We need a better System Shock 2 fix

vurt
One Eyed Hopeful

We need a better System Shock 2 fix

Post by vurt »

Please, can't someone make a better System Shock 2 fix? One of the best PC games ever surely deserves better :)

The fix we have relies on the super old DirectX 6 version it seems. We have much newer builds of SS2 (called "New Dark") since many years back that uses DX9. I'll gladly purchase and gift the steam version to anyone willing to give it a try.

This section of the .cfg;

"enable Direct3D 9 based display system (instead of the legacy DirectX 6 one)
;use_d3d_display"

can't be used.. the fix disables it and if you enable it manually (you need to write protect the .cfg) it breaks the 3D.
Since this part does not work its impossible to enlarge the super tiny HUD because that requires DX9.

For a 3DFixgame that is rated "Excellent" its still a rather poor fix since things like inventory is very important in RPG's and something you might use a lot. I guess it works decently if you play in 720p (because the HUD will be a lot larger then).

Obviously i'm thankful the game is close to something that is playable, its just a shame that it doesn't seem to use DX9.

It's also impossible to get the game full screen without black bars on the sides, when you cycle through frustum you either get black bars or you get an image where the sides disappears like 5-6% (so parts of the HUD will disappear), not optimal.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: We need a better System Shock 2 fix

Post by masterotaku »

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:17 am Please, can't someone make a better System Shock 2 fix? One of the best PC games ever surely deserves better :)
I did it by using dgVoodoo (back when it still couldn't convert from DX9 to DX11, so it was with DX9 disabled in New Dark) and making some profile adjustments with 3Dmigoto to correct some graphics issues.

Then I tried to make dynamic HUD depth but failed, got angry and abandoned it, haha. I didn't try to modify the HUD size, though.

What happened to the Enhanced Edition that Nightdive Studios was making last year? Part of the reason why I stopped was because I decided to wait for the new version because they said it was coming "soon".
vurt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vurt »

I see.. Well, i really appreciate the work nonetheless :)

Yeah its a shame about hud size, though i can play it in 720p i guess. DX9 has a lot of other enhancements as well, a whole section in cam_ext.cfg has DX9 specific stuff, HDR, Bloom and such.

That's a System Shock 1 remake, not 2. Completely different games really. SS2 is more of a FPS shooter/RPG hybrid. SS1 is leaning more towards an adventure/shooter i would say. I personally prefer SS2 over SS1, always have, though i do like SS1 too.

If you have the time to look at it again I, and all other SS2 and 3DV fans, would be eternally thankful :D We're not gonna see a new SS2 any time soon i'm afriad, and SS3, uh, i'm not too hopeful about that one, seeing how bad Ultima Underworld remake was..
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I meant this: https://www.pcgamer.com/an-enhanced-edi ... velopment/

Anyway, I'll try to take a look at the DX9 version if I get impatient about the enhanced edition.
vurt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vurt »

masterotaku wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm I meant this: https://www.pcgamer.com/an-enhanced-edi ... velopment/

Anyway, I'll try to take a look at the DX9 version if I get impatient about the enhanced edition.
Ah then i understand, I have completely missed that, cool. read an interview, seems like MP is a focus.. hope they will remake some graphics too, especially characters.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”