Need Help.......

robetjems
One Eyed Hopeful

Need Help.......

Post by robetjems »

Hello Everyone,

I have big problem and need solution.
I am not able to start My XP. I have install dual OS XP and Fedora. I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.
Now the problem is that I am not able to reinstall it due to fedora's Non Dos partition.

I want to delete the Non Dos partition and install XP back..

I don't want to lose my data on other drives like D:,E:, and F: ..

Is there any solution to delete the fedora an can get my space with XP back???
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Need Help.......

Post by cybereality »

robetjems wrote:I am not able to start My XP. ... I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.
Well thats the kind of thing that happens when you delete your hard drive! :shock:

In all seriousness XP is on its deathbed. Maybe its a sign to upgrade to Windows 7.
gisabun
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Need Help.......

Post by gisabun »

Prtoblem with deleting the first partition [C drive] is that's what your system looks for to boot.

You should be able keep your oher partitions intact.

Here's what you can try:
1) Boot off the the XP CD.
2) You must delete your first partition [where XP was originally] within the XP setup [as you said it can't install there because of the "non DOS" partition].
3) Install XP and get it up to date.

I've done it before where I've wiped out the first partition while keeping the ones after around. Only thing you may need to do is to reset the file and folder security on all partitions.

If you are just playing around with Fedora and nothing professionally, I'd suggest you use a virtual machine software such as VMware Workstation or VMware Server [both work with XP and the latter is free]. I have used VMware for probably 5+ years now. If something gets f?cked up in a VM, wipe it and start from scratch. Need a bit extra resources though.

Assuming you haven't missed anything this should work.

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”