Over 30% Surveyed Want 3D HDTV This Year!

Special news and updates by the MTBS team.
PressBot
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by PressBot »

Kakaku ran an online survey of 8,957 people and found that over 30% of respondents are interested in buying a new 3D HDTV this year!  We think this is an amazing figure because it accounts for the early adopters that will pay the premium, versus the other 70% which will jump on further down the road - the way they did with traditional HDTVs.

Of those that rejected buying a 3D HDTV this year, 70% criticized the glasses, 57% said the prices are too high, and 40% said that there isn't enough content.  No big surprises here, though it would be interesting to hear the exact argument against the glasses.  For example, when NPD did their study, the objection to the glasses wasn't that they are silly (as the media promotes), but that consumers were worried that there wouldn't be enough glasses to go around!  Very different problem!
Read full article...
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Over 30% Surveyed Want 3D HDTV This Year!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

I demo'ed a 55-inch Samsung LED 3D TV at Best Buy recently, they are giving away a 3D pack with 2 pair of glasses (battery operated) and a 3D Blu Ray of Monsters Vs. Aliens and marking down the price of the Blu Ray player!

The 3D was the best I have ever seen, for a home unit that is, very comfortable!

There didn't seem to be a lot of separation in the M Vs A movies while I waited for them to bring out the glasses so when I put them on I was shocked at the depth that was instantly in front of my eyes!

The TV MUST be used with the Samsung glasses and Samsung Blu Ray however, so you would have to buy the full set.

Samsung's TV has the ability to connect to your wireless home network so you can watch Netflix, YouTube, HULU, etc.

I wasn't able to test YT3D, hopefully it does work when set to interlace.

There are rechargable glasses available, they cost about $150 each.

One thing I found reading reviews on Amazon is that some folks have had problems with the glasses going out of sync, but one reviewer found the solution was to go into the settings of the 3D player (while the player is active) and change "3D optimize" to -1.

I did quickly look at another 3D TV brand without glasses, but the picture looked grainer than Samsung so I didn't bother waiting to get glasses for that one.

Overall, I would really like to buy one when I get the money! :)

:polarized
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

It's only a question of time before i get a 3d-tv as well. I'm just awaiting the industry wakeup about compability and all media access.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

I'd want a 3dtv but I just can't fathom wearing those silly glasses :twisted:
kiddin.....
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

30% ain't bad. I just hope enough people actually take the plunge.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Kakaku ran an online survey of 8,957 people and found that over 30% of respondents are interested in buying a new 3D HDTV this year!  We think this is an amazing figure because it accounts for the early adopters that will pay the premium, versus the other 70% which will jump on further down the road – the way they did with traditional HDTVs.

Kakaku Picture

Of those that rejected buying a 3D HDTV this year, 70% criticized the glasses, 57% said the prices are too high, and 40% said that there isn't enough content.  No big surprises here, though it would be interesting to hear the exact argument against the glasses.  For example, when NPD did their study, the objection to the glasses wasn't that they are silly (as the media promotes), but that consumers were worried that there wouldn't be enough glasses to go around!  Very different problem!

Return to “MTBS News”