3DVision Surround : need advices

Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

3DVision Surround : need advices

Post by Vision4life »

• Hi everyone,

I’ve decided to go for a 3DVision Surround PC with the following hardware :

- 3 Acer GD245HQaBid 120HZ with built-in emitter (actually bought only 1 monitor) USED
    - 3Dvision 1 glasses (NEW)
    - 2 GTX 1080 SLI Blower style (1 DVI-D port each + 3 DisplayPort + 1 HDMI) USED
    - Core i7 9700K running at 4.6 Ghz stock (NEW)
    - CPU Watercooling Corsair H100i Elite LCD (NEW)
    - Gigabyte Z390 Designare (NEW)
    - 16GB Gskill Royal 3600MHZ O.C. (NEW)
    - Fractal Design R5 case with tampered glass (lucky me found probably the last NEW mirrored side panel on the market last year)
    - Corsair RM850x (NEW)
    Windows 1803 > auto updated to 1809
    nVIDIA 425.31 drivers

Couple of questions. I would like your advice about connecting the 3rd monitor : I’ve recently bought a Bizlink Dvi-d to dp adapter and would like to know how to make it work.
    1) Do i have to plug it to the second GPU card ? any display latency expected when loading games ?
    2) My GTX 1080 SLI are they fully 3DVision compatible ?
    3) did i choose the right monitors ? Or Asus, BenQ and Rog Swift are better (and 3DV Surround compatible) ?
    4) what is the definitive Windows version for the best experience : Windows 7 or Windows LTSC 2019, or both ?

*on Patreon, i’ve asked Losti for an advice, i’m still waiting. Patreon.
Last edited by Vision4life on Mon May 02, 2022 5:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3DVision Surround : need advices

Post by Vision4life »

I’ve heard that AIO Watercooling consumes like 100Watts, is that true ?
Do the monitors power consumption has an impact on the PSU power usage ?

Thank you.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
djb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djb »

Hey Vision4life, I don't say much as don't know much on shaderhacking side, but I do know a little bit on surround. My first was in 2010 with 3x480's that I put waterblocks on with an external Danger Den stand with 2x360 rads. Did 3x580's, 3x680's, 3x980's then 2x1080ti's.

I mostly ran my 2x1080ti's on a Win7, 6700k, Apex Z270 board.

The final straw, I did for a short time get Losti's Metro Exodus to work sli on 2x1080ti's, after some game exe hex hacks, and a bunch of other fiddling... after about a week, I got pissed off, and sold all my Win7 pieces, 1080ti's and only running a single 2080ti now. Trying to get sli to work on newer games ended it for me. “New” being the last 3 years or so.

I run 1809 LTSC/425.31 on one ssd, and 21H2/3dfm w/452.06 global hack on another ssd, 12700k with the 2080ti. And yes, I still try and play any new games in surround, I love it. Maybe addicted….

3DNovice... - actually the legendary D-Man 11 :-) and thank you for all your advice over the years!! - gave some very good points to consider.

But, to comment only on Surround, which I still do RARELY but whenever I can, my personal recommendation - and opinion only:

Get 3 exact 3DVision Certified Monitors. If ONLY for 3D surround, no point getting higher than 1920x1080, as you won't get decent fps on anything greater than 5760x1080 or 5850x1080 bezel corrected.

Get a 2080ti, fastest you can.

Make sure all monitors are display port for the 2080ti. 7 years ago I went through the adapter try, dvi to dp, forget it. Even added amperage to the 5V adapters. I got pissed off then too and got rid of the dvi monitors and bought dp. I have a LOT of patience, but it does end.

I do know, VERY few games have support for that resolution listed above, but again, any game I rarely play now, I try it in surround, before, most of the time, ending up on a single, separate 2560x1440.

Have you looked at the games you want to play, and looked at "PCGamingWiki" or "WSGF" to see what the commentary is on "Ultra-widescreen" for the games you're looking at playing?

Are you familiar with, or looked at "Flawless Widesrceen"? Google those things I've put in Quotations. One note on Flawless Widescreen, read the instrux to get it running, and you'll see that there has been some updated games, that are not listed on the web site. fyi, I recently played God of War with an updated FWS plugin. Fantastic Masterotaku :-)

Are you familiar with fiddling with game engine.ini’s? You’ll have to fiddle with those too for resolution and fov settings.

