The U-DECIDE Initiative!

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

The U-DECIDE Initiative!

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

The U-DECIDE Initiative is going really well. So far, websites discussing or promoting the effort include:

AMD
iZ3D
The Game Creators
Vendetta-Online
GameCyte
The 3D Entertainment Summit
Blitz Games Studios (pending)
Overclockers.com.au
and more.

We are also working on putting out a formal press release too. Do you have some additional ideas on how we can promote the effort? This is exactly what our industry needs right now.

For example, would a special U-DECIDE signature work well?

All ideas welcome.

Regards,
Neil
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

Neil the best thing AMD and IZ3D can do is put some demo displays out in the stores. This is going to give lots of people hands on. None of my local retailers that sell 3D DLP tv's have any 3D demos. I walked into sam's club a couple days ago and saw they were showing Journey to the Center of the earth and thought for a second this will be great, they are finally showing a 3d movie - but the the image wasn't 3D and I asked the sales rep when are going to demo a 3D DLP or monitor and he looked at me like what is dat? Why do you think it is taking so long to get some 3d demo displays set up in places where they are already selling 3d tv's and such?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi MartinLandau,

Thank you for your post.

I want to make it clear that the U-DECIDE Initiative is non-proprietary and has nothing to do with selling iZ3D monitors or ATI graphics cards directly. In this case, the purpose of the initiative is to capture the opinions of traditional 2D and stereoscopic 3D gamers to measure their thoughts on 3D display technology. Are glasses a deterrent to the technology? Is there a relationship between the glasses and the type of content being watched? Is there a disconnect between the way traditional 2D gamers and experienced S-3D gamers think of true 3D gaming? How are economic factors going to impact buying decisions? There is a lot that is covered here, and the more people participate, the more helpful the information will be.

We want a final report that will either act as proof of the demand for S-3D technologies from consumers' mouths, or provide a credible road map to solving key issues raised by gamers. I have no clue how things are going to turn out just yet. :lol:

My motivation in starting this thread was to come up with ways to spread the word and get more 2D gamers to participate with the survey.

You raise valid points about retail, etc. - so feel free to start a separate thread about that.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Re: The U-DECIDE Initiative!

Post by Neil »

Wow! December 1st is going to be hitting us fast!

I have no clue how the results will be, and I don't want to do any polls in this forum about this. I'm more interested in discussion.

It will be interesting to see how your individual opinions match up to the realities when the preliminary results are out.

I am personally nervous that James Cameron is going to send one of his patented terminators to travel back in time and take me out before the preliminary U-DECIDE Initiative results are revealed on December 1st at the 3D Entertainment Summit.

I'm joking about the results because I don't know what they will be (half joking about the terminator :lol:), but since 60% of our sample are inexperienced 2D gamers, which findings do you think will be most important, and what are your personal expectations and why? The answer could be S-3D film or gaming related.

Regards,
Neil
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I'd say S-3D gamers spent more amount on S-3D compatible hardwar - or would spent it, if it was out.
I have to say I typed totally wrong, but every answer would be wrong.
I wouldn't buy ANY non S-3D hardware. That means I'd spent much more on the hardware than I typed.

Ok maybe I'd spent money on very old hardware to tinker around with.
Example: I'd spent 50 bucks on a CRT or maybe 200 or 300 on a S-3D screen - if I need one more. Unfortunatly there is no such screen and since the 50 bucks CRT is S-3D ready - and has some other qualities, too - there is no long thinking.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi LukePC1!

Let me rephrase.

For the first time, we are going to have a representation of what 2D gamers think of S-3D for movies and gaming. The industry has never heard directly from them about this stuff before. When I'm talking about 2D gamers, I mean people who have never used a modern S-3D solution, but have an opinion about it nonetheless.

What findings do you think will be the most important? For example, are 2D gamers ok with wearing glasses? What is the overall opinion of 2D gamers about 3D? What do you think 2D gamers think of 3D? (I know, this sounds like a line in "Tropic Thunder". "I'm the dude playing the dude pretending to be another dude!")

Regards,
Neil
Okta

Post by Okta »

My 2c says the 2d gamers will not be interested in any solution requireing glasses.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by The_Doctor »

I agree.
Okta wrote:My 2c says the 2d gamers will not be interested in any solution requireing glasses.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Why? Why? Why? :P

Back it up!

Regards,
Neil
The_Doctor
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by The_Doctor »

I know from the few friends that used my setup that they always say "I don't like all these stupid glasses and wires and all this stuff." They just want to lay in bed and watch tv or look at the computer without glasses or anything attached to them.

Neil wrote:Why? Why? Why? :P

Back it up!

Regards,
Neil
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Wired is something of the past. Glasses might be ok only if they are wireless.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

I think having to wear glasses wried or not, help make 3d , 3d. It makes barriers from 3d being a "lets sit down and watch a movie in 3D" to 3D being a everyday thing and that every programme on tv is in 3d and every game is in 3D. Ok thats the ultimate goal and the ultimate end reasult of where 3D is going but this forum, and the hype of a game being viewed in 3D just wont be the same.

I sometimes sit there with my Wii and think god if people could see what a prat I look like waving a stick in the air, if people looked though my window they think Im a wiredo, but the fun and joy outway the stupidness and it a meant to be tried to understand.

I think this website says it all for 3D (meant to be seen), and with so many people remember the wonderfull but low effect red and blue glasses, its so hard to even make people want to try 3D to want to move to the new style 3D. But slowly tv's sets have being made 3D ready and slowly people are getting introduced into 3D thertre, and when a games console comes out with 3D support I think the masses will run for 3D glasses or not :)
LukePC1

Post by LukePC1 »

"This is boring. I see 3D all day and now I'm happy to play some flat WOW or DotA or whatever. S-3D just keeps me from clicking correctly. And if it's too low it does not make sense either."

"No I just want to see, how the game looks maxed out. Then it's choppy as hell and I can't play it in 3D anymore. But that does not matter since I don't need the glasses then :-)"

"Your settings are too strong for me. I don't want to change them :oops: "
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The_Doctor wrote:I know from the few friends that used my setup that they always say "I don't like all these stupid glasses and wires and all this stuff." They just want to lay in bed and watch tv or look at the computer without glasses or anything attached to them.
This is exactly the kind of issue I have with S-3D television.
When i play a videogame, i'm focused for a few hours, no problem with glasses
When i watch a movie, i'm focused for the whole movie, no problem with glasses

But when I watch TV, i usually just listen to the news while doing something else (cleaning up, cooking, eating, or relaxing on the sofa), so i don't want to wear 3D glasses because i'd have to put them on and off and on and off etc... or i just couldn't see the stereo image at all if I'm laying on the side.

There's also something that frightens me a lot when i think about S-3D TV : Ultra flashy hyper intrusive pop-out 3D Advertising... because i know it will happen.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Yeah I think points against S-3D are legitimate for some applications. Back when I was using Revelator drivers, I would typically use S-3D for single player games, but stay in 2D for multiplayer because the disorientation for fast speeds and less precise aiming hurt my game some. Don't get me wrong, I love S-3D, but I don't see it as any sort of gameplay advantage (one of the questions in the survey), just much more immersive.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

the only issue with wearing glasses that I have is while eating food- though if 3d tv comes to town then I think I'll get over that as well. Otherwise watching stereo3d news would definitely rule!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”