Stereoscopic 3D Gaming is NOT Dumb According to Rein!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

Message of the day: DON’T PANIC! Read this entire story!

Early this morning, Gameindustry.biz put an article online titled "Using 3D technology is dumb, says Rein". The article was a summary of a much longer interview with Mark Rein, Co-Founder of Epic Games. The original text was written as:

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Rein revealed that the Unreal Engine 3 already supported S-3D technology but that he didn’t expect it to gain widespread acceptance - saying the need to buy a new screen was too high a barrier to entry. When told about Ubisoft’s recent announcement to use S-3D, Rein commented: "That’s dumb."

"I have a 3D monitor sitting in my office and stereoscopic has worked on Unreal for a long time. In fact one of the guys pushing stereoscopic sent me the monitor, he said ’Your games are great on these monitors,’ so he sent me one."

"So Unreal works fine on stereoscopic, it’s just you’ve got to change out your screens to use it - that’s a big accessory," Rein explained.

Mark Rein has informed MTBS that he didn’t say that S-3D was dumb. He said his reaction of "that’s dumb" was to the interviewer’s suggestion that a publisher was somehow doing something new by supporting S-3D in an upcoming game. He pointed out that in the very next answer he gave in the same interview he explained that his company’s games and engines have worked stereoscopically for nearly ten years (with the assistance of stereoscopic 3D drivers).

"When you see games like ours running with proper stereoscopic equipment it is a fantastic experience," said Mark Rein, Co-Founder of Epic Games.

Read full article...
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Message of the day: DON’T PANIC! Read this entire story! Early this morning, Gameindustry.biz put an article online titled “Using 3D technology is dumb, says Rein”. The article was a summary of a much longer interview with Mark Rein, Co-Founder of Epic Games. The original text was written as: Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Rein revealed that the Unreal Engine 3 already supported S-3D technology but that he didn’t expect it to gain widespread acceptance – saying the need to buy a new screen was too high a barrier to entry. When told about Ubisoft’s recent announcement to use S-3D, ...

Return to “MTBS News”