[help] Anaglyphic Stereo with 7600gs

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

[help] Anaglyphic Stereo with 7600gs

Post by jacen »

First of all, i am completly new to stereoscopic rendering. I know the basics, but not much of the technical side of things.

my setup (what matters of it):
win2k sp4
gf 7600gs
forware 93.71
samsung 205bw (20" 16:10)

i just want to play q3 with anaglyphic stereo rendering.
now the thing is, you surely know these mosaic pictures where you can see 3d pictures when you cross your eyes.
they never worked for me. i'm one of the few guys that are NOT colorblind and still fail to see such pictures ... *doh*

my questions:

-) do the various software solutions render the images side by side or on top of each other? side by side would be bad ...
-) will any red/cyan glasses work (i guess so ...)
-) i have a little software problem: i installed StereoE-9371-[Guru3D.com].exe, and constantly get bluescreens when i even try to set it up. n4v_disp.dll keeps crashing ... beta i guess
-) i also tried wickedes.exe which, in theory, should render anaglyphic stereo in opengl games. it detects quake 3, but it has no effect whatsoever. maybe i have to activate it somehow i don't understand?
-) when using the forceware stereo driver, assuming it renders the images on top of each other, will it render 2x60 fps when i activate vsync? meaning, does one frame count as one or 2 frames? not that it matters though because i can always pump up maxfps to 120 and if i get half of that, i have vsync at hand.

well thats about it.
greetings from vienna.

/edit:
and ... if anyone knows where i can buy some anaglyph glasses in vienna, please let me know.
i only know some childrens book, selling at the post office, that has them included.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I bought my anaglyph glasses at 3dstereo.com. From Las Vegas to Europe there is a long way, but they sent it to me by regular post so the shipping cost wasn't high. I could not find anything at Europe.
But my firsts experiments were with handmade glasses, with red and blue cellophane. 3 layers of red cellophane and 2 of blue I think.

The two images are one on top of each other, just as any regular anaglyph.

Hangs up: I have an "old" P4 processor, so I don't have those problems, but I see a lot on different forums that if you have a dual core processor you have to disable one of them to avoid hangs up. Maybe is it your problem?
The frame rate... hmmm... in theory, the card should output the same fps, but as each frame is for only one eye, in practice the fps is halved. Over this, there use to be an overhead that lowers even more the fps, but it can vary from game to game and could depend on driver version.

Once you got it working, it's very important to know the keys that control convergence, ctrl+F5 and ctrl+F6. Later, the keys for stereo separation, ctrl+F3 and ctrl+F4. The idea is to increment stereo separation once you are used to the somewhat unnatural stereoscopic effect. The brain needs to get used to look at different distances keeping the same optical focus.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

crim3 wrote:The two images are one on top of each other, just as any regular anaglyph.
thank you, thats good news.
crim3 wrote:Hangs up: I have an "old" P4 processor, so I don't have those problems, but I see a lot on different forums that if you have a dual core processor you have to disable one of them to avoid hangs up. Maybe is it your problem?
i have an "regular" athlon 3200+ single core, so i think that's not the issue. maybe the cool&quiet software is causing this ... i'll try without it.
maybe i'll try 91.31 forceware today. they are the current official release.

thanks.
if someone has some insight on why it is not working or why i get bluescreens, please let me know.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

i reverted to 91.31 with the appropriate stereo drivers, but now, when i want to activate it, it crashes my pc.
help :(
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: [help] Anaglyphic Stereo with 7600gs

Post by LukePC1 »

jacen wrote: my setup (what matters of it):
win2k sp4
I'm not shure, how the drivers behave on win2k. I thought they worked with the latest service-Pack, but I'm not shure.
-You could try a OLD (8x.xx or even 7x.xx) driver, which might support Win2K better. Here can be found a collection of S-3D drivers

-I experienced problems with XP and sp1. To avoid the blue-screen Problem, try always the latest servicepacks (sp2 for XP and sp4 for 2K?)!
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I've made a install guide but it's for XP SP2:
http://www.3d.wep.dk/driverguide.html
maybe You can use some of it?
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

LukePC1 wrote:Here can be found a collection of S-3D drivers!
thx
will try 78.01
Freke1 wrote:I've made a install guide but it's for XP SP2:
http://www.3d.wep.dk/driverguide.html
maybe You can use some of it?
i did it this way the first time ... hmmm
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

okay. 8x.xx and 7x.xx won't work, because 7600gs chipsets need at least 9x.xx drivers.

it's really strange.
the driver installs fine on 93.71, but as soon i want to activate it, my system reboots.
i can even set up all the driver settings, but when i klick on "Enabled by Hot Key" or "Enabled", i crash :(
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Does 91.31 supports the 7600 GS?
Maybe try the 163.71 FW + 162.50 3D combo. It worked with my 7800GS/7900GT card. Actually better than 91.31/91.31 in some new games.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

Freke1 wrote:Does 91.31 supports the 7600 GS?
yes. the drivers worked great. just the stereorenderer didn't work.
Freke1 wrote:Maybe try the 163.71 FW + 162.50 3D combo. It worked with my 7800GS/7900GT card. Actually better than 91.31/91.31 in some new games.
i'll try tomorrow.
jacen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jacen »

partial success:
i got kind dragon's hook to work.
works fine in hl2 and lego star wars 2.
haven't tried other games, but it should work for newer games.
just need red/cyan googles now ...
and i really wanted to run q3 and war3 anaglyph ... :(

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”