geo-11 Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

EpsilonLyrae
Two Eyed Hopeful

geo-11 Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Post by EpsilonLyrae »

Tested with latest steam version of the game (YMMV if you are playing a pirated version)

Relevant environment specs:

Windows 10 21H2 (latest updates installed)
RTX 3070 GPU, 516.59 drivers + 3D vision driver installed for DX9 compatibility (I let 3dfixmanager install whatever it wanted to from the drivers tab for 3dvision, then waited in that tab until 3dfixmanager was satisfied that DX9 3dvision should be working correctly)
Primary display: 4k 120hz, Gsync Off (using custom 1440p resolution+ nvtimingsed to get it to work with my glasses)
3dv1 glasses
Overlay software present: Steam.

Link to fix: https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2019/06/b ... night.html

Process followed:

*Installed game, booted once to make sure it runs on my system. Changed in-game settings to fullscreen and a resolution that should trigger 3d vision for me per fix instructions
*Installed 3dfix from the above link, then copied contents of geo-11 0.6.10 over it (except d3dx.ini, to allow the settings for the game fix to remain intact)

Changed these settings in d3dx.ini:
force_stereo = 2

changed these settings in d3dxdm.ini:
direct_mode = nvidia_dx9
dm_convergence = 1.0
dm_separation = 10
(this fix has some auto convergence stuff going on, but I wanted to be sure it'd start at a comfortable setting for me in case the fix refers back to default settings at any point)

The game can take a couple of tries to launch, giving an error. Sometimes it'll clearly boot in a state where it "wants" to use 3dvision (I'm seeing the left/right images on my monitor), but the emitter doesn't turn on. Fumbling through with alt tab / alt + enter a few times gets the fullscreen to stick and the emitter turns on, enabling 3d vision correctly.

Played through most of the beginning ship stage, primarily to test that another UE4 game fix works.

Observed issues:

*Lots of stereo fighting on projected lighting, which is all over the place - think candles, lanterns, etc. Left and right eye project the light to different directions which is uncomfortable to look at. Reducing separation / convergence helps as a band-aid, but reduces visible 3d depth of the game. Tried cycling through a few different settings in the options, didn't seem to have a meaningful impact
*F1 key doesn't bring up the in-game helper menu like the fix page suggests. Another game I tested (Deep Rock Galactic, opting for the universal fix instead of the game specific one) does have a working in-game menu.
*Text during character conversations ends up cutoff due to the way it's trying to project the text boxes into depth.

UE4 universal fix notes:
*Projected lighting works correctly.
*Text boxes during conversation work correctly.
*HUD can be wonky. New elements can pop the minimap into strange locations. It "sticks" that way until the screen refreshes (ie, move to another screen on the map, enter and exit the menu)
*Auto convergence performs OK- it handles gameplay and menu convergence just fine. When it shifts to a "conversation" style cutscene, it works fine, too. It doesn't seem to catch cutscenes with more dynamic cameras, and the very high convergence that you'll want to play with (1600+) is highly uncomfortable when characters move near the screen. Configure a "low" convergence preset and keep it handy, you'll need it. I would expect this to also be handy in the same scenarios as recommended for the game-specific fix.

Verdict: Game runs and boots. Visible errors in the first playable area suggest the game-specific fix may need updating, either because shaders in the game have changed, or geo-11 isn't handling something properly that a native 3dvision setup might (I cannot test for this due to my hardware). UE4 universal fix rendered the same starting area perfectly, minus cut scene issues that are also known to happen in the game-specific fix. Play with the Universal fix for now.
Last edited by EpsilonLyrae on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: geo-11 Yakuza 0

Post by masterotaku »

There's a Yakuza 0 thread here already: viewtopic.php?t=26300&sid=d91be8119cfd7 ... 445873b83a
Please, people, don't make duplicates.
EpsilonLyrae
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: geo-11 Yakuza 0

Post by EpsilonLyrae »

Was doing some late night testing and overlooked it...I'll just use this thread for a different game when I get around to some more testing.
EpsilonLyrae
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: geo-11 Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Post by EpsilonLyrae »

masterotaku wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:07 am There's a Yakuza 0 thread here already: viewtopic.php?t=26300&sid=d91be8119cfd7 ... 445873b83a
Please, people, don't make duplicates.
I just updated the thread to document my experience w/ a game fix you made.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

It looks like a recent game update broke the fix almost completely (even in 3D Vision). I have to refix it. I'll have to think if I want to do it manually (which I can) or if I should use the latest universal fix as the base now.
Edit: changelog mentions "engine changes".
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

I guess they have updated the UE4 Version. Just give the UF a try with some additions for Perfection may be if its work in the most things.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Done: https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2019/06/b ... night.html

The game is simple enough, so I remade the fix from scratch (only HUD vertex shaders survived the game update) with my own regexes.

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”