Best 3D Laptop for $1000 or less?

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Best 3D Laptop for $1000 or less?

Post by cybereality »

I am looking to get a 3D laptop, I was wondering what the best options are. I'm looking for something under $1,000. I don't care if its active/passive/auto or whatever. I just need it to be able to output HDMI 1.4a directly. I wouldn't even mind if the screen was 2D provided it out output to 3D displays over HDMI. The laptop I have now can't do it, so I am just going to sell it and make up the difference. Would rather go AMD after getting burned with this Nvidia laptop, but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Best 3D Laptop for $1000 or less?

Post by xhonzi »

Me too.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Still wondering about this. Are there any that do 3D out (pageflipping, framepacking, or SBS) on HDMI even if they don't have any kind of screen at around $500-$600? It it basically an NVIDIA or AMD video card that I'm looking for, or what is it?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AMD A8 powered laptops should support HD3D [ http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook ... eam.aspx#5 ] (meaning HDMI 1.4a frame-packing) though I have not seen much confirmation of this in the wild. Even so, they wouldn't really be powerful enough to run modern games in 3D anyway. I mean, probably Half-Life 2 or something would run, but I don't know about much else. I am still searching myself, as I'd like to have a full 3D capable laptop that doesn't break the bank.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

What was the problem with your other laptop? I'll assume "burned" doesn't mean from the infrared spectrum (as I've heard some lappy's can do). Forgive me if you covered this elsewhere, I just didn't want to scan all of your posts looking for the reference.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

"Burned" in the fact that Nvidia lists my laptop model as supported by 3D Vision ( go here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html , the Lenovo Y570 is still listed) but it does not work AT ALL. Many angry people on the Nvidia forum about this but they give no response (and I'm pretty sure Andrew Fear and others at Nvidia have seen the threads). I sent a support request and they just gave me the typical BS: install latest drivers, etc. So I have to use side-by-side format. But, even worse, the HDMI output only works with the integrated Intel GPU and NOT the Nvidia card. Meaning when I output to an external 3D device it only uses the crap Intel graphics and not the Nvidia chip I paid for. Altogether I feel totally ripped off. Luckily the laptop was only $650, and when not using 3D its actually decent. It can play Battlefield 3 on low settings, it has a Blu-Ray drive, the speakers are decent. Probably still worth a good amount if I want to sell it. So its not all too bad. Just sucks cause I got it specifically for 3D, and it can barely do that.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

ooowch, damn! That "feature" of crippling the Nvidia chip would definitely tick me off too, and "burned" is an apt description IMO. So many products, hardware and soft, are designed/built by non-enthusiasts, that meet spec, but fail, fail, fail - cuz they got no real world connection. That is the main reason we all should get behind the Rift.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”