New to 3d, what are my options?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
november
One Eyed Hopeful

New to 3d, what are my options?

Post by november »

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of 3d glasses for a long time and now I finally have the hardware and glasses, but it seems that nVidia let us all down with their drivers. Now here are my specs:

GTX280, 185.20 Drivers atm.
X-Force 3D Shutter Glasses
Win XP 32bit
Sony FW900 CRT

Now what are my options considering the drivers? I have already tried iz3d and eDimensional. So far I have not found anything from nVidia and what I've read there aren't stereo drivers at the moment for gt200 series gpu (or stereo drivers working with gpu drivers supporting higher than GeForce 8-series).

iz3d drivers work fantastic, only problem is that they require steady 150fps (running at 150hz) to function. Anything below that causes glasses go out of sync of course. Is there any way to fix this? As with edimensional, they seem to work fine with constantly fluctuating fps (they do kill the fps though, unlike iz3d) but only allow interlaced mode. Is there any way to run them in "page-flip" mode (if those are the right terms)?

I hear that nvidia has more recent stereo drivers for Vista, would those work? I did install old nVidia stereo drivers and they show up in control panel, but also totally crash the game (bluescreen), so no luck with that, except that they do allow to choose from list of different type of rendering method, including shutters.

What can I do? iz3d drivers are fine with the older games, but keeping steady 150fps or over is difficult with most games. Any suggestions, thanks!

E: ok I read some other topics again (stupid me, should have made that sure first). So nVidia is ruled out and there is no way to get iz3d work properly with lower framerate. But what about eDimensional? Is there a way to get other but interlaced picture?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New to 3d, what are my options?

Post by Likay »

Are you able to have a framerate below 150Hz? At those times i was running shutters/crt i was satisfied with 85 hz. Ok, it flickers a bit but should help a lot!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
november
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by november »

OMG this is too awesome! Ok I found a way around, sort of. I just finished playing CoD4 with iz3d drivers in interlaced mode and I must say I'm deeply impressed! Interlaced does look kinda bad, but I found 2048x1152@100hz to be a very good compromise between quality and smoothness. I could use even lower refresh and still be ok with interlaced. Page flip definitely needs at least 120hz (1280x720@150hz is beyond anyones idea of perfect I believe). Awesome thing about CRTs is that you can squeeze and stretch the image as much as you want and as long as game offers manual fov setting you can use any resolution you like.

In interlaced mode shutter glasses (even with iz3d drivers, but that's the whole point of interlaced, right?) stay synced no matter what framerate and I found even quite low fps (I'm extremely sensitive to low fps) to be very enjoyable.

So far the spent 9.99$ has had absolutely stunning effect on gaming, much thanks to the awesome Sony FW900 widescreen monitor.

Now the final question: Is the iz3d monitor better than this 24" trinitron and shutter glasses?

PS. Someone should write up-to-date beginners guide to shutter glasses, at least I couldn't find much help myself.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

Here's a suggestion which may be wacky.

With the SONY FW900 and other Trinitron monitors the phosphor stripes run vertically.

There may be a way to recover the detail lost on the screen due to interleaving.

Subject to horizontal scan rate limitations of your monitor, there is no reason not to double the vertical resolution of your monitor using the nvidia control panel settings.

This method may allow you to display the lines ordinarily lost to interleaving.

I would try a basic setting of 1280 x 1920 x 85 Hz in landscape mode and see if that works.

Otherwise just find a compromise setting with the vertical resolution until you are able to get some decent output.

Good luck !!! :lol:

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”