Katanga alternative, Artum's Geo11 VR Screen Cap added to the Geo11 Mod Manager

samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Katanga alternative, Artum's Geo11 VR Screen Cap added to the Geo11 Mod Manager

Post by samfisherirl »

Not affiliated with Geo11 creation team, or artumino and his VRScreenCap. This app loads and manages geo11 installs, as well as the vr screen cap tool. On game launch from a specific shortcut, the geo11 files will swap with the games dlls, keeping them safe.

Cool new GUI update - 81722, made a gui for the VR Screen cap app. Change scale, curve on the fly.

https://github.com/samfisherirl/Artum-VR_Screen_Cap-Gui

https://i.imgur.com/xalb6cc.mp4

Download: https://github.com/samfisherirl/Artum-VR_Screen_Cap-Gui

https://github.com/artumino/VRScreenCap Artumino's great release provides a similar and consistant vr experience. He has added config for curve and zoom which I will add to the menu UI over the weekend.

Download: https://github.com/samfisherirl/Geo11_Mod_Manager
Last edited by samfisherirl on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:34 am, edited 16 times in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Katanga alternative, Artum's Geo11 VR Screen Cap added to the Geo11 Mod Manager

Post by 3DNovice »

It's nice to see credit being given in your app, but davegl1234 is the main developer of Geo-11 AFAIK with bo3b collaborating
Also Geo-11 would not exist if it wasn't for Heklixmod (Helix) or 3DMigoto(bo3b, DSS, others)

BTW, your app looks awesome

This app will take the Geo11 files such as dxd11.dll and move to a "geo" folder in the game's directory. It will also launch HelixVision/Kananga/VirtualDesktop as an option.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Katanga alternative, Artum's Geo11 VR Screen Cap added to the Geo11 Mod Manager

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks for this.
WMR Users Disclaimer -- VRScreenCap

This application uses Vulkan as its backend. To the best of my knowledge WMR still doesn't support OpenXR Vulkan applications so this one won't work out of the box for you. You can try to run VR Screen Cap through projects like OpenXR-Vk-D3D12 but I can't guarantee It'll work.
Edit:
Tried with suggested OpenXR-Vk-D3D12, however only get black inside Reverb G2 headset.

Advice appreciated. Have opened issue here: https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Vk-D3D12/issues/1
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
BazzaLB
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BazzaLB »

I have a steamVR headset (Vive Pro) and whilst I would get an image in my headset, it then immediately froze whilst the game was still running perfectly fine. It uses OpenXR and I run OpenXR toolkit in order to enable "Fixed Foveated Rendering" on most of my sims in VR so I disabled OpenXR Toolkit for "ScreenCapVR" to make sure that wasn't part of the issue. No dice. Screen looked great.. just frozen.
11900K/3080 - Vive Pro - Sony 3DTV
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Reply from developer of OpenXR-Vk-D3D12
Hello,

I have downloaded v0.1.0 of this application from here: https://github.com/artumino/VRScreenCap ... /tag/0.1.0

I have tested it with:

Oculus Quest 2
SteamVR OpenXR runtime

Both of these OpenXR runtimes natively support Vulkan (ie: can be trusted). I get black screen for both.

As far as I can tell, the issue is not with OpenXR-Vk-D3D12, since the app is giving me a black screen with 2 fully qualified OpenXR runtimes.

Please contact the developer of that application.
-- Created an issue on VRScreenCap github.
https://github.com/artumino/VRScreenCap/issues/9
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Update: It works!

I clean installed the game, the fix, geo-11; then made manual changes to the .ini files to the point where a TaB image shows in screen as when Katanga works.

Issue is with the shortcut created by geo-11 mod manager - it launched Visage in SBS mode, even though d3dxdm.ini says Katanga_VR.

Manually launching game and manually launching VRScreenCap app fixes the issue.

Only problem now is that the screen is very washed out - blacks are very light gray. Have updated issue on github.

If I exit VRScreenCap and open Katanga instead, colours are perfect...
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:28 am Update: It works!

