does AMD Ryzen work okay with 3D Vision?

3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

does AMD Ryzen work okay with 3D Vision?

Post by 3DVnewbie »

Hi guys!

I've been reading through some posts particularly about a 3D Vision CPU bug that apparently affects AMD CPUs more than Intel but I'm still a bit confused. I'd love to experience 3D Vision but I'm a bit scared of making a wrong decision.

I've been given the specific choice between these 2 computers:

"RTX 2080 Super with an Intel i7-9700K"
or
"RTX 2080 Ti with an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X"

For 3D Vision should I steer away from any computer with AMD Ryzen even though it has the better GPU?

The 2080 Ti sounds really nice but am I risking 3D Vision games crashing if I go with an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X?

Just a little scared because even though both computers are second hand good deals it's still a lot of money for someone like me.

Thanks for any help
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: does AMD Ryzen work okay with 3D Vision?

Post by Lysander »

um, no, Ryzen is totally fine with 3DV, no crashing.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Currently, AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs are 20% faster in 3D Vision than their Intel Counterparts. 11 series not yet tested.

DJ-RK and I did a detailed benchmark series here: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=25692

The general finding was that the performance improvement found in 2D benchmarks translates pretty directly to performance improvement in 3D Vision, so you can just look at 2D benchmarks to gauge 3D performance improvement generally.

Edit: Highlighted for clarity.
Last edited by RAGEdemon on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

I'm using Ryzen 3600 here, works like a charm, fantastic CPU with great performance and flawless multitasking compared with my old i5.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DVnewbie »

So are we saying that the "CPU bug" or "3 core bug" that was discussed previously on the forum never really came to have much of a bearing on the real-world 3DVision experience?

If we are now saying there is negligible impact from "the bug" due to which CPU brand you choose then I can see why people are effectively saying that it only boils down to a general performance assessment of AMD vs INTEL for 2D gaming in general.

So for a better 3DVision real-world experience, would it make the most difference to focus on the choice of graphics card (e.g. 2080 Ti over a 2080 Super)?

I suppose what I'm trying to determine is whether any real-world impact from "the bug" on 3DVision turned out to be so minuscule and small so as not to even be worth considering over the standard criteria involved when choosing components for a gaming PC.

So if it turns out that the CPU bug on 3DVision has ended up being like the Y2K bug (i.e. greatly feared in anticipation but never became a big deal in reality) then people can go about the business of selecting a PC based on general GPU & CPU gaming performance considerations.

This whole issue has become important because I have no choice I urgently need to buy a PC but I'd like to have 3DVision, and given the dire state of the markets for separate components the quickest way in my location is to buy a whole PC with a RTX 2000 series graphics card but of course that has meant I can't always be as picky when it comes down to AMD vs Intel CPUs.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this is something that will be affecting many other average people out there like me who are rushing to experience 3DVision before all the RTX 2000 cards are effectively gone or no longer easily obtainable.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

You are overthinking it. The bug definitely shows itself in certain games and situations where you will see an fps drop but it affects both CPU brands.

Go with the 2080ti and ryzen system. You'll be super happy with 3d vision and most games will work super fast on highest settings.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

3DVnewbie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:01 am So are we saying that the "CPU bug" or "3 core bug" that was discussed previously on the forum never really came to have much of a bearing on the real-world 3DVision experience?

Ummm huh? Where did you get this idea from?

Our entire thread in my post above highlights the extreme problem the CPU bug causes with detailed benchmarks; causing games to drop to 1/3 of their 2D performance... :)

As for benchmarks - as mentioned above - if a modern intel/AMD CPU is X% faster in 2D then it will also be X% faster in 3D. Generally, the CPU bug will cause a 66% performance drop due to the CPU bug in the games tested. This affects both Intel and AMD, though right now, Ryzen 5 seems to be the CPUs to get for 3D Vision because it gives generally 20% performance improvement over the fastest Intel chips in both 2D and 3D.

Ryzen 3xxx series are 10-20% slower than Intel - those numbers will translate directly into both 2D and 3D performance too.

