Things Are Getting Serious!

Love it or Lump it - post your feedback to individual blog posts on mtbs3D.com
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Things Are Getting Serious!

Post by Neil »

With Mitsubishi and Samsung in the S-3D game, how do you think game developers will respond?

Is the horse officially in front of the cart now?

Do you think 3D HDTV will help the public understand the benefits of S-3D, and how will this understanding translate to the video game industry?
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

I'm not really well informed in this area and have never even seen an autostereoscopic display.. but I am skeptical..

People are only now slooooowly responding to HDTV, content for that is meager over here too. I hope there is still enthusiasm left to get into another new thing. Besides, usually people sit quite far away from their TV sets, reducing 3D effects (like immersion and pop out)/ And many want to hang/lie on their couch which doesn't work with some (most) autostereoscopic displays I suppose..

Dunno.. if anyone can enlighten me with what is going to be released in this field I'd be happy to know..

Ofcourse there is a potential, but that is not really a issue atm I think. Biggest issue is content, plug and play and price...
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Jahun,

I read the article again to make sure I didn't miss anything. The 3D HDTV solution is based on shutter glasses with 60 frames on each eye (120hz).

It is plug and play in that they are focusing on movie and sports content for now, and in this case, I think video games are a separate can of worms.

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Actually i think it's great that 3D comes on different fronts! I'm a totally 3D-freak and enjoys both watching movies and gaming in true-3D. Every awareness of 3D as media is welcome since it probably might pull things over and finally one day true-3D will be as much standard as sound in stereo is today (or even dolby surround with 7 channels :lol:) ! But that's only my opinion though.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Jahun wrote:Besides, usually people sit quite far away from their TV sets, reducing 3D effects (like immersion and pop out)
I think it's the opposite for pop out. From what I've seen with my S-3D passive dual projection system, the farther you sit from the screen, the farther from the screen the picture pops out toward you.

The Mitsubishi products are promising. We need solutions that don't compromise the quality of the picture. That's what mitsubishi is proposing if you compare to a pc using shutter glasses and a CRT monitor.

It's a step in the right direction but I still feel like it's not a perfect solution because it requires powered glasses and because of the loss of brightness. It's annoying to have a wire coming out of wired glasses and it's annoying to have to replace batteries in unwired glasses. Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I think that the brightness of a DLP TV can be higher than a the brightness of CRT monitor so the brightness should be fine with shutterglasses.
article wrote:?and unlike polarized lenses they do not cause eye strain and headaches, which is what most people complain about with red/green glasses,? Naranjo said.
Is it true that polarized lenses cause eyestrain? I have some doubts about that. Does anyone has any source to prove or refute that?

The airing of sporting events is also promising. It might make watching sports on tv a bit more interesting.
Jahun
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jahun »

Maybe I expressed myself wrong and thought too much of the long time it will take for things to adapt, content to be created and before the masses get interested (things like that take time..)

Alot of people have just purchased HD screens and may not switch to a new one soon.

That said, all is very dependant on content. Broadcast the top sports and hopefully the upcoming Hollywood movies in 3D on a dedicated channel and people may get interested. The 3D functionality of a screen should also be used to set it apart from competitors instead of a way to increase screen cost.

For 3D in general, Samsung and Mitsubishi screens at Wal-Mart (?) showing the 3D channel featuring immersive sports and movies... may finally incite the interest 3D definately deserves.

I see ALOT of potential and a future full of 3D.. Now 3D in general would benefit from the coverage Samsung and Mitsubishi are able to get.

edit:
Tril wrote:
Jahun wrote:Besides, usually people sit quite far away from their TV sets, reducing 3D effects (like immersion and pop out)
I think it's the opposite for pop out. From what I've seen with my S-3D passive dual projection system, the farther you sit from the screen, the farther from the screen the picture pops out toward you.
Well, not really. Relative to you the pop out will be the same, if it was at 50% between you and the screen, it will stay that way. So it may come further out of the screen yes, but not be closer to you. The downside to that, is that your viewing cone when viewing a TV set is quite small (well besides the very few that have the biggest TV sets). So yes pop out would become far out of the screen but in effect oddly distorting the image. It would be way more perfect to have a big viewing cone before pop out becomes huge (ALOT less edge problems too).. A 3D cinema would have this effect..

Then still the effect may be very cool ofcourse, just saying that there is a strong interdependance between alot of things that may not be perfect. (A function in the 3D screen to adjust convergence would be cute to balance these things a bit perhaps)

Tril wrote:The Mitsubishi products are promising. We need solutions that don't compromise the quality of the picture. That's what mitsubishi is proposing if you compare to a pc using shutter glasses and a CRT monitor.

It's a step in the right direction but I still feel like it's not a perfect solution because it requires powered glasses and because of the loss of brightness. It's annoying to have a wire coming out of wired glasses and it's annoying to have to replace batteries in unwired glasses. Correct me if I'm wrong (anyone) but I think that the brightness of a DLP TV can be higher than a the brightness of CRT monitor so the brightness should be fine with shutterglasses.
In my view still the polarised glasses are the best. I imagine a IZ3D style of producing a polarised viewing experience. Yes the other ways are easier to implement with just slight increased costs, but the IZ3D type of way would allow us to just wear thin, light, trendy glasses. Instead of bulkier things.
Tril wrote:
article wrote:?and unlike polarized lenses they do not cause eye strain and headaches, which is what most people complain about with red/green glasses,? Naranjo said.
Is it true that polarized lenses cause eyestrain? I have some doubts about that. Does anyone has any source to prove or refute that?
No clue what that's about. They are also oddly comparing polarised with red/green. Quite the difference. I don't know why polarised would give more eye strain and headaches.. My guess is that that is just untrue.
Last edited by Jahun on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Polarizing causes eyestrain? If i have eyestrain when playing in stereo on my passive setup it mostly caused by excessive use of convergence/separation. If i turn up those settings way too much the eyestrain is a fact. It might not be the eye itself that hurts. It could as well be the brain which get confused and causes aching eyes. Sounds funny, i know. :lol: Just a theory though. Playing stereo is fine for at least 11-12 hours in a row. Ask me and some of my friends. After that we had to get some sleep. hehe

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
nathansteinke

Post by nathansteinke »

I'm glad to see the 3-D HDTV, hoping that it will make people more aware
that 3-D does exist and there's more opportunity to see what consumers
like and don't like about 3-D technology and/or what makes it accessible
so that people will buy it.
-Nate
sharky

Post by sharky »

what i think is that people just don't know enough... personally i think that samsung and mitsubishi need the gaming industry to make theyr products explode. gaming industry is the cheapest way to make stereoscopy be popular. and a lot (fortunately not all) of over-50 don't understand anything about tecnology and thats why they give such things in the handy of theyr sons. i man if i understand that 3D is cool, and my parents tell me "buy a new tv" then i probably go for a 3D tv if the product is stable enough. i prsonally think that we are now the center of this whole ammount of informations.. if we would for example give up now, than the informations would spread really much slower and the whole process would have some problems.. the fact is that if we have informed trough forums, advertising expos and so on around 5000 ppl then those 5000 people have informed much more people and so on.. what we are doing here is prepare the filed for all the other companies wich will profit from this by selling theyr products. so i think that as long as we are here there is a big possibility for the whole project to take off how it should, if we give up, then someby else will take our place..

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Return to “MTBS Editorial User Remarks”