I clean installed the game, the fix, geo-11; then made manual changes to the .ini files to the point where a TaB image shows in screen as when Katanga works.

thank you for the feedback, its defninitely rough around the edges, ill work out the kinks. keep the feedback coming

3DNovice wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 ambo3b credit
same to you, ill give appropriate credit on my next update. thank yoU!
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:28 am Update: It works!

Issue is with the shortcut created by geo-11 mod manager - it launched Visage in SBS mode, even though d3dxdm.ini says Katanga_VR.

Manually launching game and manually launching VRScreenCap app fixes the issue.

Only problem now is that the screen is very washed out - blacks are very light gray. Have updated issue on github.

If I exit VRScreenCap and open Katanga instead, colours are perfect...
keep in mind, the actual ini file is in the /geo/ folder within the game;'s directory. If you edit the ini file in the games directory and then use the shortcut generated, its swapping ini files from that fold.er

My (personal) experiences and a couple oothers have been katanga's massive draw on resources reducing frame rate to a degree that is tough to bare. While katanga is very well built with on controller bindings and such, I would love any tweaks you would recommend. Running on a decent system so Im not bottlenecking.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

samfisherirl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:51 pm keep in mind, the actual ini file is in the /geo/ folder within the game;'s directory. If you edit the ini file in the games directory and then use the shortcut generated, its swapping ini files from that fold.er

My (personal) experiences and a couple oothers have been katanga's massive draw on resources reducing frame rate to a degree that is tough to bare. While katanga is very well built with on controller bindings and such, I would love any tweaks you would recommend. Running on a decent system so Im not bottlenecking.
OK, let's clarify a few things here- You and everyone else, are absolutely wrong about the performance of Katanga, and I would really appreciate it if you all could stop spreading misinformation. I regret adding experimental VR support in geo-11 now, because it's just made a bad situation worse because literally no one appears to be able to configure this properly. Which is a big part of HelixVision itself- configuring it for people who don't understand the details. I should have just waited.

I've heavily profiled Katanga, and the UnityApp+SteamVR takes roughly 20% of a GTX 1080ti. SteamVR by itself will take roughly 10% of a 1080ti when drawing the simplest possible output of the empty scene with circles on the ground and distant mountains. So that means Katanga itself takes about 10% of a 1080ti. Helifax has direct output to VR out of the game, which gets him a bump of 7-8% of GPU. And that also means that the true overhead for running a game and being able to see it is roughly 12% of a 1080ti GPU. So can we agree that 8% of a 1080ti is not "a massive draw on resources"?

If you have a better GPU than I do- anyone with something like a 3080 or better should have Double my performance, which would make the Katanga overhead at 4% of your GPU. If you think that is an excessive drain, you are definitely doing it wrong, because 4% of a 3080 is not going to magically double your frame rates.

When running in VR- you absolutely need to leave GPU headroom for the VR app and SteamVR itself. People who are naive are leaving vsync turned off, which means that the games will run at full blast, with screen tearing, and suck down every available GPU cycle to show frames you can't see. If you don't have a frame limiter of some form your experience will be bad- and this doesn't have anything to do with Katanga using too many resources.

The easiest and best frame limiter to use is built into the NVidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings->Max Frame Rate. Set that to 1/2 of your HMD frequency and suddenly your Katanga experience will be smooth and amazing. This is part of what HelixVision does automatically, and that people are missing using the katanga shortcuts. I figured modders would have a clue here, but apparently not. You can set that frame rate limit to whatever makes sense for your gear. You want to leave yourself with somewhere around 5% GPU headroom. If it's tapping out at max, then the VR environment running in the background will stall and give you stutters. If you have a powerful rig, you can possibly run 1:1 frame rates for the game:hmd frequency. Also depends heavily upon the game, and our experience is that there are nearly zero DX11 games that can run at full HMD rate, although geo-11 may have changed that equation in our favor.

There are lots of way to blow it on performance, including cranking your SuperSampling to some stupid value. Anything above 150% on a Vive Pro is wildly into diminishing returns. If you have a higher res HMD than that, you need even less SS.

You can set the game resolution to some stupid value for VR use. Anything above 1080p is a waste of pixels and performance, and you won't be able to see the difference. 1080p on a Vive Pro is in the diminishing returns category, and 720p is nearly identical.

