To Hell and Not Back (3D Play and Recent Sound Death)

JCat
One Eyed Hopeful

To Hell and Not Back (3D Play and Recent Sound Death)

Post by JCat »

This is long - my apoligies in advance.

I have 3D Vision, an Acer GD235 and my video card is a GTX 260. Been running this set up for almost three years with no problems using the included active shutters. Last year I purchased an LG 47LW5300 and have been using it on its own with programs like Plex to stream 3D Movies (no problems) and occasionally some 3D Gaming on PS3. I decided I wanted to connect my PC to the LG so I can start watching movies direct and of course open a whole new world of content and gaming. I purchased a 25 foot, insanely thick, great quality DVI-HDMI Cable , and connected the internal S/PDIF (yeah, it's the GTX 260). My Win7 recognized the second screen and I simply duplicated the displays. The 3D Vision worked with the LG - sound, 3D and all, and of course, I had to drop the res to 1280 x 720 for games, but all seemed to work without a problem. I did find it odd/annoying that the LG automatically wants to switch to 3D as soon as you drop resolutions - while still in Windows (not running a a prog)....no biggie..

Now I decided I wanted try the games in the higher resolution, and read for two days about the edid overides. I really wasn't quite sure how this worked, but I downloaded the ACER EDID, replaced the current LG Television driver with the Acer. After a reboot, my 3D vision no longer showed 3D Play so it appeared the Acer edid was 3D Vision ready. Now, when running the 3D Test or any 3D prog on my LG, the 3D did not work. I tried all the various modes LG offered, but nothing seem to produce 3D quality the 3DPLay did. This went on all night - and I even tried the Zalman option though I realized there would be no Sound out. Zalman produced the same results for me as the Acer. The difference was, Zalman removed the LG TV option in the "Set Up Digital Audio "area of the Nvida control panel (which was to be expected). OK, I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but I was getting tired and decided for the time being, just go back to standard 3D Play and deal with the lower res gaming. Here is the REAL problem now (sorry, I know this is long):

When I switch to 3D using 3DPlay on my LG, the DVI/HDMI sound cuts out. I have it all set correctly because it worked beautifully before. I have to reboot windows 7, to get my sound back from my PC to LG. Once my LG detects the 3D Play being invoked, my TV comes up with the 3D attention prompt, but then I no longer have digital out sound. I did uninstall the current EDID I was using, and scanned for new hardware so W7 would detect the standard LG. I tried re-installing the Geforce drivers (from 5/5/2012), no luck. I even went as far as doing a Win 7 Restore point from 24 hours before the nightmare began. Successful restore, but no luck with sound in 3D. My brain is so fried from going back and forth between rooms holding a wireless mouse and my TV remote for hours on end.

Thank you and again THANK you in advance for any help or ideas.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: To Hell and Not Back (3D Play and Recent Sound Death)

Post by Dom »

Hi, try and reinstall your Nvidia drivers and also get moninfo program and create your very own display inf from that. Also you might want to goto task manager and "end task" "explorer" and then click "run" in task manager then type "explorer", press enter then let your desktop load back up then "reboot".

If that don't work turn off your tv, unplug it and turn off your computer take out your video card and reseat it. This is all the stuff I would do myself so... hopefully you can get your system back working right.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

A few years ago I always used Driver Sweeper to uninstall Geforce drivers completely: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
before a reinstall. Haven't tried that in Win 7 though.
1. uninstall Geforce driver in Win
2. reboot to safe mode
3. use Driver Sweeper (in safe mode)
4. reboot to Win
5 install Geforce driver again

(I assume You know that Nvidia's control panel includes sound options)
JCat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JCat »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I tried all mentioned even before my post, but since then, I've decided to go the TriDef route which seems to mostly do what I want, plus no need to change resolution. I still wanted all options in order to cover a wider area of game support, and I'm still experimenting to see what's causing the problem. As soon as I lower the resolution to 1280x720 in my windows control panel, the LG detects the change and switches to 3D mode. The sound, as expected, cuts out completely until I reset the PC. If I switch to that resolution and 3D is turned off in the Nvidia control panel, the sound remains intact. I tried all the edid tips to no avail. I've done extensive driver cleaning, safe mode. I'm still wondering if there is any rogue edid info somewhere on my system..

Why does 3D Play in 1280x720 automatically turn on LG's 3D mode of annoying acknowledgment screens and eye fatigue warning displays? And to add insult to injury, the screen remains this way, when on the Windows desktop which is ridiculous. You have to grab the LG remote and manually turn off 3D. This all doesn't sound right and could be part of my problem. The TriDef, Stereoscopic 3D player and TMT5 just kick into 3D without any of LG's 3D mode screens popping up. It's a smooth transition from 2D to 3D to back, automatically.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Could it be that Windows is automatically switching the default speaker to use HDMI (or something like that). Check the Windows sound settings and make sure its on the right thing.
JCat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JCat »

Thanks for your info.

In the NVidia control panel, under display there is a "Set up digital audio" option, which is set for DVI (1): LG Electronics LGTV. In Windows Sound Settings my Default is set to Digital Output. When you run a test, it plays the correct tones through my LG's TV speaker, as well as my stereo bar connected to my LG. If you click on Properties, it shows: Controller Information: SoundMax Digital HD Audio and Jack information: HDMI Digital Jack. I am using a DVI-HDMI cable since my GeForce is older and only supports two DVI outputs (and I tried the other DVI port lol). I have the correct SPDIF cable connected from Geforce to motherboard, because everything in windows including games produces perfect sound through my LG/soundbar. It's only the switch to 3D via 3D Play in its default mode of 1280x720 that the sound cuts. What gets me is this all worked until I started screwing around with the Zalman and Acer EDID to use my LG's full resolution via upside-down glasses; I'm sure I did something wrong in the process...or there'd be a helluva lot more posts with similar probs.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”