DLP projector + Active Shutter Glasses + geForce 8800GT

markss9876
One Eyed Hopeful

DLP projector + Active Shutter Glasses + geForce 8800GT

Post by markss9876 »

Hi. I'm new to all this, and perhaps this question has been asked 1000 times. If so, please refer me to the correct link. I know this must be pretty basic. Thanks.

I would like to view 3-D DVD movie (one using the odd and even fields to display left and right images) projected with my DLP projector (Optoma HD 70). My computer has an nVidia GeForce 8800 GT video card. I have downloaded a geForce 3-D driver (in addition to having the correct driver for my 8800 GT card and Windows XP operating system).

I own ELSA and TERMINATOR wireless shutter glasses, and a pair of wired Shutter glasses (the type commonly known as LCS/LCD 3-D, shutter, field sequential, Interlaced etc).

I also have a copy of software called 3-D Movie Maker, freeware, which claims in the cryptic documentation that it will play back Active Shutter-type video.

I have my DLP projector hooked up to my computer's nVidia board's HDMI output.

Now I don't know what to do.

Forst, I assume that there must be some piece of hardware that I obtain to hook my glasses (or an infrared transmiitter) to my computer through either a USB port, or serial port ... ?

Then, how do I use the software to play the movie?

Or is there other, simpler software that I can download that will be as easy as using any typical DVD player program?

So essentially I have the "interlaced" 3-D DVD, I have the computer with DVD drive and nVidia 8800 GT card and the necessary two nVidia software apps, and I have the DLP projector hooked up with the lamp turned on. :-) But now I don't know what in the world I'm supposed to do to connect the Active Shutter glasses and actually play the movie.

Any help, step by step like I am a total moron, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Mark.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: DLP projector + Active Shutter Glasses + geForce 8800GT

Post by Tril »

Normally, you get a dongle with the glasses. It has two VGA connectors and a glasses connector. One VGA connector connects to the pc and the other to the monitor/projector. You would need to get such a dongle and use the VGA connector of the projector.

To my knowledge, there are no dongle that exist that are made to work with DVI or HDMI. Shutter glasses appeared years ago when the popular connector of the time was VGA. Nobody ever updated the dongle design to make DVI or HDMI dongles.

The HD 70 projector will most certainly only sync at 60 Hz and you will get a lot of flicker with shutter glasses.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well Only certain Projectors work with 3D. Check out this site here:

http://www.3dflightsim.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
markss9876
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by markss9876 »

Thanks. That is a GREAT link. Lots of info on the setup needed. I already have a $100 unit to view 3-D DVDs on a regular TV set that has a couple of active shutter glasses with it. Most of the web sites out there specializing in 3-D Home Theater try to sell you a whole system for $$$. But if you've already got the active glasses and a computer with an nVidia card, it seems as though the only extra items needed are the dongle ($9 on ebay) and the infrared plug-in ($3 on eBay). There is also a seemingly easy to use software package for $59 to turn the computer into a 3-D home theater ... although I suspect that the GeFore 3-D driver probably has a simple 3-D player as well.

Mark.

Return to “Stereoscopic 3D Hardware Technical Support”