There are some masterpieces from the surround Master Helifax, here: http://3dsurroundgaming.com/WSF.html

Search through the HelixMod for fixes that Helifax did there also.

Is surround Glorious? Yup! Is it extremely frustrating, time consuming to try to make work, and expensive? Yup! Am I going to keep trying each game I do play, to try to make surround first? Yup! I’m just saying, it ain’t plug n play…

If you do keep proceeding feel free so ask some specific questions, I’ll keep an eye on this post.

Sincerely,
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

djb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djb »

Yes, the coders and hackers are incredible, and without them, I guess quite simply, I probably wouldn't play any games at all. I am and have been appreciative of your broad knowledge on 3D, and other topics, and the efforts you put in to help others :-)

On surround, I guess my big point is, get hardware that is truly compatible and doesn't need tweaking to work in surround, as there is enough fiddling to get something to work in surround, let along try and fight the hardware to work. As example, just got Sherlock Holmes working, with Losti's UE4 fix, had to underclock the gpu by 50mhz, and use a surround hack from PCGW. I fought hardware compatibility many times, and not worth it.

Take care,
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

I still use 3D surround at times My only real input here is.

1. Don't go over 1080p screens
2. Don't bother with SLI unless you like pain.
3. 2080ti is the best bet at this point.

Use the Sharpening filter in NCP and run at a lower resolution if necessary. Some games it still an incredible experience. I recently played Chorus in full 3d surround.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

I've been playing with the combination of 3D Vision, triple-screens, and sometimes even SLI since around 2014 or so. Honestly. I'd sell the two 1080s and buy a nice 2080 Ti. It'll be easier to deal with as you don't have to worry about SLI scaling / compatibility. Also, you'll be able to connect all 3 monitors to the 2080 Ti via DP cable. There was a time period where I was plugging two of my monitors into the GPU/s with 2 different cables. I either used 2 monitors with dual-link DVI and another monitor with an active dual-link DVI to Display Port adapter or it was the other way around: 2 monitors with displayport and one monitor with an active displayport to dual-link DVI. Anyway, it worked fine. 3D worked fine and it caused no lag. Regarding lag, some people say SLI in and of itself causes lag because SLI doesn't allow using pre-rendered frames to 1 like single cards allow. On the other hand, I once read that SLI in 3D Vision works different than SLI in 2D and that that pre-rendered ahead lag associated with SLI in 2D may not apply to SLI in 3D. To be 100 percent sure, I'd just sell the two 1080s and get a 2080 Ti :)

3) I'm using 3x Dell S2716DG 1440p. That monitor is supposed to be almost exactly the same as the Asus PG278Q. I've seen some reports saying the PG278Q or it's slightly updated model, the PG278QR, may have less 3D crosstalk than the Dell S2716DG. You can also look into the Asus PG27VQ. From what I can tell, it seems like a newer and curved (1800R curve) version of the PG278QR. It may be the last official Nvidia 3D Vision monitor made (but I'm not sure). For some reason, I never see any one talking about the PG27VQ.

4) I use Windows LTSC 2021 I believe. Seems to work just fine.
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

How do you get past seeing the black bar bezel between displays - remove the plastic housing? Curious to see some pics if anyone has them.
albert90
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by albert90 »

About the monitors - I owned one by Aser, didn't seem to run into any problems.
Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vision4life »

1st and foremost, Thank you SO MUCH to take times to answer back.

EMOTIONALLY
For personal reason, i've quit PC videogames since 2017, so a whole 3d-gaming period means to be seen ;)
Let me tell you that building my PC was a real adventure : bought motherboard from California state, Fractal Design R5 mirrored side case in Israel (last country on earth who sell it new), living in France... bought SLI bridge from a guy, graphics card on another other place and tested them thanks to a dedicated store.

LIKE IGNITE A NEW CAR
The first ignition was the good one ! i had never to come back to my build for a hardware issue. Today, i'm very happy to have right now an hybrid MB which support both Windows 7 USB 3.1 capabilities and Windows 10. But, for god's sake that was tough to enable Windows 7 WUpdate. My only hardware problem is the Wifi AC 9560 160 Mhz driver : impossible to find one, so a USB WiFi Alpha Antenna is connected.

