2D cameras to 3D monitor

Monthlymusic
One Eyed Hopeful

2D cameras to 3D monitor

Post by Monthlymusic »

Hi all, I'm building up a a stereoscopic vision system but I'm new to this world so I need some advice.
What I'm thinking of is to use a couple of cameras with S-video/USB output, connect them to a PC, use Stereoscopic Multiplexer software to combine the double stream in a side by side format and view it on a 3D monitor through a DVI connector (I've got a Panasonic EJ-MDA32).
But..
I've recently discovered the term "genlocking", and unfortunately Stereoscopic Multiplexer does not replace genlocking or other means of hardware synchronization. It searches for left and right frames with minimum time offset, but cannot eliminate the remaining mis-sync.
For DV-Camcorders featuring a LANC port (Sony, Canon), dual camera remote controls are the easiest way to obtain almost perfect synchronization, but those devices are expensive and bulky.
Can you help me with a cheap solution?
What about SoftGenLock for Linux OS?

Thanks.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 2D cameras to 3D monitor

Post by Fredz »

I don't think there is any cheap solution besides real 3D cameras.

SoftGenLock on Linux is only useful for the synchronization of the rendering on two or more displays (or with 3D glasses), not for video capture from different sources.

You can also read this great article about a similar quest for camera synchronization :
http://www.airpano.com/Articles-AirPano ... language=2

Their conclusion about the synchronization problem :
The problem is almost insoluble at amateur level. And we just accepted that situation.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”