Vuzix 1200VR Honest Review??

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vuzix 1200VR Honest Review??

Post by cybereality »

You can read the review I did here:
http://mtbs3d.com/index.php?option=com_ ... Itemid=323

If you have any questions let me know.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I have the 920 but not the 1200. My impressions from what I've read is that if you really don't like the 920, then the 1200 is not going to improve your situation much.

Many people around here are eagerly awaiting the ST1080 which goes on pre-order soon. From a design standpoint it is the logical successor to the Vuzix, but it dramatically improves on it in every way. You might consider holding out for that.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Also, for what its worth, I ended up selling my 1200VR. The quality was just not up to par in my opinion. Will probably invest in the HMZ-T1 and/or the ST1080 at a later point in time.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I posted my initial thoughts about the Wrap 1200 when I first received mine:
http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13732

I'm still using it very happily, but I would say that with the Sony now available, and the ST1080 nearly available, the Vuzix is rather obsolete at the moment.

The major plus for me is that the Vuzix has VGA, component and composite connections, so it can be connected to virtually anything. The only thing it can't do is connect to a 3D Blu-Ray player :x .

I'm still holding out hope that the Cinemizer will be the best of all possible worlds. They seem to be in no hurry to release it, but it sounds like there might be some news at CeBit in Berlin next month.
Angmar3D
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Angmar3D »

CyberReality, isn't it true that you wear prescription eye glasses? Everyone who wears glasses, gives Vuzix a hard time, and most negative reviews seem like they are about the wearability/comfort and not the little screens as far as I can tell.

Throw your monitor into 640x480 and play a game, maybe have tridef throw it into side by side and cross ur eyes and play at 640x480 and see if u can handle the VR. Of course I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but the real thing should look better. Decide for yourself if it's worth it for good 3d and immersion. After a LOT of consideration, I tried buying the wrap920 standard(built my own trackclip pro, ps3 eye mod so don't need 6tc, TrackIR quality 6tc is worth $30 max IMO if you DIY(cost me a few dollars less than that), but Vuzix didn't want my money because they don't know what prepaid Visa is!! Even paypal is smarter than that.. Can I buy this crap with ppal?

Oh and based on reviews the 1200vr is only worth barely ConumerSRP $300 maximum, el cheapo parts and out dated poop, NOT $600(at least IZ3D has special wrap920 setting now, so ur good and tridef is ok except it's fu*ked with edimensional and LCD). Get refurbished wrap920 and build ur own head tracking, then u'll be spending less return it for the 1200 if u like it. If I do the same I will get back to you, I have better than 20/20 hawk vision so it will be as accurate as you can get. Wish me luck having them take my stupid card.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

At $200 these days, me-thinks the Wrap 920 is a good deal. At a whopping $500 however, the price of the 1200 simply can't be justified. It is neither twice as good as the 920 nor half as good as the Sony as the price would suggest.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

$200 would be a good deal since that would make it compete with FPV goggles such as Fatshark.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I wear glasses (and contacts). However Vuzix markets their glasses as having diopter adjustment, but it wasn't enough for me. Interesting, some of their older headsets (Wrap 310) looked perfect without glasses. So the 1200 series is actually a step backwards in terms of optics. I don't think the comfort was a big issue, and don't believe I made a big deal out of that in the review. Obviously it is more comfortable without glasses, and if Vuzix had given a greater range of focus, this would have been a reality.

But even with glasses, I would have been alright with the HMD had it not had other glaring flaws. Most importantly, the displays were just sub-par and blurry, even for the resolution. I mean, my smart phone is *only* 480 x 800, even less than the 1200VR. But my phone looks WAY better and WAY higher resolution. I could have lived with the low res provided the image was clear and colorful. But it wasn't.

Aside from that the HMD actually has some nice features: great head-tracker, independent IPD and diopter adjustments, modular design, light-weight, USB powered. It actually has a lot going for it. However its primary use is as a display device, and if the screens are sub-par then its just not something I could recommend.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Is it the optics or the screens that is causing the bad display?

If its just the screens, maybe the Wraps best use could be as a mod base. Or are they too integrated to consider something like switching screens out?

When the hell is the ST1080 getting here! The anticipation is killing me!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

WiredEarp wrote:Is it the optics or the screens that is causing the bad display?
Probably a combination of both.
WiredEarp wrote:If its just the screens, maybe the Wraps best use could be as a mod base. Or are they too integrated to consider something like switching screens out?
This may be difficult. This is because some of the Wrap models (maybe all of them) have the screens pointed down and use an angled mirror (this is my guess from looking at them). So the screens are very much integrated into the design (and I assume the controller is taking care of mirroring the image). So probably more work that its worth to mod.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”