UtopiaVR - A vision of things to come

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

UtopiaVR - A vision of things to come

Post by yuriythebest »

Indeed, we are in the age of great tumult, supreme changes are taking hold.
As we speak, the Oculus Rift is nearing production, promising immersive 3D at such a quality and price that was previously unheard of in the consumer market.
Alas, there is one weak point in all of this, that I as but a humble observer dare do point out.

THE PROBLEM WITH VR:
The software support: currently, to add support one must specifically modify your program/game to support the Oculus Rift. Even with the provided tools for Unity3D and Unreal Engines, the following factors give me cause for severe lamentation:
1. To add Oculus Rift support - a single piece of hardware, each game has to be modified.
2. Previous experience seeing how game companies were reluctant to make sure that their games worked well in the (much simpler) Stereoscopic 3D (for 3d monitors - iz3d/tridef/nvidia)
3. The life-cycle of the Oculus or indeed for the entire company

So, say I am an average game company - this means I have a limited budged. Would I devote resources (developer time) on adding a feature that will be seen by an extreme minority that owns a single product? In most cases I would rather spend it on additional testing/ quality assurance or something practical like that

The Solution:
What if, instead of there being proprietary in-built support in each game for a specific piece of VR hardware, we "almost" had the same thing - We'd have a plugin for Unity3D and other engines, but it would be open source/non proprietary! HOW CRAZY IS THAT! One might at first wonder why on earth someone with his VR solution would elect such generosity, but now, say there are 10 different VR solutions with different capibilities/features - instead of each having to be added separately to a game, it can all "Just Work" - the same way we now don't need games to be specifically made for different /graphics adapters/3D displays - but that was not always the case. Game Devs will now see this as a much better reason to spend additional time on VR since the process of adding the aforementioned functionality would not be greatly lengthened.

The Vision

SINGLE OPEN PLUGIN/STANDARD - MULTIPLE VR+HAPTICS SOLUTIONS

A future, where a developer opens Unity3D or another game dev environment, imports a single plugin, adds it to the camera of the thing that the player controls, configures it, and voila!!
Indeed, it must not be limited to just HMD's - A SINGLE plugin, that supports open HMD and Haptics is needed to achieve full immersion.
I want a future where I can import a single thing, and specify that in this particular game, I want the player to be able to look around, and (if the hardware exists for the end user) for the "hand with the gun" to be decoupled from Camera Look (as in, you'd move the gun with Haptics (your actual arm) and your head with your actual head.
Otherwise, small "innovators" will come and go, but support will be far from constant. Indeed, it is only with the help of a centralizing influence, like MTBS, that a true new VR standard (UtopiaVR) can take hold. And thus ends my epistle to the stereoscopers.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: UtopiaVR - A vision of things to come

Post by cybereality »

I think the difference between the Rift and previous VR peripherals is that developers are genuinely excited about the Rift. Stuff like the Razer Hydra, or Novint Falcon, (or even older, P5 glove), etc. failed to gain any acceptance or generate any hype from the dev scene. So I think the Rift is in a unique situation.

That said, I would love for there to be a new VR standard that allowed multiple devices to interoperate and simplified integration for developers. I think that is going to come later though. First we need developers to start experimenting and define what is needed to be a standard. I feel like there is a lot of work left before we even know exactly what control schemes work and what doesn't. Ultimately we would want a standard, but maybe it's too soon.
SartreFan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SartreFan »

Not all VR equipment is made the same, not by a longshot. That's why it's more difficult to imagine a unified standard for all hardware. Unless the hardware had similar features (same FOV, head tracking system) it could not be a one size fits all solution. Just as NVIDIA has 3DVision to play most games in 3D, it doesn't always work or certain parts of the graphics don't work right in 3D. As long as Oculus makes it as simple as possible to integrate VR into games, I don't think there really should be all that much extra time implementing. But I do think it's true that developers will have to start thinking about VR from the very beginning. And I really hope the Oculus pushes the entire industry in that direction. It's what we've all been waiting for anyway, for decades.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Also, I moved this to the VR section. More people will probably see it now.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

If the rift becomes popular enough, with some luck other HMD manufacturers will use the same protocol and api to be able to be used with the games that are "made for the rift". If something is popular enough it can make its own standard. At least its a step on the right direction.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

I echo your fears Yuri, and I'm not a programmer but I don't think supporting the RIFT at least in
future titles will be very difficult for game developers. Incorporating older titles maybe a challenge
and issues will present themselves at the time.. Like if doom 3 can be programmed to work with the RIFT
the majority of games should be able to as well, I think you're right in that its more a question of $$ and
will developers have the funds, time, and resources to accomplish such a thing. Guess we'll find out soon
enough!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

It sounds great, but ther needs to be more devices on the market to make it worthwhile. Those devices would have to choose to support that standard, as well, which is not something I can see a company like Sony doing.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

PalmerTech wrote:It sounds great, but ther needs to be more devices on the market to make it worthwhile. Those devices would have to choose to support that standard, as well, which is not something I can see a company like Sony doing.
Sony has a habit of making things difficult for developers, in that way.

As a programmer, I love standards. I'm all for this. Though I think VR should be supported on the DirectX/OpenGL level like a mouse and keyboard. That way engine developers can easily implement it, and then games. Though I can't imagine how difficult it would be to get it in DirectX.
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

PalmerTech wrote:It sounds great, but ther needs to be more devices on the market to make it worthwhile. Those devices would have to choose to support that standard, as well, which is not something I can see a company like Sony doing.
Isn't it possible to do implement the warping and rendering stuff into the GPU driver somehow and detach it from the game engines and API? You could talk to the Nouveau Linux devs (open source Nvidia driver)., i'm sure that the're people around who are interested in this. Or heading straight to Nvidia or AMD, the should be thrilled about the Rift anyway because i'm sure that it boosts GPU sales in the following years.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Well, they had a Nvidia logo on their presentation, so who knows? : )
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

virror wrote:Well, they had a Nvidia logo on their presentation, so who knows? : )
I have been wondering about this since seeing the NVidia logo on the Oculus booth. What's up with that? Nvidia the kings of proprietary.. Oculas sold their souls to the devil?
:lol:
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Okta wrote:
virror wrote:Well, they had a Nvidia logo on their presentation, so who knows? : )
I have been wondering about this since seeing the NVidia logo on the Oculus booth. What's up with that? Nvidia the kings of proprietary.. Oculas sold their souls to the devil?
:lol:
you know, that would actually be pretty good. sure it would be proprietary, but if Nvidia were to announce "hey this 3d vision stuff was great but check out this next great thing" 3d games developers would be way more likely to sheep along and add support, and many consumer sheep would buy it, which would be great for us
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”