Eizo's DuraVision LCD does glasses-free 3D at 1080p

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Eizo's DuraVision LCD does glasses-free 3D at 1080p

Post by Silversurfer »

Looking like something that escaped from the bridge of the U.S.S. Palomino is Eizo's DuraVision FDF2301-3D, a dark, menacing visage containing a 23-inch LCD. It sports a full HD resolution and can display content in 3D, but its real trick is that it can do so without glasses. Yes, deep within that dark and angular exterior is the necessary set of hardware to ensure that two eyes see two separate images, supposedly without any of the weirdness we've seen with other glasses-free displays. The penalty is of course its imposing bulk and what will surely be an imposing price. No cost has been set, but indications are that it will cost many thousands of dollars -- not that it'll ever hit retail.

Permalink | AV Watch | Email this | Comments

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/eizo ... s-totally/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Eizo's DuraVision LCD does glasses-free 3D at 1080p

Post by cybereality »

Funny how all those mainstream fanbois always complain about looking dorky wearing 3D glasses. Then a company makes a screen that doesn't need glasses (and supposedly solves the issues with auto-stereo) yet then they just complain about the looks of the display itself. Not one comment on that site even mentions 3D. You just can't win.
Silversurfer

Post by Silversurfer »

Eizo announces more detail on glasses-free 3D DuraVision LCD

You admired its bezels two weeks ago when Eizo released the first details to the world, now wonder at its full specs and more details. The company has released a spec sheet confirming the 1920 x 1080 resolution and 23-inch size, also detailing how it works. The monitor uses a directional backlight and a time lag to effectively hit each eye individually through the same pixel, enabling that high resolution in a small panel but still delivering glasses-free performance. Eizo pledges no moiré, color distortion, or other issues typically seen in glasses-free displays, but this tech will surely not come cheap when it ships in the second quarter of 2011. How do we know? Anticipated applications for the FDF2301-3D include scanning electron microscopes and semiconductor inspections -- playing Killzone 3 is sadly not listed.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/13/eizo ... on-lcd-re/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I am hoping they do not have a patent on this tech. I want to see it in other things.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech wrote:I am hoping they do not have a patent on this tech. I want to see it in other things.
If they don't then someone else surely does. You just don't sleep on technology like that.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I guess the patent must have existed for the past century since it's just an autostereoscopic display with the inherent limitations of this technology, ie. fixed viewer position at 89 cm (35") from the screen and allowed lateral movement of 65mm (2.5").

The only enhancement over previous displays of this type is the 1920x1080 resolution for each eye, but at $10,000 the display I'll pass on this one...

Funny to see how engadget was first very critical about stereo 3D when it was absolutely not justified and how they now encense any new product when it doesn't offer anything new. Times are changing, but not bad journalism...
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

Microsoft has demonstrated variations on this tech with head tracking, which resolves the narrow viewing angle.
The MS tech was originally deveoped to reduce power consumption on LCD's, there ls a paper around somewhere, basically it uses an interesting prism design with an array of LED's as a backlight, changing which LED's are on/off changes the direction of the backlight.

Still has the limitation of limited numbers of viewers, although I guess this is more a function of how fast you can change the direction of the backlight, and how well you can deal with the brightness loss, more than a display speed issue, so maybe it's less of an issue.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”