Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN 360Hz - fast IPS monitor for 3d vision finally?

treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN 360Hz - fast IPS monitor for 3d vision finally?

Post by treeeddd »

I just saw this review on the Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN 360Hz, it looks to be more than fast enough for 3dvision. Also, looks to have little to no overdrive ghosting. Still it's only 27 inches and one thousand dollars :shock: . I'm glad to see new lcd monitors finally having close to oled refresh rates, and having the higher brightness for the 3d glasses.

Just putting this out there in case any 3d vision enthusiast wants to check it out. The prices on these expensive monitors tends to drop rapidly in a couple of months due to no one buying them. Also, it looks like these faster panels will get implemented by other brands as well, and should be other types of panels that should be fast as well.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN 360Hz - fast IPS monitor for 3d vision finally?

Post by Lysander »

It’s not enough for a monitor to have fast refresh rate to work with 3d vision, unfortunately. The monitor has to be 3d vision-certified. There are plenty of 120Hz+ new monitors out there, unfortunately none seem to be compatible (to be fair, many probably were not tested and there’s a chance they could work via some hacks, but nobody wants to buy an unlicensed monitor blindly in hopes it will work).
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

No, 3d vision doesn't need a certified monitor work, it only need to be certified back in the day so customers know what to look for. Not all certified 3d visions worked equally well, the early ones weren't as good as the later ones that came out with the 3d vision 2 glasses.

So what's so exciting today in the monitor spaces is that these things are having faster refresh rates due to high end gaming, where as before IPS and VA type monitors could never achieve the refresh rates of TN panels. Which happens to be what 3d vision works with because of the faster refresh rate. Unfortunately, the colors suck too much to compete with the other types of LCDs.

I've got into 3d vision back in the day, but set it aside until these newer faster type of monitors started to appear on the market. I've also into monitor tech, which is why I've been excited to get back into 3d vision again. Someone on here tested a couple of newer monitors, including the samsung odyssey G7, which has the fastest refresh rate for a VA panel. So they got to partially work with 3d vision, with some custom edid 3d vision monitor drivers. So I was excited about the prospect, I tested it and it does work. It looks alot better than those TN panels certified for 3d vision. Unfortunately, due the monitor being weird it doesn't sync up with the glasses all the time. I got it to sync up well enough to play for some duration before the sync needs to be reset to the 3d glasses again.

The good thing is someone wrote a program to edit the sync timing of the 3d vision glasses to make it work with pretty much any monitor monitor that has a fast enough refresh rate for 3d vision to work without crosstalk. So it's definitely doable, I'm looking forward to testing other monitors that have a fast enough refresh rate to make it work. Also having a good black frame insertion is important as well, unless the monitor is fast enough to work without it like the odyssey G7. I'm looking towards an lg C2 for 3d vision, but it unfortunately doesn't have BFI at 120hz like the C1 did, and I haven't heard of anyone make it work either. I've heard of some getting the C1 working partially, so there is some hope that these newer oled monitors could work as well. They are just too expensive however to test, have to wait until the prices come down.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

treeeddd wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:17 am ...and I haven't heard of anyone make it work either. I've heard of some getting the C1 working partially, so there is some hope that these newer oled monitors could work as well. They are just too expensive however to test, have to wait until the prices come down.
Exactly my point.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
DugomFirst
Cross Eyed!

Post by DugomFirst »

Use my Rabbit test to qualify the quality. ; )
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

Anyhow, I'm just excited that there's going to be better monitors that can do 3d vision very well soon, even though isn't certified (because 3d vision isn't a thing anymore). 3d media content is still going strong, and why not, playing in 3D is obviously the best immersive experience you can have for gaming.

I'm just more so into the display tech, rather than 3d vision itself, because it's the display that's going to make the 3d look good. And the monitor tech right now is the most exciting it's ever been. Alot of gamers are excited too, and they only play games in 2D!
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

I'm not sure where you are getting this idea it's going to work with 3dvision. I might be wrong but I haven't seen many people have much success with monitors that aren't 3dvision certified, and it's an IPS.
I do hope you are right however.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Post by treeeddd »

I'm not sure where you are getting this idea it's going to work with 3dvision
It's actually not very hard to get any monitor to work with 3d vision, with EDID 3d vision drivers and CRU. Adjusting the timing of the 3d glasses with a custom utility make it possible to get a working 3d image. Then it all comes down to the performance of the monitor.

To get a nice 3d image without crosstalk requires fast pixel response times to match the shutter speed of the 3d glasses. Some implementations such as BFI helps to reduce the crosstalk, which is the same method used in 3d vision compatible monitors. Just in the last 2 years, lcd manufacturers have been making faster gaming monitors. Inadvertently creating a more capable working 3d vision monitor in the process. IPS panels were almost fast enough, but samsungs odyssey G7 was faster than some of the TN monitors used for 3d vision. I've tested this, it a nice step up in 3d image at 32inch. But due to some strangeness with the monitor, it doesn't like to sync up with the 3d glasses nicely like other monitors. What amazing is no BFI is needed to cut down on the crosstalk, but the brightness reaches at about 320nits fullscreen.

The Asus pg27aqn is the first of it's kind to be implement. And I'm sure other manufacturers will be able use the same panel and add more features to it like BFI. This IPS panel seems to be more than fast enough to make a good 3d image, and it does get even brighter too. The 3d image is going to be very good in motion too due to the faster pixel response times, and with little to no image ghosting.

There are oled monitors now, but they don't have the brightness nor BFI to make the 3d magic sauce.

I think in 2023, there's going to be a lot of new faster monitors coming out. And waiting for them to come down in price, monitor pricing is getting out of hand these days. Why do they set the prices so high, just to cut them in half in a couple a months because no one is buying them? Especially when these monitors don't have any QC to speak of.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”