BURN BURN BURN!!!

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

BURN BURN BURN!!!

Post by sharky »

Hi guys.. in the youtube thread i posted this video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/756433/la ... ight_hack/

i decided to try to build one... went into a computer shop, asked for damaged dvd burners and got 2 for free...

it definetly works! not good like in the clip but it works.. i was able to melt plastic with a laser...

:)

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Be careful with that. It's dangerous for the eyes. Watch out for pointing on metal objects that could refect the beam toward your eyes.
Lucky
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lucky »

Tril wrote:Be careful with that. It's dangerous for the eyes. Watch out for pointing on metal objects that could refect the beam toward your eyes.
I think it might be too late.... his eyes are already gone and he can't read your post. :lol:
sharky

Post by sharky »

well its dangerous bt not like the one in the video. the one in the video uses a special housing wich keeps the beam focussed for soem meters. mine stats with a biger beam and keeps it focussed for only 5 cm. after that the beam becomes large and is not dangerous. but anyway i am VERY careful with this.

:)

bye
sharky

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yep, got curious and i had to try! lol. Had an old dvd-burner and an unused laserpointer. hehe. The effect is quite big after tinkering with it. But as Sharky said: Nothing real close to the vid. I managed to burn paper (where there was black text) and make some plastic smoke a little. Had an idea of a light effect with a dc-motor from the burner+a small mirror attached to it. It did work. I had a nice circle on my wall for a moment before the mirror fell off the engine. lol. it was fun anyway. Now the laserdiode is fried and the fun no more lol.
Beware if you try do it yourself. The beam is VERY dangerous for the eyes! It might not be enough to point it away from you. If it reflects from something it might harm anyway.

Cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
sharky

Post by sharky »

buahhahahahahhaha your a crazy guy... :D it was pretty funny following your work in msn.. :D

by the way i ordered some lasers from aixiz the ones shown on the clip. maybe with they you can have a smaller laserpoint and get stronger results.... ill try as soon as they arrive. i already unmounted a second burner (sony 16X burner) and just need the lenses.. hopefully they come soon... :D

bye

sharky

Return to “General Discussion”