Simply, as far as CPUs go for 3DV, this is the performance hierarchy:

1st place:
Ryzen5

2nd place:
Intel 11
Intel 10
Intel 9
Intel 8
Intel 7
Intel 6

3th place:
Ryzen 3

4th place:
Ryzen 2

For 3D Vision, Single core performance (IPC x Clock rate) is king.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DVnewbie »

Lysander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 am You are overthinking it. The bug definitely shows itself in certain games and situations where you will see an fps drop but it affects both CPU brands.

Go with the 2080ti and ryzen system. You'll be super happy with 3d vision and most games will work super fast on highest settings.
Thanks it's reassuring to know that you feel I may be overthinking it. Thanks for your suggestion that 2080ti & Ryzen3950X would likely result in nice satisfactory 3DVision experience.

As an average Joe I tried to read up a little before rushing to spend what will amount to being a lot of money for me and when I saw that there was this CPU bug I was a little alarmed by it and just wanted to try and make the best decision I could with the purchasing options I have available to me. I suppose that when they built the internet they forgot to lock people like me out lol! ;)
3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DVnewbie »

RAGEdemon wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:12 am
Our entire thread in my post above highlights the extreme problem the CPU bug causes with detailed benchmarks; causing games to drop to 1/3 of their 2D performance... :)

Ryzen 3xxx series are 10-20% slower than Intel - those numbers will translate directly into both 2D and 3D performance too.

For 3D Vision, Single core performance (IPC x Clock rate) is king.

This is really excellent information and really usefully laid out!

I most definitely appreciate you breaking it right down like that and I do expect it felt like stuff you've said before but it definitely helped and maybe anyone else reading it who is in my position.

Regarding the decision I'm making between the Intel i7-9700K or the Ryzen 3950X, I will take what you pointed out about the Ryzen 3xxx being 10-20% slower than Intel and use it try to work out whether the difference between 2080ti & 2080 Super could offset it.

For instance, could it end up that the slower Ryzen paired with the faster 2080ti has a better overall 3DVision performance than the faster Intel i7 paired with the slower 2080 Super, so in other words could the faster GPU make up for or exceed the shortfall associated with the slower Ryzen.

If that does turn out to be the case then it'll be useful for people to know that if for some reason you are constrained to go with a Ryzen3xxx CPU instead of an Intel CPU that it'd be possible to more than mitigate the difference by choosing a faster Graphics card. Now I'm not saying that's definitely the case but trying as best as I can to estimate that type of real-world scenario is my goal. Oh and I certainly apologise to anyone if the idea of using a faster GPU to completely overcome the gap seems obvious.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

3DVnewbie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 am Regarding the decision I'm making between the Intel i7-9700K or the Ryzen 3950X, I will take what you pointed out about the Ryzen 3xxx being 10-20% slower than Intel and use it try to work out whether the difference between 2080ti & 2080 Super could offset it.

For instance, could it end up that the slower Ryzen paired with the faster 2080ti has a better overall 3DVision performance than the faster Intel i7 paired with the slower 2080 Super, so in other words could the faster GPU make up for or exceed the shortfall associated with the slower Ryzen.
Here's my way of explaining this. The CPU determines what your maximum framerate can be. Your GPU determines what your min/avg will be, and how much you can do per frame.

Here's what I mean by that with your hardware examples.

Lets say you went with the Ryzen, and you load up a 3D game of your choice.

Starting with the 2080 and at 1080P, you might find that no matter what graphical settings you choose, you'll only ever get a maximum of 45 frames. This is because the CPU bottleneck has been reached and prevents the GPU from working harder up to it's full capacity, so it doesn't matter if you turn graphical settings down because that's not what is causing the bottleneck. Heck, even if you drop it down to 720P it would still cap out at 45 FPS. But now if you bump it up to 1440P you see a slight drop down to 40 FPS, and at 4K it drops down into the 20's.

Now, let's say you have the 2080Ti. Guess what? 45 max FPS is still all you're gonna get, but now you can do 1440P without any drop (still get 45 FPS) and 4K only drops down into the 30's instead of the 20's because that 2080Ti can push more pixels each frame.

