cant decide whether i should go 27' 3d or 3d projector

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
beyonder
One Eyed Hopeful

cant decide whether i should go 27' 3d or 3d projector

Post by beyonder »

from all my extensive research, i have basically summed up that.. projector technology is .. well its lagging awfully.. if one goes to nvidia s projector list, not one projector is native 1920 1080. i have to buy some lame ass mid high resolution projector, and even then its seems dubious at best, lag and all other kinds of crap problems i have read about..

which has lead me back to basically wondering if i should just stick with the biggest 3d monitor out there , which is the asus 27 inch with nvidia glasses, and the light boost etc..

i mean can anyone tell me honestly that its worth all the head ache to go to a projector which is really what i want..

ideally if i got a projector like the optoma hd33, that would be perfect, i could watch 3d movies, in hd, then drop resolution down to 1200 x 720 and then play a few 3d games, then if possible play a few 2d games in 1920 x 1080 if that was possible, but from what i read the lag will be too much..

please someone tell me if its worth the hassel.. I ideally DONT want to buy two projects one just for 3d moveis and one just for 3dpc gaming.. which is seems i would be stuck doing.. :l

thanks so much for any clarity or insight, in advance..
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: cant decide whether i should go 27' 3d or 3d projector

Post by WiredEarp »

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have money to spend on my next setup, but am unsure what I should go for. Triple screen 3D monitors? Triple screen monitors with fresnels? Or a 720P projector?
Currently, I think I might just buy a new HMD (ST1080 looks good) and get 1080P resolution, no ghosting, etc. Only problem will be that my FOV will probably be less than satisfactory.

I currently have a 23" 3D monitor which I am very happy with. For most anything I'd want to use it for, its very acceptable (despite having some ghosting on bright scenes).

What lag are you referring to with 3D projectors? I hadn't heard they have lag, unless you are referring to some (older ones I think) that have 1 frame lag so need the glasses to be inverted.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

With a projector you get the sheer size, although an argument could be made that sitting at a desk in front of a 27" might cover as much (or more) field of view as a projector at couch distance. Really depends what you want. If you will be watching a lot of movies, then a projector might make more sense. If you are primarily gaming, then maybe the monitor would be fine. Playing at 720P on a monitor/TV can look a little low quality, but I feel like this isn't as bad on a projector for some reason. I guess maybe the size makes up for it. But if you are going to drop the money, whats going to be more impressive than having a friggin' 3D theater in you living room? People will come to your house to see that. I know I would.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

There is no substitute for size.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

There is no substitute for size.
[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa9YUDNHobE[/youtube-hd]

Couldn't resist, sorry.

Regards,
Neil
beyonder
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beyonder »

well it looks like i am going the way of a projector as the lag will typically not effect me as much as a fps person as i do not play any online fps etc.. does anyone out there have exp with a pc - 3d projector set up? any idea on the lag im in for?

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”