Rise of the Tomb Raider 3D Fix Manager fix needs some love (I can't get it to work)...

P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Rise of the Tomb Raider 3D Fix Manager fix needs some love (I can't get it to work)...

Post by P.C.Zen »

As per the title.

Trying to install 3D wrapper for DX 12, I get the error message "Install Failed. Check Install Path".

Launching Rise of the Tomb Raider in DX11 with 3D Fix Manager, after installing the patch:

...If I enable 3D in the pop-up then click "Play", it just launches to a black screen.

...If I click "Play" on the pop-up (to get to the menu screen before enabling 3D) after a second or two after entering the menu screen it freezes with a rapid audio loop.

Also, I clicked through the links in the fix notes and rolled my version of the game back to 610.01 but this removed the option to enable 3D, so, I'm guessing those instructions have been superseded at this point?

I also downloaded the fix file from http://3dsurroundgaming.com/3DVision/RO ... r3DFix.rar but looking at the notes I can't imagine I'd ever be able to get this fix working and there's no "Read Me" or other instructions in the folder.

I'm just hoping there's an easy solution using 3D Fix Manager that I've missed, or that something has broken the fix and that it can be repaired without too much trouble?

Edit: Okay, so...I have no idea how, but I actually had the 3D working earlier. I went through some combination of clicks that actually had it working. I just assumed I was playing the native 3D and that I'd have a better experience with the fix, so I ran through all of the the install options to get the info for this post and now I can't get the 3D back. :0/

Edit: Apologies if I seem a bit off today; my depression hit me quite badly today. :0/ I'm re-downloading RotTR and going to see if I can get the 3D back up.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 3D Fix Manager fix needs some love (I can't get it to work)...

Post by P.C.Zen »

I've got what I think is probably the native 3D working again...?

It doesn't look that great but I think I need to turn the shadows off.

If someone has the solution for how to get the fix working it'd be really appreciated.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider 3D Fix Manager fix needs some love (I can't get it to work)...

Post by Lysander »

I played this game like back in May/June and I don't think I applied the fix - this game supports 3D natively and looked fabulous, no issues - you just select the option in the game. You don't need to disable shadows. My recommendation would be to remove the fix, disable 3D fix manager and try the native 3D mode - it's possible you have too many things going on and they're conflicting.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

I guess, although I was hoping to use the fix, as from the notes it seems they improved things a lot and the native 3D didn't look that great to me. Also I was hoping to be able to adjust 3D depth and convergence.

I switched from playing RotTR to The Turing Test hoping someone might post with a solution in the meantime. I really really want to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but I just can't bear to play it without the community fix. :oops:
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

hmmm, this is surprising to me, because i thought it looked really, really good. You can adjust depth/convergence in the game menu - and I'd say it's on par with some of the best 3D games, in fact, IMO the entire TR series is one of the top 3D experiences, with Shadow taking the trophy in my books (the jungle is just so immersive). So I really don't know what else you're looking for :( Did you enjoy the 1st TR? Did you try Shadow?
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Lysander wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:12 pm hmmm, this is surprising to me, because i thought it looked really, really good. You can adjust depth/convergence in the game menu - and I'd say it's on par with some of the best 3D games, in fact, IMO the entire TR series is one of the top 3D experiences, with Shadow taking the trophy in my books (the jungle is just so immersive). So I really don't know what else you're looking for :( Did you enjoy the 1st TR? Did you try Shadow?
Hey :0)

I didn't have 3D when I played the first Tomb Raider re-boot and I don't have Shadow of the Tomb Raider in my library yet, it's still too expensive, so not been able to test them, although I am just now downloading the SotTR demo, so might be able to get it working with 3D Vision.

As for what I'm looking for? I guess I just want to play it with the Helix Mod secret sauce ;)
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

So perhaps you are looking for something that doesn't exist, lol? What games have you played in 3DV? Like I said, TR series is some of the best 3D, it doesn't get much better than that.
With Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it's a better-looking game but there's more tinkering if you want to run it in DX12. DX12 and DX11 are quite similar visually but DX12 offers better performance if you have the supported hardware. Try DX11 - in the options, uncheck DX12, check Exclusive Fullscreen and set Stereoscopic to ON - I believe it should work out of the box as well. Try the benchmark, if you like it, leave it at DX11, otherwise go through this thread on how to run in DX12:

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=23410
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

The fact that you launch in a black screen might tell that you are using an old 3DFM version. Drivers beyond 425.31 require a driver hack which was introduced in 3DFM 1.76. Current 3DFM version is 1.77.

Just use tha latest game version and in ROTTR launcher enable stereoscopic 3D option. The 3D fix of Masterotaku is not required. The game looks fantastic in 3D out of the box!

