Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Movie Review

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Movie Review

Post by PressBot »

By Pam Swartz

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a movie based on the children’s book of the same name. The story focuses on young inventor named Flint Lockwood, and his incredible invention that makes food out of water.

As a young boy, Flint was consumed with inventing new things. Unfortunately, most of the things that he invented did not work properly or ended up in disaster. The “spray on shoes” that become irremovable stone shoes are a good example of his misfortunes.

While growing up, his mother passes away, and he and his father live together in the family home in Swallow Falls, a tiny island in the Atlantic Ocean. The town’s only industry is sardines, once high in demand and exported around the world. Unfortunately, sardines lost their lustre, and were no longer popular. Without a new industry to fall back on for money, the townspeople are left to exist on the town’s rich supply of sardines.

Flint and his father do not see eye to eye on his haphazard inventions, and his dad insists that it is time for Flint to join him in the family business, a sardine shop. One day when he is left in charge of the shop, Flint leaves and tries one last time to make his invention work. This time it does, and the sky starts raining cheeseburgers.

With his invention that can make the sky rain any of kind of food that the townspeople order, he becomes a town hero one dish at a time. One of my favorite scenes is when Officer Earl, a former adversary, asks Flint if he can create cake and ice cream for his son’s birthday. Flint makes a huge snowstorm made of ice cream. Ice cream being my favourite food, I was sitting there watching it all in 3D, and getting hungrier by the minute!

As the town keeps ordering up tons and tons of food, and people are enjoying themselves after years of only having had sardines to eat, Flint forms a friendship with a visiting weathercaster named, Sam. We learn that she was nerdy in her younger years, and appreciates Flint and all his inventions.

As the adage goes, too much of anything isn’t good for you, and what begins as a gift from the sky slowly becomes a town curse – will Flint be able to set things right?

What I enjoyed most about this movie was the total 3D experience. I have said in the past that a 3D movie can’t all be about the 3D, and needs a great story to go along with it. In this instance, I am changing my opinion. The story in this movie is entertaining, but there is nothing really special about it. With the addition of 3D, this movie suddenly becomes much more engaging, and is indeed something to see.

It was an extremely comfortable viewing experience, maybe one of the best I have had yet. The colors are bright, there is a great deal of depth, and the action scenes with the food crashing and falling is amazing to see. For Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, the 3D component really is the main attraction.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs stars the voices of Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan and Mr. T, to name a few. Sony Pictures produced the film, and it is currently showing in 3D in select theatres using the RealD and IMAX 3D systems.

7/10 for story
8/10 for 3D

Read full article...

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”