PHANToM+LCDshutter stereoscopic system

Find a good S-3D side by side video on YouTube? Share it here!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

PHANToM+LCDshutter stereoscopic system

Post by yuriythebest »

video uses the new youtube 3d tags so here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu68PFCowY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my comment from youtube:
coool! at first I thought it was a 3d planar rig but then realised there is a CRT monitor at the top, and the mirror simply reflects it and hides the "real" hand below. I wonder if this will work on polarized systems like the iz3d- if polarized light is reflected does it still retain its 3d properties?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: PHANToM+LCDshutter stereoscopic system

Post by cybereality »

That is a pretty ingenious method that guys using. Cool video.
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Very interesting!

Yuri, I think polarized light is turned 90 degrees when reflected in a mirror, I could be wrong, maybe Likay would know.
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

ok I just did a quick test- I sat facing away from the iz3d while holding a mirror and wearing glasses and came to the conclusion that nothing has changed- since the mirror was small it was hard to see but I switched on the image from the iz3d static test where an ogre is throwing a spear- when glasses were normal I was able to say that the spear was in front of the background, when I wore them upside down the spear was no longer popping out. preliminary conclusion: polarization doesn't change when reflected.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Lol@WheatstoneHolmes: How come i'm associated with polarization? ;)

Polarization is mirrored when reflected. If the polarization is 45° before the mirror then the polarization will be 135° after reflection. This is used in planar devices and therefore they works without modifications when using displays that have 45° polarization. If polarization is either 0° or 90° the polarization is unaffected.

Lol@Yuriy: I just had to try with the iz3d and came to the same conclusion. Since i know the iz3d has 45/135° the result first made me what the f***.... :D But it all makes sense:
The reason why the iz3d reflected image looks proper (it actually is) is simply that the image itself also is mirrored which gives a final result of a mirrored but proper image in stereo.
Try mirroring an anaglyph image and see. Then you'll get a L/R shift too. :D

I aslo now recall that a mirrored image in a glasswindow from the big rig once scared the crap out of me... :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “Favorite Online S-3D Videos”