I would use the DX11 profile for ROTTR - DX12 3D might not work on all graphics cards / Windows versions etc....
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Lysander wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:53 amWith Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it's a better-looking game but there's more tinkering if you want to run it in DX12...
Thanks; it's probably going to be a while before I play SotTR but I'll make a note of the link; thanks so much. It'd be cool to get the DirectX 12 fix running with RotTR for the extra frames but 3DFM's just giving me an error message telling me I need to check the install path. :?
Pauldusler wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:20 pm The fact that you launch in a black screen might tell that you are using an old 3DFM version. Drivers beyond 425.31 require a driver hack which was introduced in 3DFM 1.76. Current 3DFM version is 1.77.

Just use tha latest game version and in ROTTR launcher enable stereoscopic 3D option. The 3D fix of Masterotaku is not required. The game looks fantastic in 3D out of the box!

I would use the DX11 profile for ROTTR - DX12 3D might not work on all graphics cards / Windows versions etc....
To be honest, at this point I'm not sure what's up with it? I have 1.77 installed and I'm on Win10 1809, so I used DDU to scrub the driver and reinstalled 425.31 and RotTR launched without crashing; just the convergence needed adjusting in the menu; but then I switched from my 1440p monitor to my 1080p monitor for the higher frame rate and it crashed at launch again. I ended up shutting my PC down and turning off my 1440p monitor to force everything on to the 1080p monitor and it worked again...

...so many variables I'm not sure what to tell you? On one hand it worked immediately after I rolled the driver back but on the other, it froze again when I tried to switch monitors. It's possible there might have previously been a conflict with how I'd switched things around in display settings (I've been switching between monitors to get readings on CPU, GPU and frame rates etc. and the process of using DDU forced my 1080p monitor back as the primary monitor) but it could be two different issues. It doesn't seem anyone else is reporting this problem so it could just be specific to my setup.

As for DX12, I can't get it to install the fix at all. The install button is generally grayed out. I tried clicking "Play 3D" to try and force installation of the DX 12 fix but it just launched the game. When I quit out, it then lets me click "Install 3D Fix" for DX 12 but when I click it I get the error message "Install Failed. Check Install Path".

At the moment I've got the DX 11 fix working but it would be cool to be able to play it in DX 12 for the extra frames. No idea if my setup's compatible for DX 12 however. I'm playing on a Titan RTX I bought from someone panic selling on eBay during the 3000 series launch. I couldn't tell you if it has conflicts with DX 12 but I'd assume it wouldn't have?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

So for Rise, in my testing, DX12 gave me less frames in the 1st benchmark area but more in the other two. Depending on your setup, it might actually be detrimental. I wouldn't worry about it too much for Rise - the DX11 experience was phenomenal, and I even played it with my old i5 2500k. There's no visual difference. And like we've already said, you don't need any fixes, just set it up in the game menu and it will work.

It's Shadow where DX12 makes a significant difference for the better, but you can worry about that later and with high-end PC you might not even need it anyway.

Just saw you have a 2080 Ti (compatible with DX12) - in which case you don't really need to worry about performance, especially in Rise - you should be good even at 4K. Just play it in DX11, man. Adjust the covnergence/depth and enjoy!
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Lysander wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:10 pm So for Rise, in my testing, DX12 gave me less frames in the 1st benchmark area but more in the other two. Depending on your setup, it might actually be detrimental. I wouldn't worry about it too much for Rise - the DX11 experience was phenomenal, and I even played it with my old i5 2500k. There's no visual difference. And like we've already said, you don't need any fixes, just set it up in the game menu and it will work.

It's Shadow where DX12 makes a significant difference for the better, but you can worry about that later and with high-end PC you might not even need it anyway.

Just saw you have a 2080 Ti (compatible with DX12) - in which case you don't really need to worry about performance, especially in Rise - you should be good even at 4K. Just play it in DX11, man. Adjust the covnergence/depth and enjoy!
Thanks for the info. it's most appreciated. :0)

I just upgraded to a 10600k so I'm good for CPU, it's just the eye candy / frame rate balance I'm interested in.

If it's not deemed worth fixing I guess DX 11 must be good enough? Either way it doesn't seem it's worth waiting for a DX 12 fix, although I'm probably going to play through the Wolfenstein series before coming back to RotTR so who knows, although you really seem to think it makes no difference and might actually have worse performance than DX 11?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Yes, like I said, in Rise, DX12 performed worse in some cases.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Lysander wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:24 am Yes, like I said, in Rise, DX12 performed worse in some cases.
Okay, cool. Maybe that's why it's fallen into disrepair.

The more I think about the issues I had with the DX 11 fix the more I think it was probably a problem with my particular setup. I didn't think to do so at the time but I could have tried to replicate both crashes, the black screen freeze and the menu freeze; if I could replicate both since installing 425.31 then it would be more likely (almost certain?) that it wasn't the driver issue but rather possibly some kind of conflict with the screen order/designation.

It doesn't seem like a very widespread issue however...? ...so, not sure if there'd be much value in me trying to replicate the crashes to identify a potential conflict?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

No, I don't think a lot of people had issues with Rise, since it works natively.