And now say you've got the Intel chip, and you're actually getting 48-50 max FPS.

Or you get a Ryzen 5xxx chip (like myself) and not care about any CPU bottleneck because you consistently get 50-60 FPS anyways! :woot
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

3DVnewbie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am
Lysander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 am You are overthinking it. The bug definitely shows itself in certain games and situations where you will see an fps drop but it affects both CPU brands.

Thanks it's reassuring to know that you feel I may be overthinking it. Thanks for your suggestion that 2080ti & Ryzen3950X would likely result in nice satisfactory 3DVision experience.

As an average Joe I tried to read up a little before rushing to spend what will amount to being a lot of money for me and when I saw that there was this CPU bug I was a little alarmed by it and just wanted to try and make the best decision I could with the purchasing options I have available to me. I suppose that when they built the internet they forgot to lock people like me out lol! ;)
No worries, perhaps I sounded too dismissive, but I totally understand you. I overthink and research h things, too, it usually pays off :)

I delivered a short message and the other guys elaborated on the issue, hopefully it helps you. It's a tough thing to decide on without actually checking it. I suggest you find articles or videos comparing the 2 CPUs with everything else the same (video card, memory) so u can see which cpu is faster.

Just bear in mind that while in some games the faster cpu will help you, in other games the actual faster gpu might help you and with a huge variety of games, it's hard to make a generic judgement as to which system is better. Perhaps look at which games you are interested in and how they perform on similar systems, I do that often, there are plenty of youtube videos.

Bottom line is, that bug will present itself on both systems but overall, it won't take away that much from your 3d experience, unless u pick a game where it really affects 99% of THAT game and THAT is the game you wanna play for hundreds of hours and u'll be stuck at 45fps ALL THAT TIME :D
3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DVnewbie »

DJ-RK wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:28 am
Here's my way of explaining this. The CPU determines what your maximum framerate can be. Your GPU determines what your min/avg will be, and how much you can do per frame.
That really is a good way you have there of explaining it..... awesome in fact!!

Do you know, until I read your explanation I hadn't actually fully grasped that the CPU in a system is *THE* bottleneck on 3dVision performance.

So like you say if the frame rate cap has been reached then throwing in a 2080ti under hood won't make any difference whatsoever to the 3DVision experience and without any upgrade to the CPU the extra money spent on having the 2080ti could even be considered a waste as far as 3DVision is concerned.

Yep so when the current carnage out there dies down (hopefully in the next year or two) I'll be following your example and as a priority upgrading to the CPU with the best single core performance that I can get my hands on! :D
3DVnewbie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DVnewbie »

Lysander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm
No worries, perhaps I sounded too dismissive, but I totally understand you. I overthink and research h things, too, it usually pays off :)

You were great not dismissive at all, if anything it was me being a newbie and slow on the uptake.

Lysander wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm Bottom line is, that bug will present itself on both systems but overall, it won't take away that much from your 3d experience, unless u pick a game where it really affects 99% of THAT game and THAT is the game you wanna play for hundreds of hours and u'll be stuck at 45fps ALL THAT TIME :D
LOL! That really does sound like the sort of luck I could imagine I would get! :lol:
Feisty_Fernando
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Feisty_Fernando »

Ryzen 5 3600XT + 1660 Super - no issues whatsoever other than finding the motivation to play in 3D.
ishiki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ishiki »

One other trick I found with 5th Gen Ryzen.

Right now atleast in the US.
Ryzen 5600x is being scalped to around 375-400 USD. While Ryzen 5800x is able to be easily gotten for 450 at like best buy. I would not get the 5600x at scalped prices. If you can get them at MSRP, sure.

You can disable 2 cores, (ideally the worst ones). Then enable PBO with correct curve optimizer for higher single core boost clocks than with a 5600x. I am able to get around 5GHZ with my sample.

In general... I need to test this and maybe I will. With 3Dvision (and maybe just gaming in general) you don't really want to do an all core overclock with ryzen.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”