why 60hz refresh rate does not work?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
shiufai
One Eyed Hopeful

why 60hz refresh rate does not work?

Post by shiufai »

Hello everyone,

I am running some stereo test with my NuVision LCD glasses.

And I am just wondering in general why a LCD monitor why a 60Hz refresh rate wouldn't synchronize probably with the glasses.
Besides the flickering, the stereo just seems to be out of phase and the left eye becomes really dimmed.

If I use a CRT monitor at 60Hz, even though it flickers but at least it syncs.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

Cheers,
ShiuFai
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Why a crt runs good with shutters?
On a crt there's a small dot writing the picture on the screen. It starts up in one corner and writes, row for row until it has written the whole picture. Then it starts over. This happens with the refreshrate.
The vga-signal from the graphiccard is standardized to run a monitor directly (some amp circuits in the crt are needed but simplified that's about all). Therefore you wont have any lag because the crt's dot is controlled directly by the level of the vga-signal. A color crt runs three dots (3 colors) at the same time.

Lcd's have lag. And the reason is that lcd's internal electronics has to store and translate the signal from the computer to a signal required to run the lcd (easy explained). Each pixel needs to have it's own control circuit and therefore the lcd first have to store the info in the signal, then translate it to levels for the pixels and finally sending the right data to the pixelcontrolcircuit. This takes time and this is why LCD's generarly don't suit shutterglasses. There is nothing that indicates that it really have to be this way (you only need more powerful electronics in the lcd). The liquid crystals in a lcd switches within milliseconds. Shutterglasses for instance contains liquid crystals.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”