If you didn't play too many 3D games, I would recommend grabbing Trine series at https://www.humblebundle.com/store/trin ... owerfunnel
it's a good sale and the games are 3D showcase.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Lysander wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:08 amIf you didn't play too many 3D games, I would recommend grabbing Trine series at https://www.humblebundle.com/store/trin ... owerfunnel
it's a good sale and the games are 3D showcase.
I was quite late to the party (I received my first (second hand) 3D Vision kit on the morning of the day that Nvidia dumped their 3D Vision forum into their Off-Topic thread) but the list of games I've played in 3D is growing steadily.

Thanks for the recommendation; I must say I played one of the Trine demos and did enjoy it and was thinking about picking Trine 4 up in a steam sale. I didn't know there was a fix for it.

As for the problems I was experiencing with RotTR, I think, if my experiences are anything to go by, that it could very well be caused by some kind of conflict with my duel monitor setup...but to be honest I've not run enough tests to rule out basic coincidence. If it were a bigger issue I could try and replicate the crashes to try and identify at leas the conditions under which the glitch occurs but it doesn't seem like there's much call for it.

I guess to anyone currently following this thread, or potentially finding this thread in the future, I'd suggest (if they have a dual monitor setup) booting up with one monitor turned off to force everything through one screen and seeing if they can then launch the game successfully with the fix installed. Also, the DX11 fix is working for me under Win10 1809 with driver 425.31, but switching screens / running two monitors seems to be causing crashing issues.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

P.C.Zen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:39 pm As for DX12, I can't get it to install the fix at all. The install button is generally grayed out. I tried clicking "Play 3D" to try and force installation of the DX 12 fix but it just launched the game. When I quit out, it then lets me click "Install 3D Fix" for DX 12 but when I click it I get the error message "Install Failed. Check Install Path".
The install button is grayed out because we have no DX12 wrappers / fixes.

I cannot get the DX12 version to work either any more. It seems incompatible to any RTX 2000 series graphics card. On GTX 1080 it worked.
P.C.Zen
Cross Eyed!

Post by P.C.Zen »

Pauldusler wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 am
P.C.Zen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:39 pm As for DX12, I can't get it to install the fix at all. The install button is generally grayed out. I tried clicking "Play 3D" to try and force installation of the DX 12 fix but it just launched the game. When I quit out, it then lets me click "Install 3D Fix" for DX 12 but when I click it I get the error message "Install Failed. Check Install Path".
The install button is grayed out because we have no DX12 wrappers / fixes.

I cannot get the DX12 version to work either any more. It seems incompatible to any RTX 2000 series graphics card. On GTX 1080 it worked.
Okay, no worries, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure what was up with it. I thought it might be a simple fix, or something I wasn't doing correctly.

I'm just going to play the DX11 version. ;) :0)
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

I'm not getting a boost with dx12 in this game. In Shadow of the TR their was a significant boost with dx12 though. But this is with native HSBS. So no 3d vision needed.

This game started giving me other serious problems that prohibits me from recording:
ROTTR artefacts.png
Can someone please tell me why I'm getting these artifacts and how I could get rid of them? I want to record with native frame sequential 3d enabled and not native HSBS. I've already tried everything i could with DDU.

It has something to do with the red text that is showing when using an unsupported display. I've deactivated this overlay with 3d Fix Manager but these artifacts started to pop up. This only started happening recently. It used to work before. Older drivers also giving me the same results. I can still enjoy this through Helix Vision but since Shadow play records the monitor and not the HMD I cant get anymore footage of this game :( :( :(
HelixVision as I understand grabs the rendered images before the 3d overlay is applied. Could there be a bug here somewhere? If I could record what I see in the HMD the problem wouldn't bother me but I don't know of any such software...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

anyone know which build of the game supports 3d? newest one has steoscopic on greyed out. can only do SBS.
aofelix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by aofelix »

So for anyone wondering, just roll back 2-3 versions on the BETA slider on Steam and it works with 3D vision
MaestroRoedor
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaestroRoedor »

I deleted the sottr profile on nvidia profile inspector and added it to Rottr profile and saved changes.
Then with no 3dfix installed i open the game launcher and changed settings to fullscreen and also exclusive fullscreen with dx12 off, that makes it possible to select Stereoscopic on and not side by side also try to change the fps to 120 or whatever is your setting, then hit ok to save settings. This is how it works for me and it looks gorgeous.
:woot
I have 2080 super, windows 10 2004 build, nvidia driver 452.06 :woot
aelohin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aelohin »

I wanted to revive this in 2024, and I did it with DirectX 11, Full Screen, and nVivida driver 425.31, but the trick was to do it with the build 770.1 of the game. And yes no need for any extra fix, works directly. Tried in DirectX 12 and had no luck, I can't remember what combination of a driver with the game was the one that worked great, the worst part is that I think was like with a 419 something.. which is not compatible with Windows at least you can avoid those forced and forced updates...
(btw, windows version 21H2, OS build 19044.3086)

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”