StreetView for the rift, almost working

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

StreetView for the rift, almost working

Post by Lilwolf »

Ok, been playing with it for the last few days.

The attached file (unzip, then click on it) will create two streetview windows with as much as I can figure out how to hide hidden. Move the screen on the left with your mouse and move by clicking.

Things of note:

1) zoom of 0 probably isn't enough distortion, but I'm not going to look at it until I get the glasses. But really, we will probably need to grab the data and do it ourselves (but in js, it will probably be ssslloooww)...
2) angle of eye is a guess. Also it needs to change based on the zoom.
3) I haven't looked at full screen yet

I think the long term, to get this to work, I will need to grab the tiles and put it into an application, and then do the translation in real language. This would allow head tilt, bit of rotation, and hopefully a bit of speed.

But after playing for a bit, it's all completely doable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GLPriest
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: StreetView for the rift, almost working

Post by GLPriest »

Good idea- I'll try to remember to try this in December when we get the stuff. BTW, I'm having a desync issue between the two windows when dragging for rotation.
Gunshot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gunshot »

I have been thinking about google maps stuff recently an remembered hearing about a racing thing where a lap car had some kind of laser scanner on it that could map the track in 3d.http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=e ... nomobile=1 And now think about outfitting the google cars with this laser mapping tech. We could have the start of an entire 3d world to explore. I was talking about this with my room mate, and was saying if you were to then section off small chunks of buildings to be modeled on the inside by the community, you could move around on the streets and inside every building, even if the insides were not actually correct to the real world. I said "think how cool a shooting game would be with this!" and my friend says "yeah... Terrorists would love it."

...ah. Didn't think of it like that. But she is kind of negative.

also it sucks to be new, could not get embedded youtube vid to work for the life of me lol.
divide
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by divide »

Are you able to use the depth data from Google street too to create a stereoscopic effect ?
They have the data, but I wonder if you can access it...
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

GLPriest wrote:Good idea- I'll try to remember to try this in December when we get the stuff. BTW, I'm having a desync issue between the two windows when dragging for rotation.
This might be browser based. I had some, not much after the image was loaded. But I think to truly fix it, I will have to grab the data from google, and write my own viewer. I don't think I want to do that until the api's are out. I might get enthusiastic and try and get the data into a java or something first. You can ask for the entire globe of pictures in one shot. We could take that and just take over.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

divide wrote:Are you able to use the depth data from Google street too to create a stereoscopic effect ?
They have the data, but I wonder if you can access it...
no stereoscopic data :( . I think it will end up looking like you are inside of a giant globe looking out. IE, all images at same distance.

we do have up to 4 zoom levels. but other then that, we are stuck with the data they give.
gray
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gray »

Gunshot wrote:I have been thinking about google maps stuff recently an remembered hearing about a racing thing where a lap car had some kind of laser scanner on it that could map the track in 3d....
You are referring to LIDAR, Google's self driving car utilises it and they've mapped in 3D a fair portion of US east roads;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXylqtEQ0tk&t=8m53s

I expect a less detailed version of this will be incorporated into StreetView at a later date.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

I'd rather see support for Nokia Maps 3D, although since it's using WebGL, I don't know how "moddable" it is...
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

I haven't looked into it a whole lot, but there are open projects like openstreetmap.org and opentopography.org.

I wonder how feasible it would be to fit a bunch of flying drones, cars, etc. with LiDAR? It would be nice to have open data rather than relying on Google/ Apple/ Nokia.

Just found this: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/fou ... idar-seems

I'm going to read up on this some more.

Return to “Oculus VR”