Learning to live with two different drivers

skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Learning to live with two different drivers

Post by skyrimer »

Yeah first world problems :? Still, as a big Gears fan I wanted to play the latest Hivebusters DLC, and it won't boot on 452.06, so I had to install 460.89. However as an active 3d gamer, I wanted to switch back and forth between drivers.

What I've learned is that it actually isn't too bad. If you download and unzip both drivers and have a shortcut to the setup.exe, it barely takes two to three minutes to install. Obviously this is the case by using the "express" install, no DDU or correct installation method, but I haven't found any issues in doing this, and have been using both drivers normally already for quite some time. Thanks to the amazing 3DFM, setting up 3d working back again is a snap with quick setup and config load once 452.06 is installed, so the whole process barely take 5 minutes.

Now I would like to ask Pauldusler if all this process could be done from inside 3D Fix Manager, so that it becomes even easier. Currently, 3DFM always downloads the driver and does the full install process, so I wonder if 3DFM could add an option to store and unzip both drivers locally and check for the newest Nvidia driver if available, so the whole process is even faster and more streamlined. It's quite clear that we'll be using old drivers for a while, so this would make the wait for a possible fix more tolarable. I'd gladly donate a few euro for this.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Learning to live with two different drivers

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi Skyrimer,

yeah this also came to my mind. Currently 3DFM redownloads the driver every time - I could easily change this that the driver is only downloaded if

A) not downloaded at all yet
B) not completely downloaded yet

In all other cases the driver download would be skipped and the setup taken from the HDD.

For downloading / installing the latest Geforce driver I still think that 3DFM is not the right application for doing this. Geforce Experience is the tool to go - if I'm not misstaken it also leaves the downloaded files on the HDD so no redownload is required. Also Geforce Experience is always up to date while 3DFM will always lag behind concerning latest driver version notification. There is no API to ask whether Nvidia offers a new driver ^^.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Well i'll keep doing it the old fashioned way then, it's not much of a fuss but it would be cool if it was included in 3DFM, no worries though.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Losti »

If it helps can quickly make a non ddu clean Version of the driver changing tool ?
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

Nah don't worry Losti i'm fine, I can see you're messing with Cyberpunk 2077 so just have fun with the game, you've done too much already :) .
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
RobertBash
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RobertBash »

:mrgreen:
Losti wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:59 am If it helps can quickly make a non ddu clean Version of the driver changing tool ?
I'd actually appreciate this. Forza 7 won't launch and I'm pretty sure the issue is the old drivers.
Losti

Post by Losti »

RobertBash wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 am :mrgreen:
Losti wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:59 am If it helps can quickly make a non ddu clean Version of the driver changing tool ?
I'd actually appreciate this. Forza 7 won't launch and I'm pretty sure the issue is the old drivers.
But you can use the tool as it is to quickly install different drivers. This will make a ddu cleanup that is the save way to Go.
RobertBash
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RobertBash »

Losti wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 am
But you can use the tool as it is to quickly install different drivers. This will make a ddu cleanup that is the save way to Go.
Having to reboot twice is not "quick," plus I lose all my custom resolutions. (I have a Sony GDM-FW900 that I run at various resolutions, none of which are in the original EDID.) I appreciate the tool though; it has worked.
Losti

Post by Losti »

RobertBash wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 am

Having to reboot twice is not "quick," plus I lose all my custom resolutions. (I have a Sony GDM-FW900 that I run at various resolutions, none of which are in the original EDID.) I appreciate the tool though; it has worked.

Just start the tool again, it should Update automatically i have added a non DDU version that should be available now with a desktop icon, Please report back and if you like it, consider a donation :-)

Given, this was a 4 HRS work of testing and programming....may be more than you would have ever spend for driver changes ^^

Please report if this is working for you!
RobertBash
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RobertBash »

Losti wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 pm
RobertBash wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 am

Just start the tool again, it should Update automatically i have added a non DDU version that should be available now with a desktop icon, Please report back and if you like it, consider a donation :-)

Given, this was a 4 HRS work of testing and programming....may be more than you would have ever spend for driver changes ^^

Please report if this is working for you!
Hey, I know it's been a while, but thank you for your hard work. I have already donated. It didn't end up working for me. I decided to stop spending time with 3D Vision and switched to VR. It was just too much of a hassle (and I wanted to build a new system anyway).

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”