Cables for the Rift

Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Cables for the Rift

Post by Chriky »

If any of the Oculus guys are out there, I wonder if you could give a bit more info on the cabling on the Rift.

From what I gather from the videos, it looks like the actual headset has been stripped down to make it extremely light, and there is just going to be a single thin HDMI cable going from the headset down to a "pendant" that you wear on your back/round you neck.

I was wondering what cabling goes into that pendant; does it get its power from USB? I am basically wondering whether you need a separate battery pack for the pendant if you want to use a wireless backtop setup.
Marcel
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Cables for the Rift

Post by Marcel »

If I remember correctly they said there will be a single cable from the headset to a breakout box. The breakout box has DVI and USB (for the tracker and also for powering the device). This was for the Dev kit.
Chriky

Post by Chriky »

If that's true that's excellent news.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The plan is DVI, HDMI, USB, and a power brick input. You can power the system off USB alone if your computer is capable of outputting enough current (~700ma@5v), and use the brick if not.
Dycus

Post by Dycus »

What Palmer said. Just wanna add that the HDMI cable is not final. I just used that to carry everything because it has the right number of wires in the right configuration. It's just for the prototypes.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

PalmerTech wrote:The plan is DVI, HDMI, USB, and a power brick input. You can power the system off USB alone if your computer is capable of outputting enough current (~700ma@5v), and use the brick if not.
That's great if you can keep it at a low power ceiling like that. USB power is a major advantage to the backtop crowd.

Return to “Oculus VR”