You can add shaders and AA and crank up all kinds of stuff with other NVidia settings, turn the game up to 11, and add Reshade options. Katanga already has the best AA possible built in, the one used and shared by Oculus.

The key to a good VR experience is to balance your performance with the visuals. There is no free lunch. You can dream about Artum's magical new VR experience solving all problems, but if you set it up stupidly, you are going to get a crap experience there as well.

If you are solely focused on frame-rates in VR- you are blowing it. VR doesn't have anything to with frame-rates exactly, it has to do with frame-pacing. You want as smooth and consistent an experience as possible, and speed is only one factor. If you can pull 180 fps while nothing is happening, and it tanks to 75 fps when explosions happen- tha's a crap experience. And you'd be far better off to cap the frame rates so that you don't get these stalls.

If you set the frame rate of the game to cap at 60 fps, with a 90 Hz HMD, that will be a crap experience too, because with a 2:3 frame ratio you are going to have a nasty beat frequency for frames you see, where every 2 frames are the same, with one new. This will seem fine on short looks, but still feel weird over time. That's why we start with a cap at 45 by default- as the best balance between performance/latency and VR experience.

The important thing is to actually try to understand what is happening- blindly trashing Katanga is just stupid and lame, and it really pisses me off. Somehow you think I would just write a shitty app, not tune it, and ship that? Experiment. Learn. Are you all modders or not?
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

bo3bber wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:06 pm
samfisherirl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:51 pm keep in mind, the actual ini file is in the /geo/ folder within the game;'s directory. If you edit the ini file in the games directory and then use the shortcut generated, its swapping ini files from that fold.er

OK, let's clarify a few things here- You and everyone else, are absolutely wrong about the performance of Katanga, and I would really appreciate it if you all could stop spreading misinformation. I regret adding experimental VR support in geo-11 now, because it's just made a bad situation worse because literally no one appears to be able to configure this properly. Which is a big part of HelixVision itself- configuring it for people who don't understand the details. I should have just waited.

I've heavily profiled Katanga, and the UnityApp+SteamVR takes roughly 20% of a GTX 1080ti. SteamVR by itself will take roughly 10% of a 1080ti when drawing the simplest possible output of the empty scene with circles on the ground and distant mountains. So that means Katanga itself takes about 10% of a 1080ti. Helifax has direct output to VR out of the game, which gets him a bump of 7-8% of GPU. And that also means that the true overhead for running a game and being able to see it is roughly 12% of a 1080ti GPU. So can we agree that 8% of a 1080ti is not "a massive draw on resources"?

If you have a better GPU than I do- anyone with something like a 3080 or better should have Double my performance, which would make the Katanga overhead at 4% of your GPU. If you think that is an excessive drain, you are definitely doing it wrong, because 4% of a 3080 is not going to magically double your frame rates.

When running in VR- you absolutely need to leave GPU headroom for the VR app and SteamVR itself. People who are naive are leaving vsync turned off, which means that the games will run at full blast, with screen tearing, and suck down every available GPU cycle to show frames you can't see. If you don't have a frame limiter of some form your experience will be bad- and this doesn't have anything to do with Katanga using too many resources.

The easiest and best frame limiter to use is built into the NVidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings->Max Frame Rate. Set that to 1/2 of your HMD frequency and suddenly your Katanga experience will be smooth and amazing. This is part of what HelixVision does automatically, and that people are missing using the katanga shortcuts. I figured modders would have a clue here, but apparently not. You can set that frame rate limit to whatever makes sense for your gear. You want to leave yourself with somewhere around 5% GPU headroom. If it's tapping out at max, then the VR environment running in the background will stall and give you stutters. If you have a powerful rig, you can possibly run 1:1 frame rates for the game:hmd frequency. Also depends heavily upon the game, and our experience is that there are nearly zero DX11 games that can run at full HMD rate, although geo-11 may have changed that equation in our favor.

There are lots of way to blow it on performance, including cranking your SuperSampling to some stupid value. Anything above 150% on a Vive Pro is wildly into diminishing returns. If you have a higher res HMD than that, you need even less SS.

