBK, your valuable input is still desired..@ http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18750
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

I don't think any serious developer could ever be confused about what Carmack said. Heck you don't even have to be a developer but just follow OR development to know how long it takes to perfect different aspects like latency, software etc. As for general public, before dev kit was out they kept saying in the comments that Oculus Rift will be BS, lame, like having a screen attached to your face, worse than 3d glasses etc, so no love from me there - let them be confused ;)

I don't see the reason for any rush. I predicted Rift will be out by 2015, when people said something about Dev kit 2 coming out next month, and retail coming by Christmas 2013 ;)
I have Dev kit one and at the moment it's the best thing out there. This is what I've been waiting for. Seriously no comparison with Emagin and such. I think we should really appreciate it, rather than push Palmer and Oculus team to release something. There is no delay, as there was no date announced in the first place. If someone wants VR now, I suggest purchasing Dev Kit :)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Serving half cooked dish brings shame to chef, there is no question of Palmer and Oculus team to release anything that is not ready as per their own perception standards.
I am sure those even not be as high and harsh as general public. As general public have tendency to immediately say new stuff crap without taking hassle to properly calibrate the product and read the instruction manual before operating.(All tries to be james bond driving super modified aston martin without reading mannual):lol:
Though there is factor of time too. Team oculus must not rush out unfinished product is hardcore truth, but equal truth is they also should not take too long to release product that people forget the hype that built around it. The longer they take to release the higher the risk of entering more capable player who may rip crop before they enter the field that’s worst thing that can happen.
Purchasing developer kit to enjoy VR as consumer is biggest disaster one would make, if that purchase followed by "Consumer Version of RIFT" release in next few months. that’s worst thing to suggest to any consumer in DEC 13. I would suggest wait crossing figures and enjoy HD Rift demonstrations in expo if you could attend one near by your living place..
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

I think it would be interesting if the consumer rift had a cartridge slot in the top. If the user wanted to take the rift mobile, they could insert an android cartridge that had the processor, battery, bluetooth, wireless, etc inside it. It would add a little weight to the headset but only when being mobile is desired, a fair trade-off. Maybe you wouldn't upgrade your rift headset every year, but you could upgrade the android cartridge for a better mobile experience annually or semi-annually.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

SartreFan wrote:I think it would be interesting if the consumer rift had a cartridge slot in the top. If the user wanted to take the rift mobile, they could insert an android cartridge that had the processor, battery, Bluetooth, wireless, etc inside it. It would add a little weight to the headset but only when being mobile is desired, a fair trade-off. Maybe you wouldn't upgrade your rift headset every year, but you could upgrade the android cartridge for a better mobile experience annually or semi-annually.
My friend why you want to put that cartridge weight on your face. you know current DK and most probably consumer version also going to get BASE STATION. put android flavored base station as optional product and offer it as an incremental upgrade

There can be Two flavors for base station at consumer release

1) Vanilla base having all slandered inputs and one rift out put + Slot for Li-ion or Li-poly battery
2) Android base having Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800 or any powerful SOC+ 2GB Ram + Li-ion / Li-Poly battery

OC can release upgraded SoC bases as tech developes.
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

I really don't feel the cartridge would add a significant amount of weight. Plus the option to have a headset that is completely self-contained compared to having a tethered box that you have to attach to yourself for a consumer device would be a no brainer. The cartridge would essentially be an android phone. Without the screen and with making the cartridge case as light as possible I feel it wouldn't add a terrible amount of weight to the headset

Return to “Oculus VR”