mainstream 3D LCD monitors are coming !!!

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

mainstream 3D LCD monitors are coming !!!

Post by ssiu »

The Taiwanese LCD panel manufacturers are on board !!! Check out this article (only viewable freely until Aug 23): http://digitimes.com/displays/a20070820PD208.html

Quote from article: Taiwan panel makers such as CMO and CPT have already developed 3D LCD panels with CMO set to volume produce 22-inch 3D panels in the third quarter while CPT's 20.1-inch widescreen panel has gained attention from first-tier display vendors, according to sources. CT (Chun-Ting) Liu, AUO VP & GM of Consumer Product Display Operation, commented that 3D displays will be widely used in the game market first ... (end quote)

For S-3D gaming to take off we need 3 ingredients: display, driver, games. IZ3D monitors are great, but the reality is it is an expensive niche product, not enough by itself to push S-3D to mainstream. But this news is huge. This will provide enough volumes and will lead to mainstream pricing (there will be a premium at first, but should be much less than the $1000 IZ3D price). This will provide the critical mass and positive momentum that will convince the driver and game developers to come on board.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Sounds prommising.
Everything that brings S-3D to mainstream, helps to make games more compatible - and drivers :wink:

A little competition in the 3D screen market results in lower prices for us consumers.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

This is good news...and old news. :D

CMO or Chi-Mei is a business partner of iZ3D, and when CMO is talking about 3D monitors, they are talking about iZ3D monitors. You can't have one without the other. This relationship hasn't been well publicized, and I think it's a good sign that iZ3D has the workings of a well established infrastructure and game plan.

Yes, with continued industry success, and as home S-3D solutions become more popular and compatible with video games (i.e. MTBS certified :wink: ), they will come down in price - and that goes for everyone! :P

Regards,
Neil
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Oh I see ... I thought iZ3D itself did the "put 2 LCD panels together plus necessary modifications" stuff ... didn't know it is done by the Taiwanese supplier.

Still, the "CPT's 20.1-inch widescreen panel has gained attention from first-tier display vendors" is an interesting new tidbit. iZ3D cannot be called a "first-tier display vendor" so somebody else is interested. And what about drivers? Will this first-tier vendor develop its own S-3D driver, or license from iZ3D, or pay NVIDIA/ATI to develop driver, or ... ?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

I don't have all the answers. :wink:

iZ3D was formerly known as Neruok Optics. With the success of their monitor, they changed the company name to iZ3D LLC. Like any new company with patented technology, they got a partner involved with deep pockets to bring their technology to the next level - in this case CMO. Now iZ3D is a formed partnership with iZ3D people and CMO people.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”