You can set the game resolution to some stupid value for VR use. Anything above 1080p is a waste of pixels and performance, and you won't be able to see the difference. 1080p on a Vive Pro is in the diminishing returns category, and 720p is nearly identical.

You can add shaders and AA and crank up all kinds of stuff with other NVidia settings, turn the game up to 11, and add Reshade options. Katanga already has the best AA possible built in, the one used and shared by Oculus.

The key to a good VR experience is to balance your performance with the visuals. There is no free lunch. You can dream about Artum's magical new VR experience solving all problems, but if you set it up stupidly, you are going to get a crap experience there as well.

If you are solely focused on frame-rates in VR- you are blowing it. VR doesn't have anything to with frame-rates exactly, it has to do with frame-pacing. You want as smooth and consistent an experience as possible, and speed is only one factor. If you can pull 180 fps while nothing is happening, and it tanks to 75 fps when explosions happen- tha's a crap experience. And you'd be far better off to cap the frame rates so that you don't get these stalls.

If you set the frame rate of the game to cap at 60 fps, with a 90 Hz HMD, that will be a crap experience too, because with a 2:3 frame ratio you are going to have a nasty beat frequency for frames you see, where every 2 frames are the same, with one new. This will seem fine on short looks, but still feel weird over time. That's why we start with a cap at 45 by default- as the best balance between performance/latency and VR experience.

The important thing is to actually try to understand what is happening- blindly trashing Katanga is just stupid and lame, and it really pisses me off. Somehow you think I would just write a shitty app, not tune it, and ship that? Experiment. Learn. Are you all modders or not?
man, this is a bummer. I think we have a misunderstanding.

I hear what you're saying. I spent dozens of hours putting together an app based off of katanga, at the last minute temporarily swap in this other persons vr screen cap. I definitely didnt have the goal of purposely spreading misinformation.

>>>>>This is part of what HelixVision does automatically, and that people are missing using the katanga shortcuts

I was under the impression helixvision wasnt being updated yet for geo11, so I've avoided it. If I was misinformed, I apologize. I have been told repeadely that it couldnt be updated for geo11 for at least 2-3 months. Thats the whole reason I built this app.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>blindly trashing Katanga is just stupid and lame, and it really pisses me off

replying to : katanga's massive draw on resources reducing frame rate to a degree that is tough to bare. While katanga is very well built with on controller bindings and such, I would love any tweaks you would recommend. Running on a decent system so Im not bottlenecking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If you are solely focused on frame-rates in VR- you are blowing it.

>>>>>You can set the game resolution to some stupid value for VR use. Anything above 1080p is a waste of pixels and performance, and you won't be able to see the difference. 1080p on a Vive Pro is in the diminishing returns category, and 720p is nearly identical.

I've been a fan for a long time, finally stepped in and thought I could contibute. I didnt intend on making you feel like I was shitting on katanga. I know Im not the only one who has had trouble with it, Maybe I can share the messaging on how to go about using it better.
Last edited by samfisherirl on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

@bo3bber

Relax mate, no-one is trashing Katanga - we all love and deeply appreciate it, and HelixVision, and all your hard work! It is the gold standard. As OP points out, Katanga is "very well built". Also, remember that OP's app includes Katanga as an option. I think some words just came across as harsher than intended...

I can confirm the following:

WMR + Steam VR + Katanga ~ 1600x1600 supersampling = 17% GPU usage @ 1333 MHz core = 11% usage at 1900 MHz full clock.
WMR alone is 11% GPU @ 1333 MHz = 7% Full Clock.

SteamVR + Katanga is therefore 4% of GPU on my 2080 Ti.

These were empty gray screens in Katanga. Performance impact might be significantly higher when a game is loaded, but I wouldn't know how to test that.

A couple of notes you may not have considered:

1. WMR plays very inefficiently with SteamVR compared to native SteamVR headsets such as your Vive Pro. There are potentially enormous performance advantages for WMR by using OpenXR which is native to WMR. VRScreenCap app is OpenXR which potentially gives better performance on WMR and maybe Oculus headsets.

In my very brief testing, I didn't notice a difference.

