Hello guys, about me..

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Hello guys, about me..

Post by Bo_Fox »

Hey Sharky and Others..

Been gaming sometimes in S-3D for the last few years with my 24" Sony GDM-FW900 widescreen CRT monitor. My favorite resolution was usually at 1280x800 @ 140 Hz with shutter glasses. Over the years, I have tried out 4 different shutter glasses (still have 3 with me, with the favorite one being X3D PC VIEWER that can easily be found on Ebay for a few bucks). The shutter glasses from BFG were the most uncomfortable, giving me dents on my nose bridge plus dirty brownish-color glasses compared to the clean sunglass tints with other glasses!

However, I am curious to try out anaglyph glasses. My other rig is hooked up with a 24" LCD (Dell 2405FPW).. would that work just fine with anaglyph glasses if I hook up that monitor with my Nvidia rig?

The last few games that I played in S3D were: Painkiller Black Edition and Half Life 2 Episode 1. HL2 Ep 1 plays beautifully and flawlessly!!! Wish that game were longer, though... Still haven't tried it out with Far Cry, although I plan on doing that someday.

I'm still holding my breath for new S-3D drivers that promise far greater compatibility with 8800 cards so I can finally upgrade my Nvidia rig (geting tired of SLI, especially AFR mode with its lag and SFR mode with its CPU overhead). It's a waste having SLI when S3D only uses mainly one GPU. At least Nvidia gets twice my business compared to ATI (2 video cards from Nvidia compared to 1 from ATI).
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Welcome! :D

Enjoy your stay. (I am). :D

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

"Hey Sharky and Others.. "

lol.. thanks for this personalized title.. :D

welcome to the board! have fun!

;)

bye

sharky
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Hi

Does SLI work with 3D? Do You get 2 times the fps compared to only 1 card?
Thx.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

sli works only with shutterglasses and anaglyph.. the framerate should be approx the double. ;)

bye

sharky

ps: better wait for a confirmation of somebody who tested it!
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

Hmm.. :shock: I did not know that SLI doubles the frame rates, or even increases it.. because what I believe is that in SLI split-frame mode, the bottom half does not work correctly in S-3D. In some games like UT2004, the bottom half goes down to the remaining bottom 15% of the screen. If I enable the SLI GPU-indicator, the horizontal line goes down along with the split-frame horizontal line, with the indicator being at exactly the same place as the split.

The top half whenever I start games in split-frame stereo-3d SLI mode usually works correctly in rendering stereo-3d. In some games, the top half will take over approx. 85% of the screen, while the bottom half goes down to the bottom 15% of the remaining screen at the bottom. The bottom portion is never rendered in stereo-3d (only one side is rendered, but not both stereo.. it's only rendered for the right eye, not for both eyes--I have confirmed this by bllinking my eyes).

I can tolerate playing UT2004 in Stereo-3d in SLI-mode with the bottom 15% being rendered in only "mono" right-eye mode, since the very bottom 15% is probably the most "unimportant" part of the screen, looking down at the ground most of the time. The same applies for Painkiller and HL2 Episode 1.

I have not confirmed if it actually increases the frame rates when SFR is being enabled with the bottom half being incorrectly rendered, but it certainly does run smoothly at 1280x800. It seems to run at similiar frame rates in other modes (decidated mode and single-gpu rendering mode), so I am not quite sure that split-frame rendering gives any frame rate increases. Dedicated GPU mode seems to be the most unstable mode, giving most crashes and incompatibility issues. Interesting, whatsoever.. I'll try to test it out and confirm with whatever time I have during this busy holiday season. :o
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64

Return to “General Discussion”