HARDWARE WORKS FLAWLESSLY, BUT...
in addition, If i only knew, i would never mounted an SLI-setup in 2022. Nevertheless, with Windows 7 3DVision ON, it gives me entire statisfaction, almost doubled framerate at Metro 2033 (avg 90-110fps), Max Payne 3 (avg 120fps).
The temps are classic for Blower-style cards : 84 degrees celsius for one, 73 for the other. GPU power consumption : 120 + 105W
Except when i enable Vertical Sync (locked at 60fps) : 57 and 50 and a very low 70 + 90W power consumption. That makes me telling to myself that choosing 850W PSU was probably way too much.
Anyway, looking to get a 2080Ti, a PARIS local store still have a new one. And a lot of used ASUS 24" and 27" are on the market : for my future SURROUND setup, shame the Acer GD245HQaBID is equipped with HDMI, DVI and VGA...

W10 LTSC 1809 SEARCHING THE 3D VISION
I've dual-booted my SSD to Win7 and Win10 LTSC 1809 : i can play games in both O/S but i've noticed that windows automatically updated the system from 1803 to 1809 and was ready to update to 19xx...
Also, it switched from 425.xx nvidia drivers to 451.xx, so i will have to revert it back. Even though with the help of the 3DFixmanager, i could not launch Metro 2033 3Dvision ON.

Death Stranding is running so far okay, but i have no-dialogue issue : will update audio driver very soon.

@spin1, i will try to find 3 PG278QR : hope it's not too curvy as the ones on both sides will offer an optimal SURROUND view.
Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vision4life »

Sorry, 2 mistakes written above :

- dual-booted win7 and WIN10 LTSC 1803
- Dell 1080 GTX (3 DP (not 2) - 1 HDMI - 1DVI)
Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vision4life »

Success :

- 425.xx reinstalled ;
- Death Stranding dialogue OK (french version is not supported in my version)

Surprisingly, DS is 3DVision enabled ! but it's not perfect. Wonder if "HeliFax" Losti could take an eye on it.
spin1
Cross Eyed!

Post by spin1 »

Vision4life wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:46 am @spin1, i will try to find 3 PG278QR : hope it's not too curvy as the ones on both sides will offer an optimal SURROUND view.
Nice to hear you're back to gaming, and 3D / stereo vision gaming at that :)

Just to let you know, the PG278QR isn't the 3D Vision model with the curve, the PG27VQ is.

The PG27VQ only has an 1800R curvature which is basically the least curved. The most common curvatures are 1800R (least curved), (1500R middle), 1000R (most curved).
Vision4life
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vision4life »

spin1 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:29 am
Vision4life wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:46 am @spin1, i will try to find 3 PG278QR : hope it's not too curvy as the ones on both sides will offer an optimal SURROUND view.
Nice to hear you're back to gaming, and 3D / stereo vision gaming at that :)

Just to let you know, the PG278QR isn't the 3D Vision model with the curve, the PG27VQ is.

The PG27VQ only has an 1800R curvature which is basically the least curved. The most common curvatures are 1800R (least curved), (1500R middle), 1000R (most curved).
Great. Will definitely take a look at it.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

I am having issues getting the 3D Vision to show properly when I added my second 3D Vision monitor and set up nVidia Surround.

I have one mini-display port on my laptop, purchased a quality “cable matters” DP hub that is DP1.4 with high quality cables. Both monitors are connected in DP and have each 240hz. 3D Vision works as it is supposed to in each monitor if connected directly to the DP connection of my laptop.

In 2D it all works great and when I switch to 3D the “piramide “ lites up and I have a “double image” however when I put my glasses on it is clear that even though the shutter glasses work, the image is “double” in my view as well.

So in short, 3D kicks in but in Surround is not showing correctly and image has no depth at all, even though green light indicates it is supposed to be working. I tried starting with 3D Fix manager and also tried DX9 and DX11 games.

Am I forgetting something that impacts my 3D in Surround?

Forgot to mention: Both monitors have same resolution, refresh and both are same make/model and 3D Vision certified (AW2518H)
Last edited by a31632 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

Both monitors have same resolution, refresh and both are same make/model and 3D Vision certified (AW2518H)

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”