2. I don't think it is fair to say that one does not notice a significant difference going higher than 1080p resolution in any headset - that might be true for your headset in particular.

On high resolution headsets such as the Reverb G2 (2100x2100), there are huge differences visible up to 3600x3600 (the G2's native Steam SS resolution), albeit with diminishing returns. Regardless, this is an issue with VR in general, unrelated to Katanga/VRScreenCap.

3. Agree - best to have the GPU hover around 65-70% for optimal VR performance, leaving room for GPU intensive explosions etc. Bad idea to have the GPU anywhere above 90%.

Again, very much appreciate the early Katanga VR release, and looking forward to its progress :)
EpsilonLyrae
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by EpsilonLyrae »

My experience w/ Katanga vs other apps is that Katanga has pretty low GPU/CPU usage on its own, but needs more GPU overhead available to have a good experience. Apps like Virtual Desktop or the VR Companion App (best used w/ SuperDepth3D, naturally) require more CPU/GPU time, but seem to let you push closer to 80-95% GPU usage without dropping frames. I think this might be what's given some people a perception that Katanga has "a lot of overhead", even though this is factually incorrect.

Of all the apps I prefer Katanga since it's pretty easy to set shortcuts to for specific games and lets me use a tool from a program I've already paid for (Helixvision)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

@bo3b
Katanga already has the best AA possible built in, the one used and shared by Oculus.
Is there a way to disable this?

My humble understanding is that this will only AA the window edges, menus etc, - not the game.

Unless it's some kind of stupid post processing AA such FXAA/SMAA/TXAA, which will decrease aliasing, however will also blur the image...

This could potentially be adding to the performance overhead, - it isn't needed or worth it imho. I hope it's not MSAA - that is a performance hog... :)

I appreciate that on your headset you may not notice blurring etc caused by TXAA (I know you're a fan of TXAA from previous posts), but please understand that people with headsets with better optics and higher resolutions do see these things...

------------------

On a side note - I too have noticed dropped frames that EpsilonLyrae talks about, and am unsure what they are caused by.

Scenario: 3DV/Geo-11 with glasses is smooth as butter with 90%+ GPU usage - no dropped frames - fps counter is locked at 60fps.

Katanga (and I think VRScreenCap in very brief testing): In a lot of game areas in various games, there is a lot of consistent microstutter (frame drops). I look over to the FPS counter, and it is locked at 90fps / 45fps. I look at GPU and it is hovering <70%.

The only consistent way to mitigate this microstutter/dropped frames is to lower the resolution...

It is obviously related to GPU performance somehow - maybe there is a bottleneck that the GPU usage/FPS counter displays don't account for.

Suggestions/insights appreciated :)
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

Don't forget the two displays (the 3D game and the VR headset) are running independantly and are not in any way synchronised. Perhaps what you view as microstutter is simply a result of the buffer updates on each device being out of sync and this being visually noticeable, much like a video camera viewing a TV screen. Timing is everything in VR as differences in Frame Pacing (not dropped frames) will be seen as stutter
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I hear what you're saying, BazzaLB; unfortunately, it's not that kind of stutter. The asynchronous updates to the viewport you describe would manifest itself differently from what is experienced, i.e. they would be constant, not at specific game areas, and not really resolution/GPU performance dependent.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

EpsilonLyrae wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17 pm My experience w/ Katanga vs other apps is that Katanga has pretty low GPU/CPU usage on its own, but needs more GPU overhead available to have a good experience. Apps like Virtual Desktop or the VR Companion App (best used w/ SuperDepth3D, naturally) require more CPU/GPU time, but seem to let you push closer to 80-95% GPU usage without dropping frames. I think this might be what's given some people a perception that Katanga has "a lot of overhead", even though this is factually incorrect.

Of all the apps I prefer Katanga since it's pretty easy to set shortcuts to for specific games and lets me use a tool from a program I've already paid for (Helixvision)
These comparisons are tricky, no question, because there are lots of factors involved. For SD3D for example, it may seem like Katanga is a total pig in comparison- but of course that's comparing depth buffer 3D which is a single pass, non-geometric 3D on a single full screen buffer, so you get 2x the performance of any geo-3d variant. Even though both run in VR, it's not the same experience. A sbs experience from geo-11 into Virtual Desktop is also half-sbs, not full sbs, by using the desktop duplication API. That's perfectly OK, but it's not as good as full-SBS through katanga, although it's less work for the VR environment itself.

