New to 3D, need help, think I might have incompatible hardwa

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
spyderms
One Eyed Hopeful

New to 3D, need help, think I might have incompatible hardwa

Post by spyderms »

So, to begin, here's what my hardware/software is looking like... I'm at work now so don't know exact model numbers, etc... will edit this post when I get home...
  • AMD Athlon II 2.3GHz (I think it's an Athlon II... it was recently given to me from a friend to replace my Athlon64 3700+)
  • 2GB DDR3?
  • GeForce 7600GT 512MB
  • Windows 7 32-bit
  • ViewWonic pjd6531w "3D-Ready" Projector
  • Xpand X102 Stereoscopic Glasses
  • High-Speed HDMI cable, 25ft
So, I've tried installing various combinations of nVidia drivers to try and get the stereoscopic options available. There are some 'guides' (aka forum threads) that explain what to do, but they are based off using WindowsXP-only drivers. If I have to dual-boot XP to get some 3D fun... then so be it... but if there's another soltion, I'd rather go that route.

I installed Stereoscopic Player, and was able to play some clips from their website in 3D, so I know it 'works'... just need some drivers to use in games.

I tried using the beta software from iZ3D, as it now supports a handful of 3D-Ready projectors, but apparently not my specific model just yet... so I'm hoping they'll add it soon, as that may just solve all my problems altogether...

Finally, after installing the latest drivers from nVidia, as well as the most recent 3D Vision drivers, I got the stereoscopic option in the control panel, but for some ridiculous reason, the 7600GT is no longer supported. Now, I understand it's a fairly old card, especially when you're talking about gaming; but my frustration comes from the fact that it used to play 3D games on WindowsXP, they simply dropped support for Vista/7 in order to get people to upgrade.

So, my question is, apart from waiting for iz3D to update their driver, is there any solutions/hacks I can use to get 3D running on my setup without upgrading my card? I don't play any recent games, and completely understand that the performance drop is significant even for current cards.

On a side note, I was originally hoping to get my PS3 connected to it for 3D gaming, but it seems the PS3 will only support the 'frame-packing' method, and not page-flipping, so it will only work with devices that support HDMI 1.4, while all the 3D-Ready projectors are only HDMI 1.3b. Are there any hacks to get this working? I read about a possibility of buying a certain capture card for your PC and having your PS3 connected to it via HDMI, and viewing the stream using Stereoscopic player, but I looked for the card mentioned and could not find it for sale online, even on eBay.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I know one day I'll have to upgrade my video card, but if it's possible for me to delay that time, I'd prefer that.

-John
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New to 3D, need help, think I might have incompatible ha

Post by Likay »

The first thing to try should be digging out your winxp from somewhere (make a dual boot if anything goes wrong). You may encounter problems with drivers on newer computers but i think you'll be fine in this matter. What i don't know is how well your Xpand X102's + your projector works with the old-school nvidiadrivers though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
spyderms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyderms »

Damn... I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, but yeah, I thought that might end up being the only way. I'll throw in an old hard drive and just boot XP by itself to test it... if it goes well, I'll set up a dual-boot situation.

I hope they do work with the drivers... With Stereoscopic Player they 'work', but there are flashes every now and then (about every second or so) where the image goes way off to the right, almost like fragmenting or something. Not sure if thats the player, my video card, projector, or glasses :(
spyderms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by spyderms »

Success!

After testing various driver combinations (163.71/162.50, 162.18/162.15) on XP, using some of the oldest ones (91.31/91.31) finally worked. I also installed nvtray/nvtweak, which may or may not have unlocked all the stereo types. Only Analglyph was working with 162.18/162.15, and after some searching, i discovered nvtweak would unlock the other types, but it was said to only work with 9X.XX drivers. I tried it anyways, with no luck, and at that point, installed the 91.31 pair, and every option showed up. Tested, and glorious 3D filled my 100" screen. Now to install some games :)

Thanks Likay!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yw!
The trick to make 162.50 show all stereooptions if running an "nvidia nonapproved display" is doing the vga-pinmod trick explained in this thread.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”