It really depends upon what people want in terms of experience. And everyone is different, which is why it is important for people to experiment and understand what they are seeing, and not just make blanket assessments. If people don't care about the highest quality image, then katanga may not be the right choice, because that is my focus.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

samfisherirl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:08 pm man, this is a bummer. I think we have a misunderstanding.

I hear what you're saying. I spent dozens of hours putting together an app based off of katanga, at the last minute temporarily swap in this other persons vr screen cap. I definitely didnt have the goal of purposely spreading misinformation.

>>>>>This is part of what HelixVision does automatically, and that people are missing using the katanga shortcuts

I was under the impression helixvision wasnt being updated yet for geo11, so I've avoided it. If I was misinformed, I apologize. I have been told repeadely that it couldnt be updated for geo11 for at least 2-3 months. Thats the whole reason I built this app.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>blindly trashing Katanga is just stupid and lame, and it really pisses me off

replying to : katanga's massive draw on resources reducing frame rate to a degree that is tough to bare. While katanga is very well built with on controller bindings and such, I would love any tweaks you would recommend. Running on a decent system so Im not bottlenecking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>If you are solely focused on frame-rates in VR- you are blowing it.

>>>>>You can set the game resolution to some stupid value for VR use. Anything above 1080p is a waste of pixels and performance, and you won't be able to see the difference. 1080p on a Vive Pro is in the diminishing returns category, and 720p is nearly identical.

I've been a fan for a long time, finally stepped in and thought I could contibute. I didnt intend on making you feel like I was shitting on katanga. I know Im not the only one who has had trouble with it, Maybe I can share the messaging on how to go about using it better.
This is not actually a problem, and I have always been of the mind that the more people developing and putting in effort to improve 3D, the better. Please keep working your app if it is something you want to do. Everyone is of course free to work on whatever they want. Having a direct launch of Katanga is also fine. Including Artum's app as an option is also fine. Having options is often really helpful, as not everyone cares about the same things.

The part we need to work on is sticking to the facts and not making general negative comments. If people have exact scenarios where it doesn't work well, then we can do something about it. Just repeating false information like "It's a massive performance hit" or "this thing sucks" is not helpful, and is how products die. HelixVision is on life support right now because of all the negative reviews, so repeating negative comments is really unhelpful. Stick the facts, not overly broad generalities, and everything will be fine.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

RAGEdemon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:10 am
Katanga already has the best AA possible built in, the one used and shared by Oculus.
Is there a way to disable this?

My humble understanding is that this will only AA the window edges, menus etc, - not the game.
No current way to disable this, but if I crack open Katanga at some point I'll add at least the ability to disable via registry key.

If you don't have this level of AA then you get shimmering edges on anything and everything high contrast. It's a bad experience, which is why Oculus has this turned on always, with no way to disable it when using their SDK. There is a measurable performance hit, but it's pretty modest compared to everything else going on. Last I measured this it was on the order of 5% of overall Katanga overhead, so less than half a percent of a 1080ti GPU. Everything is trade-offs, but the poor image quality without it doesn't really make sense. It does not soften the image.
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

BazzaLB wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:05 am Don't forget the two displays (the 3D game and the VR headset) are running independantly and are not in any way synchronised. Perhaps what you view as microstutter is simply a result of the buffer updates on each device being out of sync and this being visually noticeable, much like a video camera viewing a TV screen. Timing is everything in VR as differences in Frame Pacing (not dropped frames) will be seen as stutter
Always possible that things have changed since I last profiled it as well. Driver updates, Win10 updates, SteamVR updates might all have introduced something new that I didn't previously see when I profiled it. In limited testing, I'm not seeing this with latest 512.x driver and Vive Pro, but there are a LOT of variables.

One thing you really want to focus on is having consistent frame rates that are evenly divisible by your HMD frequency. Even though both our not synced with each other, getting stale frames in VR gives you a bad feel. Not everyone cares or can tell, just like with alternate eye 3D generation. But the animation you view with something like a 60:90 ratio has microstutter that is not as good an expeience as you'd want. You are better off slowing the game to 45:90 for a completely smooth experience. If your hardware can pull it off a 90:90, or 72:72 on Quest is a good experience. On Valve Index, 60:120 can be a good setup.

On some systems, I think it's also possible that the VR is being starved by the crap scheduler in the Nvidia driver. They have a mode where a VR app can request higher priority- but of course this is locked to only people with money like Valve and Oculus, and I'm not allowed to use it. Because of that, I think there are scenarios where Katanga can be scheduled out of the way, too late for a VR frame, and introduce stutter. In one scenario I debugged closely, a game that spends too much time drawing can make Katanga miss it's drawing window, and give you a stale frame. And is some scenarios stall VR drawing altogether so that you go into reprojection. Because Katanga runs in the background- the NVidia driver assumes it is low priority compared to the game, even as it is declared a VR app and needs consistent time. NVidia sucks. I hate them.

If I were to rewrite Katanga, I would take the same approach Helifax did, and bring up a VR environment directly out of the game, because NVidia is hostile to small developers and gives me zero tools. That's not going to happen though, I'm not rewriting it. In normal circumstances, there is no problem, but as noted this might be worse now. And Unity VR has always been a very good experience, which is why so many VR games are written using it.

The Unity overhead itself is not an issue except in some highly GPU bound cases, but not being able to get reliable GPU time is probably the biggest problem I see with a Katanga experience, and might be what you see when turning up game resolution or more complicated effects. Giant monolithic Draw calls, instead of small chunks are what can cause problems, so experimenting with graphic effects, and resolutions can find solutions to microstutter. Large and detailed textures are not a problem, it's only GPU draw time.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Great insights, thank you.

I hope to spend a lot of time with Katanga VR as my now preferred display, as of your release; maybe I might come across something which might help shed more light on these obscure scenarios.

BTW, suggestion regarding your comment re: lower review score of HelixVision which are not warranted - After the dust has settled, maybe you might consider releasing a brand new geo-11/universal driver/universal GPU version as 'HelixVison-II', thereby starting from a clean slate, as far as reviews are concerned.

-- Reviews will be far more favourable, as currently, the negative ones are from people who are having setup difficulties, - they are not actually from people complaining about the amazing 3D experience HelixVision offers, once they have things up and running.
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

updated to include (hopefully) appropriate credit. bugs in custom shader drag-drop hopefully ironed out. removed christmas theme.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks samfisherirl.

Also,

Message from artumino, the VRScreencap Author:
I can confirm I was doing the color space calculations wrong, should be fixed in the next release

Just published version 0.2.0, it should fix the issue
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

nvm
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

VR ScreenCap looks good but for some reason when I turn my head left or right the image glitches. Anyone else see that? I've not done much troubleshooting yet other than to make sure ASW is disabled in my Oculus Settings. No change.
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

RAGEdemon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:03 pm Thanks for this.
WMR Users Disclaimer -- VRScreenCap

bo3bber wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:01 am

I've heard this GPU scheduling issue and the first thing that comes to mind is this. Please stop me in place if this is dumb and oversimplified. My knowledge is shallow and tends to focus on the consumer/user level.

I picture this as a resource Process Management problem and solution. Would having a background process monitor for GPU utilization percentage at various intervals, checking for enough breathing room like 5%, 10%, to keep the app running well, and prompt the user about being up against that Gap, guiding them through how to create a priority setting in their Graphics settings in Windows, or prompting them to reduce the resolution.

Reading bo3bs replies to the post on the forum, it seems reducing the resolution is the solution and I feel we could account for that. This is all hinging on my understanding of the problem. But there's no way to inform the user of this problem or solution. My idea is to just vomit Bob's suggestion right on the user when the problem comes up. (the user can dismiss forever if they want but they at least know how to solve for)

if this is acceptable, reading before launch the previous game's log and gap, settings steamvr res at launch
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

My understanding too is not too deep, but here are some of the problems:

GPU usage doesn't seem to indicate when the problem I described occurs (GPU <70%), however, generally, bo3b is correct that katanga will have severe issues if it is starved of GPU power.

A game's performance demands are very variable. One microsecond you might be fine, but the next microsecond, you might have an issue. Most GPU measuring utilities measure once per second.

How do you measure it?

Apps such as fpsVR already show you, live, what is happening with the performance.

It is good in that it gives you the latency and a graph showing missed frames <-- this is very helpful.

The problem: it causes microstutter every update - there is a long history of such apps causing this problem.

I have been told that SteamVR's native stats overlay doesn't have this issue, however.

So, perhaps a guide as part of HelixVision/Katanga_VR output showing how to measure the game and how to set appropriate parameters. One already exists but it seems to be pretty shallow and missing a lot of (imho) valuable, if obscure, information...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1127310/ ... crollTop=0
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

Cool new GUI update - 81722, made a gui for the VR Screen cap app. Change scale, curve on the fly.

https://i.imgur.com/xalb6cc.mp4
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

There are some youtube videos and various threads about W11 Ghost Spectre builds that are aimed at reducing Microsoft's overhead
and concentrating on gaming performance, perhaps it might be worth looking into and trying on a separate SSD.
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

3DNovice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 pm There are some youtube videos and various threads about W11 Ghost Spectre builds that are aimed at reducing Microsoft's overhead
and concentrating on gaming performance, perhaps it might be worth looking into and trying on a separate SSD.
I love modding my windows, you spoke to my soul, ala https://privacy.sexy/
(not a meme site)
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thank you for the update :)

I think Bo3b has updated Katanga too -- buttons on hand controllers are now labelled...
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

RAGEdemon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:16 am Thank you for the update :)

I think Bo3b has updated Katanga too -- buttons on hand controllers are now labelled...
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... dates=true
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

bo3bber wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 am
EpsilonLyrae wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17 pm My experience w/ Katanga vs other apps is that Katanga has pretty low GPU/CPU usage on its own, but needs more GPU overhead available to have a good experience. Apps like Virtual Desktop or the VR Companion App (best used w/ SuperDepth3D, naturally) require more CPU/GPU time, but seem to let you push closer to 80-95% GPU usage without dropping frames. I think this might be what's given some people a perception that Katanga has "a lot of overhead", even though this is factually incorrect.

These comparisons are tricky, no question, because there are lots of factors involved. For SD3D for example, it may seem like Katanga is a total pig in comparison- but of course that's comparing depth buffer 3D which is a single pass, non-geometric 3D on a single full screen buffer, so you get 2x the performance of any geo-3d variant. Even though both run in VR, it's not the same experience. A sbs experience from geo-11 into Virtual Desktop is also half-sbs, not full sbs, by using the desktop duplication API. That's perfectly OK, but it's not as good as full-SBS through katanga, although it's less work for the VR environment itself.

It really depends upon what people want in terms of experience. And everyone is different, which is why it is important for people to experiment and understand what they are seeing, and not just make blanket assessments. If people don't care about the highest quality image, then katanga may not be the right choice, because that is my focus.
there were some interesting things you mentioned in your post. at the time I was pretty heated and I deleted a draft I never sent. Finally came around to write it.

I'm going to say things like an idiot, then justify my statements so bare with me.

The audience that receives your releases of katanga are never wrong.

If you've ever heard of death of the author, its descriptive. Once a thing leaves the artists hands, computer, studio, it is no longer theirs.

If the user is uninformed, it is not their fault. If you dont setup a joke right, and have a great punchline, it really doesnt matter if no one gets it or laughs.

all this to say. The whole reason I started building mods for this community is I feel there's a big gap between dev and consumer.

This community (mostly you) put out amazing pieces of work. but its enjoyed by only 60-80% of potential users. Why? The delivery. 3D fix is great because it helps the dumb consumers.

I come from sales with a background in marketing. I have built gui's for Flugan, Geo11, and Artums vrscreencap, below. If you have a project that could use this type of mediocre talent, let me know!

https://github.com/samfisherirl/Geo11_Mod_Manager
https://github.com/samfisherirl/Geo3D_Manager
samfisherirl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by samfisherirl »

duplicate

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”